PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Rat Faced
03-16-2003, 06:54 PM
When i was a lad....

Seriously, the last few months have seen a distinct deterioration in the perceived attitude on the forum.

This used to be a real friendly place; now everywhere I look there are Mods getting flamed for doing their...well I would say job, but that impies payment, and they are doing it free. Its volunteer work.

The n00bs get flamed for no reason, and sometimes the established members (hell, i'll get flamed for starting this thread)....members seem to stalk each other across the board, flaming for no identifiably cause.... I mean, if you dislike someone, avoid 'em.....dont stalk them all over.

Why is this?

I thought at first that it was a blowover from the Forum war with TRX, but its getting worse, not better.

Has there been a reduction of the average age of the members (or at least those that post anything)...and a large proportion are now in elementary school (or should be)...?

For gods sake, this is supposed to be a 'community' with shared ideals...... The Mods are there for a purpose, they arent gonna go away...the more you flame them, then the greater the need for them.

They are there to keep things tidy, and not let things go over the line....in this respect they do a great job, I cant think of any SERIOUS forum that will let people get away with so much.

No one expects that we will agree on everything, we're all individuals....If you disagree then say 'I disagree...because' but lets keep the flaming for the lounge...

We have got somewhere to let our hair down.....lets keep the bickering in the one place guys...or I can see the Admin having to make some tough decisions in the near future.....

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 07:03 PM
I wish I had a clap emote lol

I agree to a point.. maybe someone ruffled your feathers.

I kind of like it here :o

Only here for a giggle..

Its the internet after all

Rat Faced
03-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by alan36uk@16 March 2003 - 19:03

I kind of like it here :o

Only here for a giggle..

Alan...

the surprising thing is, no one has gone after me or ruffled my feathers....I expect that will change now though ;)

Its just something Ive noticed, and it gets to a point that you have to stand up and say something.......and I decided to stick up for the MODs instead of having ALL the threads flaming them :D

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+16 March 2003 - 20:07--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 16 March 2003 - 20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--alan36uk@16 March 2003 - 19:03

I kind of like it here&nbsp; :o

Only here for a giggle..

Alan...

the surprising thing is, no one has gone after me or ruffled my feathers....I expect that will change now though ;)

Its just something Ive noticed, and it gets to a point that you have to stand up and say something.......and I decided to stick up for the MODs instead of having ALL the threads flaming them :D [/b][/quote]
I know I lark about on here...
some do take it to heart...
I am with you though...
The mods do a great job and I am
warming to this place :o
Damn did I say that ?

A forum is for free speech so go for it &#33;&#33;

dwightfry
03-16-2003, 07:17 PM
I totally agree. This place isn&#39;t as fun as it used to be.

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@16 March 2003 - 20:17
People come and people go...

I have no idea what it USED to be like

But I enjoy the banter with you all :D

tilen76
03-16-2003, 07:43 PM
I don&#39;t really know what to say. It sure isn&#39;t the same place it used to be.

It could be the average age, eventhough I&#39;ve seen many adults joining lately too.

There&#39;s definitely a lack of intelligence, or at least some sort of it.

Some members, who contributed their humour and their intellect have been missing or not posting as much as they used to lately.
I don&#39;t wanna name any names, but at least three of them come to my mind: deckard, Infested_Cats, UKMan.
They all contributed a lot to the board atmosphere, I must say that. I sure miss their posts.

And many members, even those who still contribute have found other places to hang out, so they automatically don&#39;t contribute as much as they used to. Which puts others into the spotlight more.

And there&#39;s one thing that bothers me a lot:
It seems that certain members just need to reply to every topic there is, even if they don&#39;t have anything useful to reply with. I don&#39;t know why, but this definitely contributes to the bad mood on the board. It leads every thread off the original topic, mainly into flaming and pesonal settlements.

If someone wants to be funny, there&#39;s the "Funny stuff" room. Post the funnies there and leave the other rooms alone.

Peace

kAb
03-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Rat Faced:

you are part of the problem.
I posted my view of the war with iraq, and you got all pissed off at me for having an avatar of the wtc.

you speak to soon. i don&#39;t know why that had to happen.

calm down, take a couple deep breaths, and ignore the irregularities.

Ynhockey
03-16-2003, 08:38 PM
I think this is happenning because regulars are becoming annoyed with all the threads that could be answered by simply reading the FAQ and by all &#39;kazaa is going down&#39; threads, and the like. Maybe i&#39;m not the one to speak as i haven&#39;t really been to this forum for long, but seriously, to me it seems like there&#39;s some &#39;n00b attack&#39; that&#39;s sorta ruining the forum.

mrcall1969
03-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by kAb@16 March 2003 - 20:50
Rat Faced:

you are part of the problem.
I posted my view of the war with iraq, and you got all pissed off at me for having an avatar of the wtc.

you speak to soon. i don&#39;t know why that had to happen.

calm down, take a couple deep breaths, and ignore the irregularities.
Hey you can&#39;t say Rat Faced is the problem, he made one comment to you and apologised for it, leave it at that&#33;

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 09:04 PM
There&#39;s been a big influx of new members recently, and there&#39;s bound to be a few bad eggs in a big batch.

Let&#39;s hope we can weed out the unpleasantries, because there&#39;s usually a nice atmosphere in here.

PS@mrcall1969: :( we wuz robbed :(

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@16 March 2003 - 22:04
There&#39;s been a big influx of new members recently, and there&#39;s bound to be a few bad eggs in a big batch.

Let&#39;s hope we can weed out the unpleasantries, because there&#39;s usually a nice atmosphere in here.

PS@mrcall1969: :( we wuz robbed :(
name n shame ?

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 09:08 PM
hell no, don&#39;t wanna start getting flamed myself&#33;

Mivaro
03-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@16 March 2003 - 21:38
I think this is happenning because regulars are becoming annoyed with all the threads that could be answered by simply reading the FAQ and by all &#39;kazaa is going down&#39; threads, and the like.
i personally don&#39;t get annoyed with "stupid noob" questions and such, i have more probs with the flaming about it.... <_< what is the problem with just answering the question nicely and tell there&#39;s a FAQ and a search function?

I too think it&#39;s less fun around here then when i joined a few months back, way too much flaming, spamming and hostile remarks at each other. <_<

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 10:35 PM
here&#39;s a suggestion: why don&#39;t we put :rtfaq: in with the regular smilies to make it more accessible?

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@16 March 2003 - 11:54
When i was a lad....

Seriously, the last few months have seen a distinct deterioration in the perceived attitude on the forum.

This used to be a real friendly place; now everywhere I look there are Mods getting flamed for doing their...well I would say job, but that impies payment, and they are doing it free. Its volunteer work.

The n00bs get flamed for no reason, and sometimes the established members (hell, i&#39;ll get flamed for starting this thread)....members seem to stalk each other across the board, flaming for no identifiably cause....&nbsp; I mean, if you dislike someone, avoid &#39;em.....dont stalk them all over.

Why is this?

I thought at first that it was a blowover from the Forum war with TRX, but its getting worse, not better.&nbsp;

Has there been a reduction of the average age of the members (or at least those that post anything)...and a large proportion are now in elementary school (or should be)...?

For gods sake, this is supposed to be a &#39;community&#39; with shared ideals......&nbsp; The Mods are there for a purpose, they arent gonna go away...the more you flame them, then the greater the need for them.&nbsp;

They are there to keep things tidy, and not let things go over the line....in this respect they do a great job, I cant think of any SERIOUS forum that will let people get away with so much.

No one expects that we will agree on everything, we&#39;re all individuals....If you disagree then say &#39;I disagree...because&#39;&nbsp; but lets keep the flaming for the lounge...

We have got somewhere to let our hair down.....lets keep the bickering in the one place guys...or I can see the&nbsp; Admin having to make some tough decisions in the near future.....
maybe thats why flinger left... :( i know that ill leave soon, but nobody cares.

scribblec
03-16-2003, 10:37 PM
the dissin revolves around me

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 10:37 PM
aaaw... i care, slammy&#33; B)

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-16-2003, 10:39 PM
why are you leavin SLAMMY?&#33;?&#33;? Your one of the few that joines before December which means your sort of a verteran&#33; :P

The Great Dude
03-16-2003, 10:39 PM
I thought we were all kidding. :P Some people were serious about being unfriendly? :blink:

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 10:40 PM
yeah, slammy&#39;s been here longer than you, shinigami&#33;
He&#39;s got a few less posts though... :lol:

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Shinigami@16 March 2003 - 15:39
why are you leavin SLAMMY?&#33;?&#33;? Your one of the few that joines before December which means your sort of a verteran&#33; :P
i did join bfor december&#33; i never noticed.

to answer the question, its what sum1 said: this isnt any fun anymore. all the n00bs asking questions that could be answered in the faq or in the installation manual.

The Great Dude
03-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by alan36uk+16 March 2003 - 11:19--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (alan36uk @ 16 March 2003 - 11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--dwightfry@16 March 2003 - 20:17
People come and people go...

I have no idea what it USED to be like

But I enjoy the banter with you all :D [/b][/quote]
You people haven&#39;t been here long enough to see the history of this forum. :lol: This was a small quiet community when I just viewed this forum as a guest then I later joined and it started to grow. Who knew it would be like this. :lol: Now there&#39;s even more newbie questions than ever before. :ph34r:

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by The_Great_Dude@16 March 2003 - 15:48
Now there&#39;s even more newbie questions than ever before. :ph34r:
yup, thats true.

jetje
03-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Is a good question RF. Thnx for standin up for the mods in it.

Think there are a few probs at the moment;

too little respect for other opinions as your own.

the heavy spamming some of you do, to have fun is oké but try to have it in places that are there for.
Also topics can go their way. And will not have to be moved all the time.
The postcounthunting, a lot are so blinded to get higher "Ranks". It&#39;s a rat race.... for stars???

just my 2cents...

added... the n00b question... why if that ignores you don&#39;t you just skip the post??? taht can&#39;t be that hard... ? Maybe if this is the big problem you say we need to create a n00b room.. just maybe??

The Great Dude
03-16-2003, 10:59 PM
You guys are still going to let http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...f=5&t=20470&hl= (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=20470&hl=) topic live right? :lol: It&#39;s my place to have keep busy. :P

Skweeky
03-16-2003, 11:02 PM
The forum has grown a lot since I joined, and yes, the atmosphere has most certainly deteriorated...
I don&#39;t mind the questions from the newbies at all, after all, when I first arrived all the board functions were a mystery to me too (some of them still are :lol: ), but what really bothers me are those people that are just too lazy to look for something. I never answer to these threads, and I think that is the most reasonable thing to do. Just as Rat Faced, I don&#39;t understand why people who don&#39;t like each other keep stalking and flaming each other.

Let me give an example of the boards atmosphere when I arrived:
At that moment I was working on a task for uni and I needed some more information about the 1st Amendment of the American consitution, I posted a question about this in the lounge and 3-4 people send me links or even complete papers that were very useful. For the moment, I couldn&#39;t even IMAGINE people asking a question like this, they&#39;d get fried I think&#33; :(

I long for the time that you could start a discussion about a controversial topic and get a SERIOUS discussion. Now you get 2-3 serious answers and the rest are just unusefull posts....You know tilen, you&#39;re right, sometimes it seems that there just is a lack of intelligence around here. I think the board would be much nicer when some people actually THOUGHT about what they wrote...

...PEACE...

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 11:06 PM
i think there are too many teenagers here. We have a tendency to talk rubbish and take the piss all the time.

some of us under-20s also get offended too easily sometimes - i guess it&#39;s because we&#39;re all walking hormone bombs.

on behalf of all fellow teenagers - sorry :( &#33;

scribblec
03-16-2003, 11:07 PM
uh whats a bin file
and um whats kazaa
are they gonna sue us for sharing
they offerred to kill me cos im sharing
how do u post

just some of the stupid things

i dont think ive ever posted a stupid noob question

Lamsey
03-16-2003, 11:12 PM
uh whats a bin file
speaking of which, is it normal for a 600MB .bin to convert to a 500MB .iso?

this is a real question, I&#39;m afraid... :unsure:

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by solidsnake@16 March 2003 - 16:07
uh whats a bin file
and um whats kazaa
how do u post

some others:

how does the star system work?
my files are still in .dat form after they finished dling&#33;
who&#39;s bin laden?
wut do you do with the iso files?
why is there very little sources?
kazaa lite sux. use edonkey.

scribblec
03-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by slammy_dunken+17 March 2003 - 00:14--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slammy_dunken @ 17 March 2003 - 00:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--solidsnake@16 March 2003 - 16:07
uh whats a bin file
and um whats kazaa
how do u post

some others:

who&#39;s bin laden?
kazaa lite sux. use edonkey. [/b][/quote]
kazaa and edonkey sux go buy the stuff
will the riaa hunt me down
whats my ip adress
i only ever get 2 sources
i got 32173641kb/s on a 56k modem good iniit
why do my movies come out blank
whats the internet
a few more

jetje
03-16-2003, 11:22 PM
it is not the n00bs i&#39;m afraid... it add some. It&#39;s more common decensy. Live and let live.
Not reply on every topic. Don&#39;t attack people for having a different opinion. Or just to be lame....

Maybe the team (admins and mods) should warn and then ban people...
hate that, kinda like the liberate thing we have here. But it seems for some it is difficult to handle with freedom and responsibility they get in here. ;)

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by solidsnake@16 March 2003 - 16:18
whats my ip adress
whats the internet
a few more
whos Paul and VB?
how do i open movies?
wut are hackers?
how do i install (sumthing)?

actually, i would do that at times, but rarely tho. i would only get it if its like &#036;30 or less.

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by solidsnake+17 March 2003 - 00:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (solidsnake @ 17 March 2003 - 00:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -slammy_dunken@17 March 2003 - 00:14
<!--QuoteBegin--solidsnake@16 March 2003 - 16:07
uh whats a bin file
and um whats kazaa
how do u post

some others:

who&#39;s bin laden?
kazaa lite sux. use edonkey.
whats my ip adress
whats the internet
a few more [/b][/quote]
That naffs me off :o
GOD forbid you go anywhere in life and have no clue
whats going on...
Your no better than anyone on here..or no worse..

10 mins of your time a week would make someone happy.
That goes for you all &#33;

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by alan36uk@16 March 2003 - 16:29
whats going on...

uh, wut?

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by slammy_dunken+17 March 2003 - 00:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slammy_dunken @ 17 March 2003 - 00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--alan36uk@16 March 2003 - 16:29
That naffs me off&nbsp; :o
whats going on...

uh, wut? [/b][/quote]
your 007 ?

not very sharp are you ? lol

scribblec
03-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by alan36uk+17 March 2003 - 00:33--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (alan36uk @ 17 March 2003 - 00:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -slammy_dunken@17 March 2003 - 00:30
<!--QuoteBegin--alan36uk@16 March 2003 - 16:29
whats going on...

uh, wut?
your 007 ?

not very sharp are you ? lol [/b][/quote]
WTF ?????

alan36uk
03-16-2003, 11:39 PM
I am quoting what you folks are saying in here ?

am I reading something else ?

your all still flapping on about ppl asking the same Q&#39;s ?

get over it and do something more usefull with your time..

LIKE HELPING SOME PEOPLE

thanks ;)

scribblec
03-16-2003, 11:43 PM
omg...i feel like im the dummest person alive...anywayz how do i download the kazaa lite? where does it say download...can someone link me to the exact website where i can download the latest one..coz i had the old one but yeh i deleted &#39;em...so please help i need to burn some songs for drama class tomorrow

^^^^^^ANOTHER classic question from another classic newbie

ugluk
03-16-2003, 11:46 PM
havent this been discussed before? i remember posting about the changed atmosphere of this forum maybe 2 months ago. or maybe that was just a dream? :rolleyes:

anyway, i agree with you rf. things are different. i guess it&#39;s because of the ever growing popularity of this board. but flaming wasn&#39;t that uncommon back in november/december either. then guests were flamed, now we flame newbie members. sometimes.
if you see a question you have seen 100 times before, you can sometimes get an urge to say RTFM&#33;&#33;
perhaps it would be a good idea to leave these questions to be answerd by junior members who only just learned themselves. since they haven&#39;t grown tired of these questions yet, the risk of flaming should be lower. maybe. + that it would give them a chance to chase stars without spamming....

but the thing that really could be making the members suspicious and hostile towards newbies are all these &#39;RIAA is watching&#39;, &#39;i was caught sharing&#39; threads started by guys who then never post again.

danne
03-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@17 March 2003 - 00:12

Yes, that&#39;s quite normal =)

Anyways, onto the subject at hand. I usually don&#39;t take part at all in all the bashings going on around the board. Why ? Well, frankly I don&#39;t see any point what so ever in doing so. If people have different views on some subject, fine - agree that you disagree. I mean, sometimes it really seems that some posters forget that there are actually people who reads their posts and not some automaton.

I was hanging around in the forum for quite a while before I decided that I could contriubute with something, and over this short period of time, it has become very much larger and much more &#39;hostile&#39; than before. It&#39;s sad really, it was just like one big happy family before.

slammy_dunken
03-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by alan36uk@16 March 2003 - 16:39
I am quoting what you folks are saying in here ?

am I reading something else ?

your all still flapping on about ppl asking the same Q&#39;s ?

get over it and do something more usefull with your time..

LIKE HELPING SOME PEOPLE

thanks ;)
i would, but i probably wouldnt help sum1 who asks a dumass n00b ? like how do you download.

Giy
03-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@17 March 2003 - 00:12

uh whats a bin file

just make sure u have the .cue and the .bin file both in the same dir, direct ur burning software to the .cue file and burn

if you dont have a .cue let me know and ill tell u how to make 1 (if u dont know;) )

as for the forums, well iv lurked round here on and off since just before xmass, i think the biggest problem is (has already been said) the mindless flaming of newbies and the mods, just remember you were a noob once and u asked daft questions, i dont care how many posts u have next to ur name ;) as has been said if this type of posts bothers and u dont want to help then dont reply just move on to the next post, to just flame them for no reason serves no purpose but makes u (IMO) look like a prat, it does not matter how many user guides or newbie guide you have most people will not read them they will post and ask questions

anyway i&#39;ll go back to my lurking ;)

scribblec
03-17-2003, 12:02 AM
i dont thin he wanted to know how to make cues or anything
he was wondering why the file size is smaller when made intoo an iso

Giy
03-17-2003, 12:04 AM
but theres no need to make it into an iso from the .bin file.. if u wonna burn it to cd just burn the .cue, all the info u need is already there so why change it ?

scribblec
03-17-2003, 12:08 AM
i duno ask him
but u just answere the question to some noobs question not his

summerlinda
03-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Now, lets all have one big group hug, kiss and make up, peace&#33; :*

SideSwiped
03-17-2003, 12:50 AM
RF, you say the board&#39;s atmosphere has deteriorated......I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s true or not, I myself, being a newbie, I joined a couple of days prior to the forum moving to the current server. Before and immediately after that move I read a lot of posts from members complaining about &#39;guests&#39; coming just for verifieds. Then the worlds were created, verifieds were not accessible to guests and so a lot of ppl became members again just to use the verifieds. I did not join because of them, haven&#39;t even bothered to go look, I come here to see what ppl have to say and sometimes there is a bit of &#39;flaming&#39; and some forum stalking but overall it&#39;s not as bad a place as you and some of the other &#39;long standing&#39; members are painting it to be. I know that the mods have their work cut out for them, and really I don&#39;t envy them at all. But since they have to take the trouble of reading all the threads and make decisions regarding the status of those threads, maybe a solution to all the flaming would be to take direct action against the aggressor. If someone asks a &#39;stupid&#39; question then a simple read the faq would suffice, if the respondant cannot settle for that and feels the need to be offensive, then perhaps their reply could be deleted from the board. Also, may as well delete threads that begin in an offensive or insulting manner. I&#39;m not talking about one person&#39;s likes or dislikes regarding appropriate statements or questions, but some threads are started for the sole purpose of inciting angry responses. If such a thing were done, maybe a 3 strikes rule could be imposed. 3 warnings to cease and desist followed by being banned from the forum.
This forum, when I first looked over it looked to be a place to have good fun and to learn about p2p, filesharing, and it&#39;s even turning out to be a place to learn about the internet and computers in general, that&#39;s not such a bad thing.

I gather that the forum isn&#39;t that old, and things will level out and settle down, it takes time. The post count adds a bit to the problem. You offer incentive to post by rewarding stars, this drives ppl to post in the wrong sections and makes us post just for the hell of it.

One more thing........why, are you &#39;old timers&#39; ,which think things are getting out of hand, bailing? You&#39;re needed now to set an example to those that you admonish for inapproriate behavior. If you see a response which you think inappropriate then post yourself saying merely that such behavior was uncalled for.

Just give it some time to settle down a bit and stop taking things so personal, this is the internet for crying out loud.

sandman24
03-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Best part of a discussion board:

If someone flames you, you can ignore it&#33;
It&#39;s not like someone is talking to your face. (Unless sitting at the computer is the only human interaction you get????)

I try to be nice all the time, and hey, remember when you were a n00b?

Just imagine if back then someone treated you like shit. Or, maybe that is these people&#39;s problem.

Oh yes, Flame me if you like, but I still don&#39;t know why a fully DL file stays as a DAT file.
Stupid n00b question I guess....

Could someone help me out with that?

Later

slammy_dunken
03-17-2003, 01:17 AM
:rtfaq:

kAb
03-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by sandman24@16 March 2003 - 17:07
Oh yes, Flame me if you like, but I still don&#39;t know why a fully DL file stays as a DAT file.
Stupid n00b question I guess....

Could someone help me out with that?

Later
Here (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=15325)

it is a pinned topic in "problems".

quite a few people have the problem including me :mellow:

DataMore
03-17-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sandman24@17 March 2003 - 01:07
I still don&#39;t know why a fully DL file stays as a DAT file.
It remains as a .dat file because you probably started downloading the file to a specific folder and then changed the location of that folder before the download was complete.
For example, if the file was being downloaded to C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Kazaa Lite&#092;My Shared Folder and then you moved it to D:&#092;Program Files&#092;Kazaa Lite&#092;My Shared Folder before the download was complete, it will remain as a .dat file.

To rename the .dat file, you have to re-create the initial folder again and then move the .dat file into it.
If you can&#39;t remember the exact path name, use DAT View to see it. ;)

gumbydancin
03-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by ugluk@16 March 2003 - 18:46
havent this been discussed before? i remember posting about the changed atmosphere of this forum maybe 2 months ago. or maybe that was just a dream? :rolleyes:

anyway, i agree with you rf. things are different. i guess it&#39;s because of the ever growing popularity of this board. but flaming wasn&#39;t that uncommon back in november/december either. then guests were flamed, now we flame newbie members. sometimes.
if you see a question you have seen 100 times before, you can sometimes get an urge to say RTFM&#33;&#33;
perhaps it would be a good idea to leave these questions to be answerd by junior members who only just learned themselves. since they haven&#39;t grown tired of these questions yet, the risk of flaming should be lower. maybe. + that it would give them a chance to chase stars without spamming....

but the thing that really could be making the members suspicious and hostile towards newbies are all these &#39;RIAA is watching&#39;, &#39;i was caught sharing&#39; threads started by guys who then never post again.
I remember that thread a couple months ago and there is one going on now that is pretty much the same. Here is what I said there :

I think it&#39;s the new (not newbie) members job to answer those ridiculously common questions. If you&#39;ve been a member of the board for two weeks you know how to point someone to a recent post that was the same or to the FAQ or to the search page, and you haven&#39;t had to aswer it 500 times before. I myself don&#39;t answer those anymore unless it is ignored for a long time. I put in my time on that, and I&#39;ll leave it to those who haven&#39;t. The veterans shouldn&#39;t flame the noobs for asking those questions over and over again, they are NEW after all. Which I&#39;m sure we all were at one point.

sandman24
03-17-2003, 01:42 AM
kAb - Thank you very much.

We need more canadians on this board. We are usually very polite eh?

Thanks again. :D

Lamsey
03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
i agree with the canadian politeness thing - anyone ever see Due South?

Some clarification regarding my question about bin--&#62;iso:

I had a .bin but couldn&#39;t find the .cue, so someone suggested I converted to .iso before burning. I have a workaround now, though... Nobody1234 found the .cue and posted the contents for me&#33;
See, Rat Faced - there&#39;s still some goodwill on the board&#33; Many, many thanks Nobody1234&#33; :beerchug: :)

N£MO
03-17-2003, 06:07 PM
I hadnt noticed the board becoming anymore aggressive or people flaming more than normal.But i do agree that a few gods that used to post in a construtive manor dont post so much anymore...guess they all fled the nest with all the board problems been having...the board was down for nearly a week and in that time people have seen other forums to post or hang out at and found these more to their tastes.....
Just hope that it dont get worse or wonder how many other people will decide to up and go.. :)

tilen76
03-17-2003, 07:29 PM
OK. Here is an example of what I hate on this board: :angry:

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...f=1&t=22155&hl= (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=22155&hl=)

Someone asks a question, gets his answer and then certain members just post nonsence, just to add to their total post count. And it&#39;s always the same members.

I suggest we ban a few of them for a week. Maybe that will teach them to behave. :angry:

Skillian
03-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Someone asks a question, gets his answer and then certain members just post nonsence, just to add to their total post count. And it&#39;s always the same members.

I definitely agree - it&#39;s why so many topics get moved to the lounge now, even though they started as relevant questions. Unfortunately I think it&#39;s because the rooms where posts count have now been reduced. It may have reduced spamming in those rooms, but it&#39;s increased now in rooms like "About Our Website And This Forum" because those who worry about their post count feel they have to post in there to increase it.

It&#39;s also the reason why some newbie questions get jumped on with a "copy and paste" answer, even when it doesn&#39;t even answer the question properly. This is even less help than :rtfm: .

ugluk
03-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by tilen76@17 March 2003 - 20:29

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...f=1&t=22155&hl= (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=22155&hl=)

I suggest we ban a few of them for a week. Maybe that will teach them to behave. :angry:
hey hey hey&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

i answerd his question. not ANYBODYS fault that 3 other members did the same at the same time&#33;
and i dont see that commenting that is out of order. that discussion was already over when CP closed it.

i think its great that so many jumped to help, and all refrained from being unpolite. idiot.

tilen76
03-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ugluk+17 March 2003 - 20:44--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ugluk @ 17 March 2003 - 20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--tilen76@17 March 2003 - 20:29

hey hey hey&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

i answerd his question. not ANYBODYS fault that 3 other members did the same at the same time&#33;
and i dont see that commenting that is out of order. that discussion was already over when CP closed it.

i think its great that so many jumped to help, and all refrained from being unpolite. idiot.[/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t mind the answers, afterall all four of you answered at the same time. Maybe one comment after that is OK too, but why the next three? :blink:

It seems you feel guilty, since you wouldn&#39;t defend yourself if you had a clear consciense. <_<

And I know exactly what would happen if CP didn&#39;t close the topic. :angry:

And ugluk: I wasn&#39;t reffering to you in the first place, it&#39;s the other two and a few others.

This is why so many topics gets closed or moved to the Lounge nowadays and it all contributes to the bad mood on the board.

ugluk
03-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by tilen76@17 March 2003 - 21:04
I don&#39;t mind the answers, afterall all four of you answered at the same time. Maybe one comment after that is OK too, but why the next three? :blink:

It seems you feel guilty, since you wouldn&#39;t defend yourself if you had a clear consciense. <_<
next 3? well, it&#39;s only natural that all 4 would like to say &#39;yea i noticed&#33; funny&#33;&#39;. that&#39;s friendly and nice and gives people a warm feeling inside. :P

guilty? no. i&#39;d say that saying that people cant comment on something funny is wrong... and makes an unfriendly athmosphere.. o_0&#33;&#33; i don&#39;t dare to post&#33; they will call me a vicious spammer&#33; Mom&#33; HELP&#33;&#33;

tilen76
03-17-2003, 08:21 PM
If you find that funny, fine. Have it your way. I feel sorry for you. Discussing about who posted first or how many people posted at the same time soemhow doesn&#39;t amuse me. Especially not in the "About our website and this Forum" section.

ugluk
03-17-2003, 08:25 PM
listen friend. i dont give a shit about post counts. tell Paul reduce my post count by 2 or 3 if it&#39;s that important to you. or bust me down to zero. <_<

mrcall1969
03-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Hey, this is exactly why RF posted this topic. Everyone has to be tolerant of everyone else (ESPECIALLY new members) or this forum is going to die.

I&#39;m not critisising the Mods or Admin here but I think it&#39;s disgraceful that someone should be allowed to have "fuck the noobs" on a signature, surely it&#39;s in everyones best interest to have more new members??

Skillian
03-17-2003, 08:38 PM
I&#39;m not critisising the Mods or Admin here but I think it&#39;s disgraceful that someone should be allowed to have "fuck the noobs" on a signature, surely it&#39;s in everyones best interest to have more new members??

I agree, but I&#39;m not sure others do. Along with new members will come more "newbie" questions, and I find it odd that people would complain or be surprised about this.

tilen76
03-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by ugluk@17 March 2003 - 21:25
listen friend. i dont give a shit about post counts. tell Paul reduce my post count by 2 or 3 if it&#39;s that important to you. or bust me down to zero. <_<
Would you please read all my posts above again. It seems you don&#39;t understand what I&#39;m saying at all.
Or shall I quote myself:

And ugluk: I wasn&#39;t reffering to you in the first place, it&#39;s the other two and a few others.

I don&#39;t give a f*** about the number of posts either, mine or others, it just bother me that some people aparently do and they screw every relevant topic. Again, I&#39;m not reffering to you ugluk.

... I&#39;m going back to my movie database now, luckily there are no spammers there.

Looking forward seeing you all in the Lounge or Funny stuff section, where we can have some fun too, but please leave the other sections to relevant topics.

Peace

ugluk
03-17-2003, 08:57 PM
i&#39;m sorry. peace&#33; :-) :-)

Bender
03-18-2003, 01:23 AM
I think this topic illustrates what Rat Faced wanted to say: it&#39;s 5 pages now and there has been spamming, flaming and getting off-topic.
I&#39;m not pointing at anyone, I&#39;m just saying that it happens.

This used to be different, a lot different... :(

For comparison please look at this topic, started January 7th, only 2 months ago:
Signature Poll and Debate. (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=9638&hl=signatures&st=0)

Note that this was a very heated debate from time to time, and note as well the absence of flaming, and the nearly-absence of spamming and getting off-topic.
We have to agree that the board&#39;s atmosphere was a lot better &#39;back then&#39;. :)

MagicNakor
03-18-2003, 02:41 AM
Wasn&#39;t that before the whole server mixup?

It could be that the TRX "war" initialized the jadedness that&#39;s becoming more evident now.

:ninja:

j2k4
03-18-2003, 06:02 AM
HEY-
Boy, I know I&#39;ve asked my share of noob questions-early on I asked a question that must have set a standard of some type for ANC="Actual Noob Content". I could almost feel the forum temperature drop. This was back in November, I think. Anyway, I didn&#39;t post again for a looooong time. Didn&#39;t want to-didn&#39;t feel welcome. Spent the interim reading FAQs and posts-learned some things, mostly how little I know. This forum was still a resource I needed.
Couple weeks ago, I jumped back in; learned how to "extract" answers, be a pest, flame, get flamed (it still sucks), make points, receive points, piss off Dude, fetch Guinness for Tilen, and even do some admittedly low-grade mentoring.

So-I think I&#39;ll stick around-I feel I get what I need here info-wise, and if I acquire a few bruises or callouses, so be it.
If it was comfier before, it must have been like wading through molasses-I like it the way it is.

Two final thoughts: 1)Spam=Lounge 2)Tilen-I drank the Guinness; I owe ya.

puremindmatters
03-18-2003, 07:23 AM
I think there are more and more people coming in with one or two immediate problems they want resolved asap, without any real interest for the forum itself or the information they could gather when reading what has been posted before. This leads to the repetitiveness which leaves most "old hands" either edgy or silent.
And if you read nonsensical answers from the same members for a month, you might be able to ignore it - if you see that "pattern" for several months, you might not be able to contain yourself any longer and start flaming. Again, it&#39;s much easier to be nice in a small community with similar interests than a large one, where people seem to serve their own interests, like post-counts, letting off steam, or getting their own problems resolved.

j2k4
03-18-2003, 02:26 PM
I would agree, puremind-
Sometimes you gotta lance that boil-just remember to wipe the schmutz off the mirror when you&#39;re done.

ShareDaddy
03-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Bender@17 March 2003 - 20:23
I think this topic illustrates what Rat Faced wanted to say: it&#39;s 5 pages now and there has been spamming, flaming and getting off-topic.
I&#39;m not pointing at anyone, I&#39;m just saying that it happens.

This used to be different, a lot different... :(

For comparison please look at this topic, started January 7th, only 2 months ago:
Signature Poll and Debate. (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=9638&hl=signatures&st=0)

Note that this was a very heated debate from time to time, and note as well the absence of flaming, and the nearly-absence of spamming and getting off-topic.
We have to agree that the board&#39;s atmosphere was a lot better &#39;back then&#39;. :)
First of all I have to say I had not really noticed the significant change as RF alluded to. However my real life has been somewhat of a hectic roller coaster ride these last couple months so I have not spent the time here like I used to.

However I as usual have a few things to say. First and foremost I was a lurker before I joined and damned proud of it, but I still made a few posts back when I was a newb that I would rather forget. I too have been involved in wars of sorts between members and really think it is always a part of a forum.

Second, the link Bender noted is a good representation of how things used to be, however before that it had gotten worse before it got better. I think we may have this ebb and flow of sorts where things get better then worse and most of it will be due to the ever-changing membership.

Members who used to post regularly have come and gone and our membership keeps getting refurbished so there is bound to be this up and down issue. For the most part this place still has its original charm for me, however I have learned what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

That may not be the "politically correct" method of dealing with change, however it has worked well for me, aside from the occasional issue I can just not ignore.

Back when I joined (and it does seem like years ago) there were probably a dozen actively posting members and things were still just getting started, but since we have seen rapid influxes of people and points of view and I for one do not want to place any negative connotations on that, change is good even if it must get worse before it gets better.

I have made some good friends here and hope to continue to do so, even those that I have had issues with are what I consider friends, I mean a friend is not just someone who agrees with your points of view, friends are those people who feel they should share their thoughts no matter on what the topic may be or who may be listening in.

I think each of us has ownership in this site; let&#39;s say we are all stakeholders here. We all give and get what we think is best for each us, so we in turn need to understand that each of us are inherently different, but not so different as to be unable to interact without extreme prejudices getting in the way.

MODS are a good thing and newbs are too, without either this place would not exist, you could not have a ShareDaddy without first having a newb. MODS were needed in the past when a certain dark air was aloft, without MODS this place would have crashed and burned.

I will always have my opinions and thank each and everyone who allows me to voice them and I hope I can repay the favor whenever you may be in need.

N£MO
03-18-2003, 05:21 PM
I say sharedaddy should be our next mod...nice post SD :)