PDA

View Full Version : Usb Problem Plz Help

Rizindon
05-14-2004, 04:31 PM
i got a problem i got an external cd writer and it connects using USb but everythme i connect it in it works but it gives me and yellow box in the corner sayin an high speed thingy has been plugged into a small speed hub so wen i use it it its like 3X as slow at burning 700mb then it shud be plz help

SingaBoiy
05-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Do you know if the usb port is 2.0 or not? If it isnt, then its just not fast enough to transfer the data to your burner

Rizindon
05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
im not sure wat it is i dnt know how to find its like i only figured this out yesterday
that my bruner at 16x can bourn a 700mb in 5 mins thats was wen the writer was with em and not used for weeks but was plugged in last nite my bro borrowed it now its gona bak to 16 mins to burn a 700mb again y the bak to normal thing is it because it was plugged in for ages or sumthin?

delphin460
05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
yes you need to get a usb 2 port , eg some mobo's have it

but , the best bet go buy a usb card for your comp , cost like $30 and you will get max transfer to your ext drive

lynx
05-14-2004, 07:49 PM
There are 2 versions of USB port, Ver 1.x runs at up to 12Mb/s, version 2.0 runs at up to 480Mb/s.

Your external CD burner ideally needs a version 2.0 port but you are plugging it into a version 1.x port.

Post your mobo type and someone may be able to tell you if it supports USB 2.0.
In any case, you need the latest service pack and drivers to support USB 2.0, otherwise they will only run as version 1.1 at best.

If you are sure you have got the latest service pack and drivers you could simply try plugging the drive into each port in turn. If it gives the same message on all ports then you probably haven't got a USB 2.0 port.

tesco
05-14-2004, 09:23 PM
could be a driver problem, make sure you have the latest drivers for your usb ports...