kAb
03-17-2003, 01:08 AM
lol :lol:

but... telemarketers record phone calls <_<

so don&#39;t get to psychotic :lol:

imported_The__One
03-17-2003, 01:12 AM
telemarketers record phone calls

They must have TONS of tape to record every phone call....and wtf do they record the calls for, it&#39;s practicly always the same thing..

Hello, this is (superficial name), from (usless company), and we have a blah blah blah....

<clunck...>

lurker
03-17-2003, 08:44 AM
I&#39;m pretty sure it&#39;s illegal for telemarketers to record phone calls as they are the ones calling you and you have to give consent to be recorded. This can come in the form of acquiesence when you call a company and on there automated message it says "this call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes" or some such nonsense thus informing you that your call may be recorded and then you have the option to continue the call or not...
Anyway, nice one :)

sleepnmojo
03-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by kAb@17 March 2003 - 02:08
but... telemarketers record phone calls <_<

They don&#39;t start recording till they ask you.

"Is it ok if i record this for our records...."

Then its legal, otherwise, play with them.

Leech_Killer
03-17-2003, 09:58 AM
I always play the same game with telemarketers, my phone as a &#39;Hold&#39; button so when they ring I say to them "hold on I&#39;m just putting you on hold I need to grab the baby". Then I just leave them on hold and time how long it takes for them to hang-up. Seems to annoy them as much as them ringing annoys me. So far British Gas is winning with 14 minutes.

:D :D :D

j2k4
03-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Good one-I&#39;ll try it.

I also like to answer: HELLO? HELLO? HELLO? (bang the phone) HELLOOOO?
LOL
Damn it&#39;s fun&#33;
And so many opportunities to polish one&#39;s technique&#33;
I regard them as true warriors-gluttons for punishment.
If it&#39;s a female, harass her sexually (PANTING-HEY BABY-WHATTA YA WEARIN&#39;?

sleepnmojo
03-18-2003, 08:02 AM
best way to mess with them is talk to them, then put it on mute. see what they do. When they keep calling back do the same thing.

j2k4
03-18-2003, 02:29 PM
I sense a marketing opportunity here-why don&#39;t WE tape THEM?
In court-at a later date-"Yes, your Honor, that is my voice, but.......

slash
03-20-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@18 March 2003 - 15:29
Yah... tape the conversations... then edit them later. That would be interesting...

Dogbert
03-20-2003, 04:54 AM
Hey y&#39;all,

I usually stop them as soon as they start, and tell them to remove my name as per federal law and not to call again. Then I hang up if they respond or not. This has really helped knock off the calls.

What has really helped is being online tying up the phone line&#33;&#33; :) :)

j2k4
03-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by slash+20 March 2003 - 03:04--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slash @ 20 March 2003 - 03:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@18 March 2003 - 15:29
Yah... tape the conversations... then edit them later. That would be interesting... [/b][/quote]
The more I think about it, the more it sounds like "Crank Yankers". Lets refine the idea a bit more.

j2k4
03-20-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Dogbert@20 March 2003 - 05:54
Hey y&#39;all,

I usually stop them as soon as they start, and tell them to remove my name as per federal law and not to call again. Then I hang up if they respond or not. This has really helped knock off the calls.

Hey there, fellow noob-
Here&#39;s a tip: think funny-Ya&#39; know where you are?

dwightfry
03-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by lurker@17 March 2003 - 09:44
I&#39;m pretty sure it&#39;s illegal for telemarketers to record phone calls as they are the ones calling you and you have to give consent to be recorded. This can come in the form of acquiesence when you call a company and on there automated message it says "this call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes" or some such nonsense thus informing you that your call may be recorded and then you have the option to continue the call or not...
Anyway, nice one :)
Actually, I used to work for a credit card company and they recorded conversations all the time. They do it to anylize the employees. I also used to work at a research group, where we would call people to do surveys, they did the same thing. So I&#39;m pretty sure that it isn&#39;t illegal, not in ND anyways.

(I know that telemarketing calls are VERY annoying, but please don&#39;t be rude. They are people to, and those businesses have fantastic pay, especially for college students. It beats McDonalds. I am all for playing around with them, because they will/should have a sense of humor too. Just try not to scream and curse at them.)

andyefc
03-20-2003, 02:41 PM
well said&#33;

DarthInsinuate
03-20-2003, 04:32 PM
the best way to stop telemarketers is to not list your number

or use the Seinfeld method:

"Hello?"

"Hello, i&#39;m calling you to ask if you are interested in changing your long distance supplier"

"sorry, i&#39;m kinda busy right now can you leave your number and i&#39;ll call back"

"i can&#39;t give out this number"

"why? don&#39;t you like being called at home? well now you know how i feel&#33;"

imported_The__One
03-20-2003, 04:45 PM
:lol: :lol:

Leech_Killer
03-20-2003, 05:15 PM
A while ago I was getting nuisance phone calls, whoever it was was ringing me was ringing up at different times in the day and night then not speaking though I could hear them breathing. Everytime I hung up and tried to find their phone number I was told it was withheld. So I contacted Telewest (my phone provider) about it and signed up for a service that they do. It blocks any calls automatically that has their number withheld, tells them that the person they are ringing does not except anonyms calls then hangs up on them, the services cost me £1 per month. This certainly sorted out my nuisance calls but it also filtered out all of the telemarketing I was getting.

Worth a thought if your getting lots of telemarketers.

Acecool
03-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Dogbert@20 March 2003 - 05:54
Hey y&#39;all,

Yes, that works, also if they call back WITHIN 6 months, you are allowed to sue them for thousands of dollars hehe

Afronaut
03-21-2003, 03:44 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I say, the joke is really funny, but the respond you got on this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... i might have to get me a normal phone-line&#33; I wanna have some fun too&#33;

Z
03-22-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Leech_Killer@17 March 2003 - 10:58
I always play the same game with telemarketers, my phone as a &#39;Hold&#39; button so when they ring I say to them "hold on I&#39;m just putting you on hold I need to grab the baby". Then I just leave them on hold and time how long it takes for them to hang-up. Seems to annoy them as much as them ringing annoys me. So far British Gas is winning with 14 minutes.

:D :D :D
how do u know when they hang up if theyre on hold?

Leech_Killer
03-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by lil_z+22 March 2003 - 05:19--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lil_z @ 22 March 2003 - 05:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Leech_Killer@17 March 2003 - 10:58

:D&nbsp; :D&nbsp; :D
how do u know when they hang up if theyre on hold? [/b][/quote]
My phone beeps.

sleepnmojo
03-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Try having phone sex with them. :lol:

100%
03-22-2003, 08:32 PM
I confess
I used to be a Telemarketeer
its fun its not hard work- it ads that extra happy enthusiatic tone to your conversation skills.

99% of them are part time workers
so they dont really give a shit anyway (unless new)
Dont ever give your postal number
Dont tell them your average income (this question is generally stated "what type of cars are there in your street"
If they say it takes 5 minutes it takes alot more
if they want women they call during the day if they want men its during tv sport events.
Telemarkateers may not remove your number
unless there is a language problem
or too old (language problem)
or the person is dead
they are not allowed to talk longer than the expected time of the survey (old people always want to talk for hours)
They may get your phone number via your visa card-when you join a club hotels-etc
Some "Statisitics" polls are actually aimed at getting you consiounce about a company.

j2k4
03-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@22 March 2003 - 21:32
I confess
its fun its not hard work- it ads that extra happy enthusiatic tone to your conversation skills.

Dont tell them your average income (this question is generally stated "what type of cars are there in your street"
if they want women they call during the day if they want men its during tv sport events.
or the person is dead
they are not allowed to talk longer than the expected time of the survey (old people always want to talk for hours)
They may get your phone number via your visa card-when you join a club hotels-etc
Some "Statisitics" polls are actually aimed at getting you consiounce about a company.
Zedaxax-
You are a forthright and admirable person. My sister was a skip-tracer for years, and she is a font of info.
It occurred to me, maybe you&#39;d start a thread on the subject where ALL the tricks might be revealed?

Z
03-23-2003, 02:21 AM
when u answer before they say anything just say:
"Hi&#33; im from *phone company*, would u be interested in changing your long distance provider?"
and record for me what they say. i never get telemarketers cuz were unlisted.
:P

lumpbuzcut
03-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Late on night about 2 months ago, one of those Frat-Police group things that raise money for stupid cops that get shot, well they called me and insisted I buy a ticket to see some country prick playing his gutair. Instead of simply saying "no" I told her I never heard of the guy, then she names some songs, I still dont know who this guy is, but the chick on the other end sounds pretty good. . . now it gets good, she starts singing to me&#33; I told her she had a nice voice and that maybe next time i&#39;d let her speak to my mommy or daddy. :lol:

j2k4
03-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by lumpbuzcut@23 March 2003 - 07:50
Late on night about 2 months ago, one of those Frat-Police group things that raise money for stupid cops that get shot, well they called me and insisted I buy a ticket to see some country prick playing his gutair. Instead of simply saying "no" I told her I never heard of the guy, then she names some songs, I still dont know who this guy is, but the chick on the other end sounds pretty good. . . now it gets good, she starts singing to me&#33; I told her she had a nice voice and that maybe next time i&#39;d let her speak to my mommy or daddy. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

I got "MISS DIG" to meet me at the state fair one time-but we won&#39;t go into that.

oldmancan
03-23-2003, 06:52 PM
:P Three types; surveys, donations, sales.

Surveys, I politely tell them that I&#39;d be happy to participate but ask how they are going to pay me. Then they go on to explain that I don&#39;t get anything for my time. I say that&#39;s not fair they are getting paid. I insist on getting paid to give them any info....it goes on until they hang up.

Donations, I tell them we have decided to make one sizable donation once a year. And this year is not their year. Further that I don&#39;t respond to phone solicitations.

Sales, politely tell em no phone solicitations. If they get it, we hang up. If they don&#39;t get it I just put the phone down and walk away. After they hang up the phone starts to beep and gets hung up.

Got a survey call during a family dinner, asked to get paid... the whole thing went on for 5 min but was worth it, everyone at the table was howling by the time caller hung up.

Cheers, OMC

Wolfmight
03-23-2003, 08:12 PM
I told a telemarketer the number i was useing is classified and that he/she could go to court of law. Then I rubbed fuzzy clotheing on the phone (like it was static building up) and then slammed it.

Wolfmight
03-23-2003, 08:12 PM
I told a telemarketer my phone number is classified and that he/she could go to court of law. Then I rubbed fuzzy clotheing on the phone (like it was static building up) and then slammed it.

j2k4
03-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by oldmancan@23 March 2003 - 19:52
:P Three types; surveys, donations, sales.

Surveys, I politely tell them that I&#39;d be happy to participate but ask how they are going to pay me. Then they go on to explain that I don&#39;t get anything for my time. I say that&#39;s not fair they are getting paid. I insist on getting paid to give them any info....it goes on until they hang up.

Donations, I tell them we have decided to make one sizable donation once a year. And this year is not their year. Further that I don&#39;t respond to phone solicitations.

Sales, politely tell em no phone solicitations. If they get it, we hang up. If they don&#39;t get it I just put the phone down and walk away. After they hang up the phone starts to beep and gets hung up.

Got a survey call during a family dinner, asked to get paid... the whole thing went on for 5 min but was worth it, everyone at the table was howling by the time caller hung up.

Cheers, OMC
Sir-you strike the cord all of us should; sometimes the urge for silliness overcomes us.
I used to try to have a few good one-liners ready by the phone for anyone&#39;s use-that worked until we were overrun with calls (I couldn&#39;t keep up), and when the callers for whom English is a second language began filling some of these jobs. Ex-pat Indians just aren&#39;t as suseptible to my strategy.

chr1sp
03-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@22 March 2003 - 21:32
I confess

or the person is dead
Good god. I used to do Telemarketing for a Kitchen company, and gave up after 2 weeks.

Worst point was where i nearly fell asleep at my desk, dialled the same guy twice and got a mouthful of verbal abuse.

At that point i decided it wasnt fun, the people around me were all 16 ish (i was 21), it was all round, generally annoying.

And yes, i made 3 sales in 2 weeks which is very good apparently.

And to quash some urban myths: they dont get your name from VISA collections, i used a BT Phonebook. Your calls arnt recorded. Considering these people have to get at least 250-500 calls done in a 6 hour session, and there are 10-20 people in the room, can u imagine the amounts of tape used?

j2k4
03-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by chr1sp@24 March 2003 - 10:03
Worst point was where i nearly fell asleep at my desk, dialled the same guy twice and got a mouthful of verbal abuse.

At that point i decided it wasnt fun, the people around me were all 16 ish (i was 21), it was all round, generally annoying.

And yes, i made 3 sales in 2 weeks which is very good apparently.

And to quash some urban myths: they dont get your name from VISA collections, i used a BT Phonebook. Your calls arnt recorded. Considering these people have to get at least 250-500 calls done in a 6 hour session, and there are 10-20 people in the room, can u imagine the amounts of tape used?
Wow-
Sounds like a nightmare, but to read it is hilarious. I mean, you can&#39;t play in the bigs with a .150 average, but you&#39;d be a kick-ass telemarketer.

Do they have cheerleaders? Sounds like they need &#39;em.