PDA

View Full Version : 2 Security Checks..different Results?

kennyboy
05-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Just done a security check with Symantec Online, and also Sygate (which is my firewall)
Sygate reports everything closed and no problems, but Symantec reports this :-

ICMP Ping Ping. Ping is a network troubleshooting utility. It asks your computer to acknowledge its existence. If your computer responds positively to a ping, hackers are more likely to target your computer.  PORT OPEN......Solution - Get a firewall!! 

Can anyone explain why the difference, and if there is a risk, how to configure Sygate to close it.

Many Thanks.

{I}{K}{E}
05-18-2004, 10:43 AM
I think this is just something symantec uses to convince you to buy their software :unsure:

kennyboy
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Yes I did think about that, and then thought....noooo..they wouldnt do that.....would they??

tesco
05-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kennyboy@18 May 2004 - 05:54
Yes I did think about that, and then thought....noooo..they wouldnt do that.....would they??
try this test: click here (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2).

go to the tests and choose common ports, then at the top of the new page, after the test, it tells you if you responded to the ping...

if you have a router, you can disable it somewhere in the options (i had to do that, so i know it is there) but im not to sure how to do it with your computer. although im sure its easy.

Marius24
05-18-2004, 04:50 PM
pinging is hardly gonna get ur pc hacked lol, it is mainly used as a callout to see if the pc is there. it sends out packets and waits for them 2 be retreived 2 get the ping.

it is fine just to let it stay as it is :)

kennyboy
05-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Many Thanks for all your replies. Tried the Gibson site, and it was much more re-assuring.

Thanks again