PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Neil and Tracy
05-11-2004, 04:58 AM
The message says "THIS SHUTDOWN WAS INITIATED BY NT. AUTHORITY/SYSTEM. THE REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL (RPC) SERVICE TERMINATED UNEXPECTENTLY." What the hell is that anyone?? Is it a crack I need for my Windows xp pro. ?? I reformated my sysytem and put this windows in a little while ago. Thanks for any help in advance! :beerchug:

By the way this is not my first post just had my last windows remember my password and username and when refomated I forgot the pass so made new name and pass.

SingaBoiy
05-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Its a virus/worm.

There are several options to avoid the system shutdown:

Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services->Remote Procedure Call (RPC)->Recovery Tab and choosing "Take No Action" for all three choices.

Go to Start->Run, type in shutdown/a, and press Enter.

Change the system time back by several hours.

Disconnect from the Internet

Another removal option for more advanced users is:

1. Delete msblast.exe (usually found at c:\windows\system32\msblast.exe).
2. Delete the Windows Registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\windows auto update" containing "msblast.exe". This is what causes the virus to start on reboot. To edit the Registry, go to Start->Run and put in "regedit".

Here (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe) is a removal tool

I.am
05-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Always link it to the original removal page for instructions as well :P Tells the validity!

Btw, to cancel shutdown when you get that message go to Start > Run
Type "shutdown -a" without quotes. It will abort the shutdown & then you can proceed with further instructions on the link provided above. :)

Edit: Btw no one mentioned the name, its our very favorite blaster worm :lol:

muchspl2
05-11-2004, 07:14 AM
you know 6 months for now will will have another stupid worm that dumb ass's will be posting about, sad really but I'm not sure with is worst, the idiot that will write the next worm are the idiot who gets its

atiVidia
05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
first: you are on the admin account right? before you start up the computer, disconnect any internet-bound lines.
enter the control panel
enter the "administrative tools" folder
there should be an icon that says "services." click it
you will see a LONG list to the right of the window. scroll down until you find the "Remote Procedure Call" double click it
after double clicking it, a bindow will pop up. there should be a "recovery" tab. click it.
there are three drop-down boxes. all should say "restart the computer." switch those to "restart the service"
hit OK

this doesnt get rid of the virus, but it makes you temporarily immune to its ill effects.

Neil and Tracy
05-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Damn Iwas wondering if that was a freaking worm!! Thanks for the help guys!! and the one jerk that felt it was worth his time to write about how I'm a dumbass for asking what is going on with this problem, I have a masters in Structal Building Design and make $100,000 a year, if you want to see who the real dumbass is then just take a look in the mirror buddy because you just made yourself look like one with that waste of time comment!! Anyways thanks again to the guy's that helped, I will go and get it fixxed up now. :beerchug:

Neil and Tracy
05-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Well guys I tried all that was said and ran the remover tool and that file/worm does not exsist, all the tabs were at "take no action" there is no file named msblast.exe in windows or in my computer for that fact, i did a search for it with no avail. The remover said there is no file to be removed. Damn is there a chance it's a diffrent worm?? Any help would be awsome, and thanks for at least trying guy's. I've had it shutdown on me three times this morning already and it is super annoying, about as annoying as people like MUCHSPL2 with his know it all about everything in life attitude. Anyway thanks again guy's in advance!! :beerchug:

BTW ATIVIDIA I did what you said and moved those to "Restart the service" so hopefully it stops the shutdowns till i can get rid of the problem, Thank You.

manker
05-11-2004, 02:42 PM
perhaps it's a varient of the blaster worm or even a totally different worm.

do a full virus scan with your AV soft (making sure it's fully updated) perhaps that will cure/diagnose the problem.

btw I wouldnt worry about what muchspl2 said; I'm not sure if he made himself look more stupid with the waste of time comment or the assertion that virus writers are "idiots" -- regular fucktards those virii compilers, right up there with those dumb nuclear physicists and retarded rocket scientists :geek:

manker

atiVidia
05-11-2004, 04:56 PM
lol ur welcome

muchspl2
05-11-2004, 05:08 PM
your still an idiot no matter how much money you make
money != smarts and i highly doubt your "internet boast" because most "smart people" would have a firewall are at the very least updated your windows, but its all gravy and next time i order no tomatoes, don't put any on my hamburger

Chewie
05-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@11 May 2004 - 17:16
your still an idiot no matter how much money you make
money != smarts and i highly doubt your "internet boast" because most "smart people" would have a firewall are at the very least updated your windows, but its all gravy and next time i order no tomatoes, don't put any on my hamburger
Most intelligent people would make sense when they post derogatory remarks.
Kudos to you, though, for going it on your own, mate.

Jg427
05-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) is another removal tool. You might give it a try.

tesco
05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
just run windows update and get all updates. during the time u download it, if the message comes up, then quickly go to start>run>type 'shutdown -a' and it will stop shutting down.

then after the update get a good firewall, such as sygate or zone alarm, and download a nice antivirus program, like nod 32 or avg, and update it.

a good spyware removal program is also good...spysweeper is my favorite.

dodgy368
05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
FORMAT! :D

tesco
05-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by dodgy368@11 May 2004 - 17:22
FORMAT! :D
kind of useless, becuase if teh bug got in once, its bound to get in right away again.

AndrewBarker
05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Neil and Tracy@11 May 2004 - 05:06
The message says "THIS SHUTDOWN WAS INITIATED BY NT. AUTHORITY/SYSTEM. THE REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL (RPC) SERVICE TERMINATED UNEXPECTENTLY." What the hell is that anyone?? Is it a crack I need for my Windows xp pro. ?? I reformated my sysytem and put this windows in a little while ago. Thanks for any help in advance! :beerchug:

By the way this is not my first post just had my last windows remember my password and username and when refomated I forgot the pass so made new name and pass.
This my friend is the Sasser worm

info and removal instructions
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ser.b.worm.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html)

Jg427
05-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Stinger (http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger) removes all known variants of sasser, as well as fourty other viruses, and is updated daily.

AndrewBarker
05-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Jg427@11 May 2004 - 22:54
Stinger (http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger) removes all known variants of sasser, as well as fourty other viruses, and is updated daily.
so does NAV if its been kept up to date

Jg427
05-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, and you still need to run the windows update to block the LSASS exploit.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3549ea9e-da3f-43b9-a4f1-af243b6168f3&displaylang=en)

2nd gen noob
05-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Neil and Tracy@11 May 2004 - 13:34
and the one jerk that felt it was worth his time to write about how I'm a dumbass for asking what is going on with this problem, I have a masters in Structal Building Design and make $100,000 a year, if you want to see who the real dumbass is then just take a look in the mirror buddy because you just made yourself look like one with that waste of time comment!!
Just because you have a degree and make a moderate amount of money doesn't mean you're not a dumbass...

muchspl2
05-12-2004, 01:40 AM
word and I really wasn't calling him out right but he had to make a issue of it so I retorted , still think he has delusions of grandeur, probably works for McDonald's :lol:

S!X
05-12-2004, 01:49 AM
haha u fool got the sasser virus enjoy. :lol:

Neil and Tracy
05-12-2004, 03:04 AM
Well to those that helped with my problem thank you very much and i will try all this to see what works, and for the others I hope you feel better with your remarks that make you all sound very childish and by the way I have yet to meet anyone with a masters degree ( 7 to 8 years university) that is a dumbass but I guess there's a first for everything.

2nd gen noob
05-12-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Neil and Tracy@12 May 2004 - 03:12
I have yet to meet anyone with a masters degree ( 7 to 8 years university) that is a dumbass but I guess there's a first for everything.
Indeed.

tesco
05-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+11 May 2004 - 22:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 11 May 2004 - 22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neil and Tracy@12 May 2004 - 03:12
I have yet to meet anyone with a masters degree ( 7 to 8 years university) that is a dumbass but I guess there&#39;s a first for everything.
Indeed. [/b][/quote]
Ur 4th gen right? how come your using your old account?

atiVidia
05-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+11 May 2004 - 22:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob &#064; 11 May 2004 - 22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neil and Tracy@12 May 2004 - 03:12
I have yet to meet anyone with a masters degree ( 7 to 8 years university) that is a dumbass but I guess there&#39;s a first for everything.
Indeed. [/b][/quote]
;)

@ rossco: cuz 4th gen has n00bified himself

tracy ur cool dont let this asexual fool get on your nerves :)

edit: forgot the @rossco part :teehee:

2nd gen noob
05-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+12 May 2004 - 03:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 12 May 2004 - 03:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@11 May 2004 - 22:16
<!--QuoteBegin-Neil and Tracy@12 May 2004 - 03:12
Indeed.
Ur 4th gen right? how come your using your old account? [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I&#39;m getting amphoteric88 and 2nd gen noob up to 999 posts, 3rd gen noob up to 5555 posts. No particular reason... :lol:

Filliz
05-12-2004, 04:20 AM
People.... :rolleyes:
Stop bitching about how people are "real dumbasses" for getting infected by a virus or not using a firewall or whatever. :frusty:
Shit happens...and don&#39;t you tell me that all of you always were the big computer-connaiseurs when you first got one and never fucked something up <_<
We all learn new stuff everyday;so instead of making stupid remarks about it,help people in learning about this stuff or STFU&#33;

Anyway,to keep it short...You&#39;re not a dumbass for getting a virus on your computer :smilie4:
Some people are just not that kind that sits day in day out behind their computer,surfing the net.
Yes...indeed...some people do have a life where non-computer related issues are far more important then updating their virus defenitions or learning about new worms :rolleyes:

dodgy368
05-12-2004, 08:20 AM
kind of useless, becuase if teh bug got in once, its bound to get in right away again.

Not if you update your av. :D