PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Clean My Fan

Benno
03-16-2003, 04:48 PM
I want to clean the fan of my cpu cooler, that it makes less sound.
Does anybody know how I do this?

CornerPocket
03-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Compressed air works fine. Clean the fan/heatsink as one. Or just grab a few Q-tips and brush off the build up, but the compressed air (in can) is best bet and you can blow clean the entire pc unit ...Quick-Fast :D

As for quieter fan, you may have to change to another, all fans sound different based on size.

poli
03-16-2003, 05:42 PM
i just cleaned my cpu fan the other day and go like 10c lower than normal on cpu temp and its much quiter so its a great way to keep your comp. colder and quieter

Benno
03-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks CP im gonna try it out. :)

Luca_Snipes
03-17-2003, 02:04 AM
If you have the time to spare, and the ability to remove the fan, i've found a damp cloth is better and longer lasting than the compressed air, took me an hour to clean last time i did a HSF assembly, but it was worth it

ooo
03-17-2003, 02:40 AM
yea well herez a bad method...

take out ur fan AND BLOW!!!! lolz blow the dust off

imported_QuietSilence!
03-17-2003, 02:42 AM
compressed air is a great way to do it but be carful not to tip the can too much as they tend to spit liquid out and its not good to get it on ur cpu it will freez the spot that it touches and temp. devations are not good for chips

Eatchipz
03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Could u clean it with a hover just want to know and how many times a year sould u clean it

imported_QuietSilence!
03-17-2003, 10:25 AM
i wouldnt try a vacum it could make static and that could fry things video ram is vary susceptible to static

Eatchipz
03-17-2003, 10:37 AM
what can I do any one got any ideas

CornerPocket
03-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by QuietSilence!@16 March 2003 - 20:42
compressed air is  a great way to do it  but be carful not to  tip the can  too much as they tend to spit  liquid out and its  not good to get it on ur cpu it  will freez the spot that it touches and  temp. devations are not  good for chips
Possibility only towards the end of can use (but why tip the can), interminent bursts works just fine :D

CornerPocket
03-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Luca_Snipes@16 March 2003 - 20:04
If you have the time to spare, and the ability to remove the fan, i've found a damp cloth is better and longer lasting than the compressed air, took me an hour to clean last time i did a HSF assembly, but it was worth it
So how did you get in between the heatseak fins? Using the method provided by Soul814...
take out ur fan AND BLOW!!!! lolz blow the dust off ... :lol:

no pun intended........everyone has there methods and I'm sure they all work fine, guess it depends on how much time you want to spend cleaning and how much time you want to spend away from here :P

Supernatural
03-20-2003, 04:42 AM
Vaccum with brush attachment is best. Compressed air is messy and just blows dust all around. It doesn't really remove dust properly.