PDA

View Full Version : Linux Min Req

mayhs
05-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi i am i total noob to linux and on my 2nd computer i formated today. Im wondering what are the min system requirments for linux mandrake and linux redhat. Thanks...

shn
05-16-2004, 01:59 AM
Does'nt really matter what they are. It all depends on your pc. What are the specs?

Mandrake is bloated. Redhat should work pretty well even on a slower pc.

mayhs
05-16-2004, 02:03 AM
well on the comp that i want to install linux the specs are

300 mhz INTEL P2
64 MB RAM
52x CD-ROM

well thats some that i know for sure if you need to know more then i will find the spec sheet.

And one more question where can i download the os's??? They are free right?

shn
05-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by mayhs@15 May 2004 - 20:11
well on the comp that i want to install linux the specs are

300 mhz INTEL P2
64 MB RAM
52x CD-ROM

well thats some that i know for sure if you need to know more then i will find the spec sheet.

And one more question where can i download the os's??? They are free right?
You need another pc.

The iso's can be downloaded form linuxiso.org. I'm not sure if redhat iso's are still there. If not you can go to redhat.com/mirrors and download from a mirror server.

With thoose specs it relly does not matter what you put on it. Unless your using it for a service or something. For a desktop or workstation thoose specs are useless.

4play
05-16-2004, 11:11 PM
thats a bit harsh shn. I bought my sister a p1 166 machine which had win98 installed and i was amazed at how fast it was mainly because it was a fresh install.

with specs like that dont expect alot from linux but use a simple window manager and im sure it will be run reasonably well.

shn
05-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by 4play@16 May 2004 - 17:19
thats a bit harsh shn. I bought my sister a p1 166 machine which had win98 installed and i was amazed at how fast it was mainly because it was a fresh install.

with specs like that dont expect alot from linux but use a simple window manager and im sure it will be run reasonably well.
It really has nothing to do with Linux. It's the applications your running "in" Linux. I just recently switched from Sun Java to IBM java basically because java kills performance on a linux box. And even for me I have a shitload of ram and I still get pounded.

Sure it will run. But what are you going to do just sit there and look at a lightweight window manager all day?

Linux is a multitasking o.s., I obviously can't stress that enough since most people have not a clue what multitasking is. I don't know about anyone else but I use LInux for compiling software, running multimedia apps, filesharing and just about all the same stuff that people do on Windows.............minus the crashes.

If your a amazed at a p1 166 in this day and age then I feel sorry for you. Well, actually I don't. :)