PDA

View Full Version : Those Little Icons On The Left

tesco
05-16-2004, 05:07 AM
ok you know those icons on the right that tell you if there are new posts? well ive got a strange problem, which ive noticed has been happening for months now.

they are supposed to go another color if there is a post. but sometimes even posts i havent read the icon color changes...here is a pic:
Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/forum.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/forum.jpg)

the green circled ones i havent looked at yet, the icon is blue or red as you can see. this is how it is supposed to be. in the red circled ones are topics that i have read; you will notice that the icon is slightly greyed out. this is also normal...

what isnt normal is that the ones circled in blue are greyed out yet i havent actually read these topics....

why is that? it works fine on all other forums but this one...

DWk
05-16-2004, 05:14 AM
Scroll down on a section on the forum and find out ;)

sparsely
05-16-2004, 05:15 AM
Notice the second red circle from top...now look to the far right.

that's my name there. :D

tesco
05-16-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@16 May 2004 - 00:23
Notice the second red circle from top...now look to the far right.

that's my name there. :D
my name is in the first red cirlce :P

:lol:

@dwk, this? http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/forum2.jpg

i know, it says that those ones that arent greyed out should be where there are new posts. but even areas where there are new posts are still being greyed out.

edit: by new posts, do they mean posts that you have not read, or new posts as in they are 1 hour old...or something to that extent...? :unsure:

DWk
05-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Then I have noooo idea lol. I think it's a problem with IPB. Either way, maybe ANY admin could answer this, but I doubt any is "available" ;)

tesco
05-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by DWk@16 May 2004 - 00:30
Then I have noooo idea lol. I think it's a problem with IPB. Either way, maybe ANY admin could answer this, but I doubt any is "available" ;)
lol thanks anyway.

maybe the admin fairy will come around tonight while im sleeping :D ooh i cant wait till tommorrow when i wake up, i now have 2 things on this forum to look forward too :)

thewizeard
05-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+16 May 2004 - 05:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 16 May 2004 - 05:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@16 May 2004 - 00:30
Then I have noooo idea lol. I think it&#39;s a problem with IPB. Either way, maybe ANY admin could answer this, but I doubt any is "available" ;)
lol thanks anyway.

maybe the admin fairy will come around tonight while im sleeping :D ooh i cant wait till tommorrow when i wake up, i now have 2 things on this forum to look forward too :) [/b][/quote]
Well it does not need a fairy to tell you that....or maybe it does... :sorcerer:

There are a number of possibilities...

1. You have already read the post.

2. Go back to number 1. :lol:

@ Seriously though, I have also noticed that after a while they do get " greyed" out so this might not be a bug, but a feature.

It could also prove that you are reading too many posts, or your are not reading the posts fast enough..... (depending on whether it is a bug or a feature.... ) :)

[B][O][T]
05-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Here&#39;s what I think, You open a lot of topics in new windows, read/reply or whatever click View New Posts. Ofcourse the one You havnt read/replied to WILL be greyed out.

This image explains a little more about the icons:
http://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/icons.jpg

BOT

tesco
05-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by nigel123+16 May 2004 - 06:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nigel123 @ 16 May 2004 - 06:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@16 May 2004 - 05:33
<!--QuoteBegin-DWk@16 May 2004 - 00:30
Then I have noooo idea lol. I think it&#39;s a problem with IPB. Either way, maybe ANY admin could answer this, but I doubt any is "available" ;)
lol thanks anyway.

maybe the admin fairy will come around tonight while im sleeping :D ooh i cant wait till tommorrow when i wake up, i now have 2 things on this forum to look forward too :)
Well it does not need a fairy to tell you that....or maybe it does... :sorcerer:

There are a number of possibilities...

1. You have already read the post.

2. Go back to number 1. :lol:

@ Seriously though, I have also noticed that after a while they do get " greyed" out so this might not be a bug, but a feature.

It could also prove that you are reading too many posts, or your are not reading the posts fast enough..... (depending on whether it is a bug or a feature.... ) :) [/b][/quote]
no i havent already read those posts. you see i go to bed, then in the morning in hardware world, becuase it is so slow, its got about 10 new posts. they are all fine.

i go to software world, it shows like teh first 5 as new posts, and the rest greyed out, but the last things i read were like a page back&#33;

Here&#39;s what I think, You open a lot of topics in new windows, read/reply or whatever click View New Posts. Ofcourse the one You havnt read/replied to WILL be greyed out.

thanks for the image, could have used that a long time ago :lol: but i understand it now, i have for about a month.

no i dont open a lot of topics in new windows, i actually only use one window for all my posts...what i do do though is open the forum website, see if there is anything new in hardware world, then close the window if there isnt...then 10 minutes later open it again...

Chevy
05-16-2004, 02:07 PM
I find the read post function messes up sometimes too. Also, occasionaly when going to page 2 of the lounge I lose all my http://filesharingtalk.com/style_images/FST/newpost.gif&#39;s when returning to page 1 :huh:

Maybe something wrong with the "FSTforum_read" cookie?

tesco
05-16-2004, 02:17 PM
could this be because i am using firefox?

Chevy
05-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@16 May 2004 - 14:25
could this be because i am using firefox?
I doubt it - I&#39;m using Firefox too but had the same thing happen when using IE.