PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Question

j2k4
05-16-2004, 04:10 AM
I need to do a reinstall.

I have some goofy problem I created by messing about where I shouldn't have (par for the course).

My question is this:

Can I take a clean formatted HDD, install it as my primary drive, load XP Pro, then install my normal main HDD (with the defective OS) as a slave, and pull all my goodies back onto the "new" primary drive without an OS conflict on re-boot?

I plan to re-format the slave after I'm finished (both drives are 80G WD Caviar).

Anyone see any problems here?

These types of things drive me crazy (although I must say, my luck has been fairly good), 'cuz I'm under the gun to get it done tomorrow.

Virtualbody1234
05-16-2004, 04:13 AM
Should work without a problem. I have done the same thing on many machines to recover data.

Just be sure to set the jumper to slave on the older drive.

tesco
05-16-2004, 04:29 AM
yes it will work fine. i recomend you make some partitions (if you havent already done that) so that you can format the windows parrtition if you have problems and not loose all of your programs and downloads.

j2k4
05-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Man, what would I do without you guys? :D

I'll proceed tomorrow morning with an unfurrowed brow and a clear mind. ;)

Thanks!! :)

DWk
05-16-2004, 05:19 AM
I would recommend (for next time), to have a spare HDD in which you can backup the important stuff. I have about 3 or 4 HDD's to spare which I use in emergencies, and only use my 80gig WD, partitioned in 3.

:)

adamp2p
05-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by DWk@15 May 2004 - 21:27
I would recommend (for next time), to have a spare HDD in which you can backup the important stuff. I have about 3 or 4 HDD's to spare which I use in emergencies, and only use my 80gig WD, partitioned in 3.

Where ya been, DwK, I miss our frequent arguments!!! :P

atiVidia
05-16-2004, 06:52 AM
as VB said, yes it will work so long as u change the jumper settings on the old drive to slave :).

if i am not mistaken, you cant boot an os off of a slave anyway...

tesco
05-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@16 May 2004 - 02:00
as VB said, yes it will work so long as u change the jumper settings on the old drive to slave :).

if i am not mistaken, you cant boot an os off of a slave anyway...
but it has to be written into the master boot file which is on the primary drive...so you couldnt boot off it until you added the entry...

j2k4
05-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by DWk@15 May 2004 - 23:27

All good stuff to know, guys.

DWk-

That is my aim; I've got two 80g on-board with a 20G on the shelf (OS, AV, firewall, utilities, etc.) for just the backup you describe. ;)

Anyway-thanks again; I'm off to do the dirty deed! :D

peat moss
05-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I wonder if the file transfer wizard would be of any use in this case?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertz.../november12.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/crawford/november12.asp)

lynx
05-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by peat moss@16 May 2004 - 16:16
I wonder if the file transfer wizard would be of any use in this case?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertz.../november12.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/crawford/november12.asp)
A useful link for those who want to do it, but the system you are taking the info from needs to be a working system, if it has already crashed beyond bootable use it is too late to try that method.

In any case, you still have to re-install all your software. Making a Ghost image every so often and keeping your data on a separate partition is far more useful. I even keep the latest Ghost image on the data partition, and also dump it off to dvd.

peat moss
05-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks Lynx I was just wondering if it works or not .Its like a lot of XP feature's, I'v yet to try. :D

zapjb
05-16-2004, 07:16 PM
My sig, my sig. :01: