PDA

View Full Version : Pc Keeps Crashing

the mask
05-12-2004, 10:28 AM
hi, my pc keeps crashing (re-starting) any ideas. i cant even do a virus check because the crashing intervals are to soon.

AndrewBarker
05-12-2004, 10:38 AM
is there a message saying its going to shut down after so many seconds

sounds like you have the Sasser.B.Worm
info and removal instructions
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ser.b.worm.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html)

the mask
05-12-2004, 12:52 PM
no messages, just crashes.

tesco
05-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by the mask@12 May 2004 - 08:00
no messages, just crashes.
does it just lock up or does it restart really quickly?

for restarting:
riht click my computer>properties>advacned>click settings for startup and recovery>uncheck auto restart. Then next time instead of restarting it will go to a blue screen and display an error message. Write this down and post it here or search google.

For Lockups, i dunno, maybe a driver or prgoram conflict. run msconfig (start>run>msconfig) then click startup and uncheck any unneeded programs.

do a virus scan with an uptodate scanner.

do a spyware scan, with an uptodate scanner. spysweeper is good.

well good luck, but we really need a bit more info.

edit: oh ya, are you OCing?

Lzzrdboy
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm guessing you are unable to enter control panel or run av or spyware scans if you're system is restarting prior to getting to the desktop...if this is the case, you may want to use a rescue disk but to be honest...sounds like a memory problem.

Try removing one or more mem sticks and restarting. If that doesn't work, try booting with just ONE memory chip installed.

You may want to use one of the boot disks from the Ultimate Boot Disk series to further troubleshoot...

the mask
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
it just re-starts really quickly, no locking up, and im not overclocking. done the sasser worm check and nothing found. will do the above instructions now.

EDIT: ok this is the message on the blue screen, it first tells me i have a problem etc.. then page_fault_in_monpaged_area
then it goes on as you know and at the bottom is this, stop:0x00000050 (0xffffffe2,0x00000000, 0x8053434e,0x00000000)

AndrewBarker
05-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Tap F8 as you are rebooting to go into safe mode

then hopefully you can run your AV checks etc.

lynx
05-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by the mask@12 May 2004 - 13:28
it just re-starts really quickly, no locking up, and im not overclocking. done the sasser worm check and nothing found. will do the above instructions now.

EDIT: ok this is the message on the blue screen, it first tells me i have a problem etc.. then page_fault_in_monpaged_area
then it goes on as you know and at the bottom is this, stop:0x00000050 (0xffffffe2,0x00000000, 0x8053434e,0x00000000)
This is almost always a driver problem. It may tell you the name of the driver just after those numbers you quoted. Why do people always stop just before they give the vital bit of information?

Have you just added new hardware, or updated the drivers? If so, try removing the hardware or rolling back the drivers.

the mask
05-12-2004, 02:38 PM
there has also been this error message 0x0000008e and win32k.sys, the page also said something about disabling memory in the bios settings but how do i do that if its necessary. i have not installed any new drivers but that win32k.sys i got from the ms website update thingy, but that was during my crashing problem

EDIT: it crashes in safe mode aswell

ck-uk
05-12-2004, 02:43 PM
hi lynx page_fault_in_monpaged_area is a mem problem i think m8 if you go to ms they tell you bs about you having too much ram n cut it down to 128mb.what i did on my umm i cant think of the manu ak38n mobo was change the timim' to 5-2-2-2 otherwise it would crash with the same msg.Or maybe reseat it m8....

the mask
05-12-2004, 02:45 PM
ok i have 512mb of ram so i will take 1 stick out and see what happens, but i have had 512mb of ram for about 6 months now and everything has been ok

EDIT: is there any software that cures registry problems automatically because the ram thing didnt work

ck-uk
05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
dont take one out mate go in bios ,advanced chipset features.set your timmin on manual if you can ,change to

5 t,ras
2 trcd
2 trp

2 cas latencey

maybe changin' the cas latency or take both sticks out then back in or in different banks...

to check all drivers ,start run type ....verifier.....

in the new window ,create standard settins ,ok,select all drivers on this computer.Ater it reboots if it doesn't crash it should tell you any drivers at fault.When finish'd repeat verifier ,delete existin' settings.

is there any software that cures registry problems automatically

windoctor...

the mask
05-12-2004, 09:31 PM
ok, the first thing you mention ck, i cant find in the advanced chipset features or anywhere else in the bios for that matter. as for the second piece of advice when i do the first part of the instruction my pc works ok and doesnt crash in safe mode of normal mode and it doesnt display any faults with any drivers BUT when i do the verifier thing again and 'delete existing settings', then go back to normal boot up the pc starts crashing again. i ran windoctor and it found several problems and repaired them but still no change. in the blue error screen that comes up when the pc crashes it has said registry problem a few times and come up with this code 0x00000051, but everytime it crashes it comes up with a different error message but the most common is registry problem.

trillscout
05-12-2004, 10:38 PM
dude, what was the last thing you did when your comp crashed?
were you playing a video game?

Cause if you were it's definitely a mem problem. In this case
replace your stick one of them is defected.

By the way what ver of windows?

the mask
05-12-2004, 10:48 PM
i dont play any games on my pc, the last thing i was doing i was d/l some music which i left on overnight and when i got up the pc was continuously crashing. im using win xp. im d/l the xp os from suprnova right now and will re-install over the one i have now, i think thats what i should do

Lzzrdboy
05-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Dude...just do the memory check like I originally said. BTW: Losing a mem. chip is kinda like blowing a tire...IT JUST HAPPENS...doesn't matter if you've had it installed for 6+ mos....

the mask
05-13-2004, 07:51 PM
my registry was corrupt, what does that mean

Lzzrdboy
05-14-2004, 03:59 AM
Depends on what exactly was "corrupt". Did you get an error stating only "the registry is corrupt" or were you prompted that a particular file or key was causing an issue?

Thanks for your patience...

zapjb
05-14-2004, 06:37 AM
My surmise. Last thing you were doing was downloading. Virus & or Trojan infestation. Get the latest version of Stinger & or Avasts Cleaner.

the mask
05-14-2004, 11:34 AM
it just said on the blue screen that the registry is corrupt, i took my pc into a shop and he also said the same thing, but what does that mean, how does that happen and how can it be prevented in the future??

Lzzrdboy
05-14-2004, 11:35 AM
You should probably consider getting a big fat super-sized jimmy for your computer...that's what I use...

Check out www.trojan.com or www.lifestyles.com...

:rolleyes:

the mask
05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
jimmy???

AndrewBarker
05-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by the mask@13 May 2004 - 19:59
my registry was corrupt, what does that mean
youre registry is a huge database which windows keeps all its settings, all your program settings, information about all installed software and hardware etc.