PDA

View Full Version : Webgrabtool.exe ?

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 02:26 PM
this has only started happening recently.
ive noticed something called WebGrabTool.exe in program files>TorrentStorm>Downloader folder recently.
WebGrabTool.exe also appears in task manager on a regular basis tanking up lots of cpu usage and memory to run when TorrentStorm 1.1 is running. TorrentStorm 1.2.1 does not have it though.

Can someone explain.!!!??

ck-uk
05-08-2004, 02:36 PM
i think you have an option to install it m8 with torrent storm...look in addremove for it or reinstall TS again on its own...

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 02:41 PM
no i had no options. does not appear in ad/remove. appears in firewall asking for access each time i add a new download into torrentStorm client. when dont give it access torrenStorm wont download anything.
ive tried reinstall over and over agian but nothing.

do u know what it is and have you seen it before? maybe its part of TorentStorm 1.1 clenet

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 02:46 PM
look at the clipboard below. its there in red. im not making it up.

Output folder: C:\Program Files\TorrentStorm
Extract: TorrentStorm.exe
Extract: SplashLogo.bmp
Output folder: C:\Program Files\TorrentStorm\Help
Extract: About.htm
Extract: Bittorrent.htm
Extract: getting_started.htm
Extract: Index.htm
Extract: MainWindow-Simple.png
Extract: main_window.htm
Extract: PieceFiles.htm
Extract: RemoveTorrent-Icon.PNG
Extract: settings - downloaderversion.htm
Extract: settings - options.htm
Extract: settings - piece files.htm
Extract: settings - save to.htm
Extract: settings - torrent list.htm
Extract: Settings-DownloaderVersion.PNG
Extract: Settings-Options.PNG
Extract: Settings-PieceFiles.PNG
Extract: Settings-SaveTo.PNG
Extract: Settings-TorrentListFields.PNG
Extract: settings.htm
Extract: Settings.PNG
Extract: StartTransfer-Icon.PNG
Extract: StatusLEDs.htm
Extract: StopTransfer-Icon.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails - Connections.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Files.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Log.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Options.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Pieces.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Scrape.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Status.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails - Torrent.htm
Extract: TorrentDetails-Connections.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Files.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Log.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Options.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Pieces.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Scrape.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Status.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails-Torrent.PNG
Extract: TorrentDetails.htm
Extract: TorrentStorm-Logo-Lighter-MedRes.png
Output folder: C:\Program Files\TorrentStorm\Downloader
Extract: bt33.exe
Extract: bts586.exe
Extract: bts587.exe
Extract: bts587.opt
Extract: python23.dll
Extract: select.pyd
Extract: WebGrabTool.exe
Extract: zlib.pyd
Extract: _PythIPC.pyd
Extract: _socket.pyd
Extract: _sre.pyd
Extract: _ssl.pyd
Extract: _WConio.pyd
Extract: _winreg.pyd
Create folder: C:\Documents and Settings\faiz2k\Start Menu\Programs\TorrentStorm
Create shortcut: C:\Documents and Settings\faiz2k\Start Menu\Programs\TorrentStorm\TorrentStorm.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\Documents and Settings\faiz2k\Start Menu\Programs\TorrentStorm\Uninstall.lnk
Created uninstaller: C:\Program Files\TorrentStorm\Uninstall.exe
Completed

ck-uk
05-08-2004, 03:08 PM
when i tried Ts m8 i'm positive webgrab is an add-on or spyware which had an option if to install it.... :unsure:

try azureus......

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 03:18 PM
this is so annoying. TorrentStorm 1.1 has beeb working like a charm for me up until now. are u possitive there is an option in TS 1.1 for this? can u direct me to the one u have then please?
why would there be spyware in TorrentStorm? they guys who made it wont be so malicious as that would they?

Xero Grid
05-08-2004, 05:56 PM
No, friend. There is no spyware in TorrentStorm. I think it was related to an old Shadow's client. I'm not sure, now. I haven't used TorrentStorm in a while. It could have to do with the way that version scrapes for torrent status.

You can get the new version. TorrentStorm 1.2.2 (http://torrentstorm.com/) is out. Or you can try another client if it really bugs you. There are tons of them.

-- Xero Grid --

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 06:01 PM
but 1.1 is so fast compared to 1.2.1 . i think it has something to do with the fact that 1.1 is based on the old shadow client 1.8.6 and 1.8.7. is that why?

...do u think the latest one is going to work just as good as 1.1 ???

Xero Grid
05-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm afraid I can't say because I'm currently using Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/). I've been through a lot of clients, but it is so far my favorite. The plug-ins are awesome.

I would give it a try if I were you. It's based on Shadow's new client, BitTornado. It could prove to be faster. One thing to keep in mind, TorrentStorm is only a shell to cover up the BT windows. It only has one windows, but it has a process for every torrent download, and each of those processes open hidden dos windows, which don't handle memory well to be begin with. I'm saying this based on 1.1. If it has changed in recent versions, then by all means, correct me.

-- Xero Grid --

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 06:16 PM
ive only ever used TorrentStorm 1.1 and 1.2.1 so i can only tell u my xperience of bittorent is very limited.
TS 1.1 - establishes lots of connections, amazing dl speeds, but hangs/freezez up after 10 mins when WebGrabTool.exe kicks in.

TS 1.2.1. - does not establish as many connections as it should, below average to minimal dl speeds, WebGrabTool.exe not part of this versions so there are no freezez/ hang ups.

Xero Grid
05-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I don't know what else to tell you. You still haven't tried 1.2.2, right? :lol:
Maybe something else might work better for you. The easiest way to find a client you like is to just try them. ABC (http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/index.html) is good, but the person who first made it isn't woring on it anymore, so it isn't updated as much anymore.

-- Xero Grid --

KLResurrectionUser
05-08-2004, 07:08 PM
ive been trying 1.2.2 for the last 30mins. i can only get max dl speed of 12kbps usually. so that means my optimum ul speed should be at 3kbps. even though i have set ul ( global and manual) at maximum 3kbps it still manages to ul at a constant 10kbps while dloading at a silly 4kbps.

Is there a client that will allow me to set upload at maximum 3kbps and stay at 3 and not start jumping higher all by itself.?? coz this is what really bugs me and everyone who doesnt have hi-speed broadband.

ck-uk
05-10-2004, 12:21 PM
s there a client that will allow me to set upload at maximum 3kbps and stay at 3 and not start jumping higher all by itself.?? coz this is what really bugs me and everyone who doesnt have hi-speed broadband

azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/)

Broken
05-11-2004, 08:07 AM
I like TS 1.1, I find the other versions not to be as fast.

For questions about torrentstorm the best place would be in the torrentstorm fourm located at h**p://diablos-elite.co.uk/forum/

StormBlade, the creator of the torrentstorm client is very active in the forum and will more than likely be able to answer your questions about it far better than those people guessing in here.

KLResurrectionUser
05-11-2004, 11:43 AM
i spoke to StormBlade directly a few days ago :
http://diablos-elite.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1879#1879

solutions there. my downloads are fast again. well not that fast.all i need now is help hacking into my isp account and upping my bandwidth by a few mulitiples :ph34r: .

Broken
05-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Great....
question answered by the software's writer.

KLResurrectionUser
05-11-2004, 07:36 PM
you cant get better then that huh :lol: