PDA

View Full Version : Hmm..

kaiweiler
05-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey, earlier today, I was in msconfig in startup removing some uneeded shit, and came accross "dumprep 0 -k" in there, which I have not seen in there before, and does not sound good.
I figured it could be a virus and did a full system scan with AVG and came up empty. Also ran spybot search and destroy which also came up empty!
Searched on google and found many results about viruses though...
Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is safe to remove from my startup list?

dopey
05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
it just means that you recently had a system crash? :o

i think it's ok to use msconfig as a way to clean up your startups as a diagnostic tool, but to permanently disable something, look into using a program tht will get rid of things permanently.

post your hijack this log in a forum, such as computer cops, spywareinfo, etc, and you will get advice on how to clean up your startups in a more effective way.

good luck.

firefox
05-10-2004, 08:49 PM
have you updated your anti virus and done a full system scan to make sure it is not virus related.

kaiweiler
05-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dopey@10 May 2004 - 16:56
it just means that you recently had a system crash? :o

i think it's ok to use msconfig as a way to clean up your startups as a diagnostic tool, but to permanently disable something, look into using a program tht will get rid of things permanently.

post your hijack this log in a forum, such as computer cops, spywareinfo, etc, and you will get advice on how to clean up your startups in a more effective way.

good luck.
thanks, BUT
1. no I did not recently have a system crash
and
2. I am not using msconfig to remove stuff, I am using it to prevent it from starting up when my comp starts up, like say I have icq and it is set to automatically startup on boot, well i go to msconfig to disable automatic start <_<

@firefox, yes updated both spybot and AVG and did full system scans with both, nothing found

tesco
05-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+10 May 2004 - 16:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 10 May 2004 - 16:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dopey@10 May 2004 - 16:56
it just means that you recently had a system crash?&nbsp; :o

i think it&#39;s ok to use msconfig as a way to clean up your startups as a diagnostic tool,&nbsp; but to permanently disable something, look into using a program tht will get rid of things permanently.

post your hijack this log in a forum,&nbsp; such as computer cops,&nbsp; spywareinfo, etc,&nbsp; and you will get advice on how to clean up your startups in a more effective way.

good luck.
thanks, BUT
and
2. I am not using msconfig to remove stuff, I am using it to prevent it from starting up when my comp starts up, like say I have icq and it is set to automatically startup on boot, well i go to msconfig to disable automatic start <_<

@firefox, yes updated both spybot and AVG and did full system scans with both, nothing found [/b][/quote]
ya they are normal, when u get bsod&#39;s its called a memory dump (sometimes, i think) and after that happens you get those in ur startup.

it&#39;s wierd that that is there even though you never had a system crash...i get them too, and my system never crashes. i dont know why...

kaiweiler
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+10 May 2004 - 17:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 10 May 2004 - 17:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by kaiweiler@10 May 2004 - 16:01
<!--QuoteBegin-dopey@10 May 2004 - 16:56

i think it&#39;s ok to use msconfig as a way to clean up your startups as a diagnostic tool, but to permanently disable something, look into using a program tht will get rid of things permanently.

post your hijack this log in a forum, such as computer cops,&nbsp; spywareinfo, etc, and you will get advice on how to clean up your startups in a more effective way.

good luck.
thanks, BUT
and

@firefox, yes updated both spybot and AVG and did full system scans with both, nothing found
ya they are normal, when u get bsod&#39;s its called a memory dump (sometimes, i think) and after that happens you get those in ur startup.

it&#39;s wierd that that is there even though you never had a system crash...i get them too, and my system never crashes. i dont know why... [/b][/quote]
Alright, so I guess I should leave it in my startup then...
just making sure it&#39;s not some undetected virus or spyware or anything&#33;

johnboy27
05-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Windows XP crashed regularly,it just fixes itself up in the background and doesn&#39;t let you know.

ck-uk
05-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+11 May 2004 - 13:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 11 May 2004 - 13:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 May 2004 - 17:21

Originally posted by kaiweiler@10 May 2004 - 16:01
<!--QuoteBegin-dopey@10 May 2004 - 16:56

i think it&#39;s ok to use msconfig as a way to clean up your startups as a diagnostic tool,&nbsp; but to permanently disable something, look into using a program tht will get rid of things permanently.

post your hijack this log in a forum,&nbsp; such as computer cops,&nbsp; spywareinfo, etc,&nbsp; and you will get advice on how to clean up your startups in a more effective way.

good luck.
thanks, BUT
and

it&#39;s wierd that that is there even though you never had a system crash...i get them too, and my system never crashes. i dont know why...
Alright, so I guess I should leave it in my startup then...
just making sure it&#39;s not some undetected virus or spyware or anything&#33; [/b][/quote]
disable it mate if you like if i rembr its to do with soundblaster intervideo crashin wins

backlash
05-13-2004, 02:00 AM
I had the same thing caused by soundblaster driver issue (it rebooted on me...a few times and BSOD)

removed from startup list and all is good. It&#39;s safe to remove. No worries.