PDA

View Full Version : Help With Movies

highguy
05-12-2004, 01:54 PM
ok, first hello all, this is my first post on this board, anyway i just downloaded some new movies (divx)avi, and tried to view in avi viewer and in winamp, but when i hit play a black screen shows up with a divx logo in the bottom right corner. the logo fades and no vidoe ever comes on. does this mean the movie is not good or do i just not have the correct codecs and stuff to view them??

thanks
biglon

C04L
05-12-2004, 10:25 PM
I had a problem with no picture useing another player and i downloaded this . ffdshow (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow) .
inside this has loads of codecs etc ... try it .. it wont hurt anyway . otherwise i surgest trying another player?

any regular users feel free to correct me :)

muchspl2
05-13-2004, 12:22 AM
could be fake, try it in videolan http://www.videolan.org
if it doesn't play in that it's most likely a fake

highguy
05-13-2004, 12:34 AM
thanks for the reply, that ffdshow didnt work, but i am currently downloading vlc and i will let you know if it works muchspl2!!
thanks

highguy
05-13-2004, 12:46 AM
ok opened the zip file, clicked on vlc.exe and nothing happened, i pressed ctrl alt del and it said the prog was running but i cannot see it? i am running win98 se, can you tell me how to install it??

highguy
05-13-2004, 01:55 AM
ok installed and running videolan!!!! works fine with all other vids until i try to resize screen then it performs illegal operation!! when i try to play those avi files it plays a blank screen so i guess it is a bad file then? i guess i'll look in the verified before grabbing anything else.
thanks for the help!!!

delphin460
05-13-2004, 02:12 AM
um , have you got at least directx 9 running on your computer with win 98

win 98 needs at least direct x 8 i believe to play avi's and stuff correctly

i know bsplayer wont even run without directx 8

highguy
05-13-2004, 06:50 AM
im not running directx8 its lower, iknow it is, but im not having a problen viewing all avi files i can view some divx and others are just a black screen with the divx logo I have gotten alot of codecs but nothing seems to work.
another question, i use nero burning 5.5 to burn vcds from avi files, can i burn divx and xvids also, i guess the question is if i can view it on the computer will i be able to burn it through that prog??

thanks again!

muchspl2
05-13-2004, 06:53 AM
check my sig on how-2 svcd/vcd and kvcd
kvcd is dA-shiznit but I have provided guides for both :)
good luck

highguy
05-13-2004, 08:09 AM
cool thx, i have a kvcd of dave chappelle killing them softly, came out dvd quality!!
i need that prog to convert but i hate how long it takes tmpge to convert the way i do it is just load the avi files into nero and it converts them it still takes along time but i put it to burn and automaticcly shut down after completion so i can leave it will that work with divx and others?

manker
05-13-2004, 04:50 PM
will that work with divx and others?yeah nero will burn those too.

wrt to ur initial point:

black screen shows up with a divx logo in the bottom right corner. the logo fades and no vidoe ever comes onI'm pretty sure that file is a fake. I had the exact same problem with an avi I downloaded, I had advice on this board to load it into Gspot to see what it came up with -- it was a fake! try it with your file.

manker

Entity101
05-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Exactly. Blank movie means a fake. Otherwise you would have gotten an error (like could not find correct codec to play this file).

highguy
05-13-2004, 09:59 PM
ok i will try that gspot prog i got it with the codec pack
thank you everyone for helping me!!!! it is all appreciated.

thank you

naps2
05-14-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum as well so please be patient.

I downloaded a few video files as well and most of them are great, but I also have some files which just show the DIVX logo on the bottom corner of the screen.

I tried a few different players like AVIPreview, Divx Player Cliprex and a few others with no luck. Funny thing is that GSpot tells me that it is a valid video file, it will even render with no errors.

So either I don't have the right player or there are some people out there deliberately sharing false files.

I really hope that it is my player or else I might start losing faith in fellow sharers.

naps

highguy
05-14-2004, 08:53 AM
ok i got it i was just being impatient!!! i see what it is doing and i see where to convert to- kvcd etc.

p.s. sorry for the PM

manker
05-14-2004, 10:31 AM
hey naps, your player and codecs are almost certainly fine. when I said it showed as a fake I didnt mean it wasn't a valid .avi - the file plays fine, just how it was intended to play - I meant that it wasn't the film that the file name purported it to be.

When you press the legnth check info box Gspot will tell you (at least it told me) that the .avi has several mb's of "junk" attached to it -- in this case 680mbs of "junk" -- thats how Gspot told me it was a fake.

So either I don't have the right player or there are some people out there deliberately sharing false files.
those bastards. :angry:

manker

Cyclepath
05-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Of course some people are just lazy and dont remove the fakes from their shared folder and then it just keeps on spreading with more and more sources so it looks like a good file to go for.

So don't forget to delete em when you find out what they are..

naps2
05-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks manker, I had a closer look at GSpot and I see the the "junk" that it reported with the file. Oh well, I guess that means I take a closer look at all files before downloading the complete thing.

No great effort really, just a pain.