PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Scratched Dvd's

Bebi
05-19-2004, 10:21 AM
I rented a dvd and it was so badly scratched I couldnt rip it it keeps stopping at 76% and wont go further is therre any way to repair or to get it to ignore the damaged pieces?

delphin460
05-19-2004, 10:53 AM
you could get some perspecs polish , eg plastic polish and try that

i use it to clean aircraft windows and it works a treat on cd's and dvd's

but no software way to get around it mate sorry

i once heard someone saying that furnitue polish will do the same thing
eg like mr sheen

worth a try

Adster
05-19-2004, 11:30 AM
It is mafuckto

cockboy
05-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@19 May 2004 - 12:01
you could get some perspecs polish , eg plastic polish and try that

i use it to clean aircraft windows and it works a treat on cd's and dvd's

but no software way to get around it mate sorry

i once heard someone saying that furnitue polish will do the same thing
eg like mr sheen

worth a try
Hi, if the disk is'nt scratched from the label side, first off, i would just wash it in some washing up liquid and thenj rinse off with cold water, then dab dry with a soft cloth.
Then wipe from the center of the disk to the edge, as radial scratches are easier to read past than circumference scratches, i.e. scratches that go in the same direction as the data track on the disk.
If this does'nt work, then you can try T-cut car polish, (only as a last resort, disk wont work anymore type thing option,).
Just rub a small ammount of polish in small circles on disk, leave to dry and polish off again the same way, be very careful not to rub too hard or you might cause more scrtches.
I have sucessfully reserected several playstation cds and pc cdroms and audio cds that woud'nt playback using the washing up method, and the more extrme method of car polish has saved a few that were destined for the bin.
USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I Have totally fuked some disks as well, if you dont experiment, you dont discover anything!
Washing up liquid helps 90% of unreadable disks, if not disk might be past repair.
Hope this helps in some way.
P.S. why dont you take dvd back to hire shop and get another copy? tell them it was already scratched.
D2D

clunk1234567
05-19-2004, 06:40 PM
If you remove the coating from a cd your next task has to be copying it onto a new cd.

Without exception

mooseman2070
05-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Bebi@19 May 2004 - 06:29
I rented a dvd and it was so badly scratched I couldnt rip it it keeps stopping at 76% and wont go further is therre any way to repair or to get it to ignore the damaged pieces?
the store i got o, they ususally give you another movie if you say it stops in the middle and wont play, if you go to one of thise shit blockbuster/hollywood moive polaces, i doubt theyll give you another one

vivitron 15
05-19-2004, 08:10 PM
of course they will - they have to, they provided a service which wasnt fit for purpose, so they will give you a different copy and an apology...i wouldnt fuck with polish on their disk, else youll get charged for it!

SillyRumours
05-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@19 May 2004 - 20:18
of course they will - they have to, they provided a service which wasnt fit for purpose, so they will give you a different copy and an apology...i wouldnt fuck with polish on their disk, else youll get charged for it!
if they don't threaten to slit their throat with the defective disc, and their whole family aswell, or legal action is quite popular i hear

h121589
05-19-2004, 08:51 PM
it might work if u put ur finger in the hole of the cd and put it in the toilet and flush the toilet but make sure that u dont flush the cd down the toilet

but before u try it with the rented dvd u might want 2 practice with a old cd that u dont want

and then wipe the cd with a soft towel so the cd wont get more scratches

{I}{K}{E}
05-19-2004, 09:09 PM
you can bring it back and tell them you could not play it because it was 2 much scrashed, I always get a new one when I tell this

v-man
05-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Put it in your dishwasher. Then microwave it for 30 sec. It will be like a brand new dvd.

Wallace_Askew
06-10-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by v-man@19 May 2004 - 15:17
Put it in your dishwasher.  Then microwave it for 30 sec.  It will be like a brand new dvd.
:lol: A popular option, but not every effective :lol:

holdenmagroin
06-11-2004, 05:31 PM
DVD Resce by 321 studios does the job for me mate

Voetsek
06-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Bebi@19 May 2004 - 10:29
Me i just go back to shop and get decent copy