PDA

View Full Version : Moving Threads

kAb
03-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Recently many threads have been moved, and i'm wondering about something.
I PM'd jetje about it, and he suggested to make a new thread with the PM in it to notify everyone about what is happening.

What i wrote to jetje:

Ok, I was wondering, why are threads moved if others fuck it up?
Say a thread is started as a tip, and it is put in the tip section. Then others start talking about snowboarding. Why would it be moved to the lounge?

Then others wouldn't be able to find the tip, unless they knew to look in the lounge.

I think that the threads should just stay where they are. Its kind of pointless to fill up the lounge with threads originally in different sections.

I look forward to your response.

what jetje wrote back to me:

All mods do it differently... think you have a point! Sometimes í just delete the useless info in those threads. People start complaining then, we delete their posts. Sometimes ask to go back on topic, they say they do but in no time topics get spammed again, then we move topics to the lounge. Also there are a lot misplaced threads, people not seem to read and think were they post. Back to the mods, we have to read all judge what to do and when, think sometimes it's more easy to move a topic that is spammed to hell then to clean those topics. A lot topics get screwed just because of postcount, i think that is an evil genius in this all. Really hate that to but if we don't stand up by moving those we kinda allow to spam for the count. Personally i think things will be better if we lose postcount and stars. But that will probably start a riot in here...

But in general you are totally right imo. It is to bad so many good questions end up in the lounge.

I love the question. I would love it if you make this a post in about our website and forum.
You may post this pm (and my reply on it) in there if you like.
Think it's a good idea to discuss the post"count"hunting and the spamming of nice topics with all.

Thoughts? Questions? Information? Criticism?

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-17-2003, 12:57 AM
WoW. :o

Well... i'm a post-count hunter but I mostly post to answer questions. I like to answer questions and help people fix their problems. Occasionally, SPAM comes outta nowhere and I join in or advise them to stop but I'm slowing down now.

1st gen post-whores:
FC has his MusicWorld so he's slowing down...
Neoshoyru has his forum so he's slowing down or totally disappeared...

2nd gen post-whores:
I (Shinigami) have school to think about and I already reached Post-whore so i'm slowing down...
The_Great_Dude will probably slow down when he reaches post-whore as he has a life too ...

So basically, the 4 biggest post-whores here (i believe anyway) are slowing down.
Most likely, there won't be a problem with spamming unless a 3rd generation of post-whore arrives B)

Nobody1234
03-17-2003, 01:11 AM
People are frustrated with the current setup. Posts don't count in a lot of places. They feel cheated so the spam. That's the real problem IMHO. That's why we have "post-count hunters"

kAb
03-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Nobody1234@16 March 2003 - 17:11
That's why we have "post-count hunters"
lol is that what they are called now?

i think the speed at which threads are being moved for "turning to the dark side" needs to slow down.

jetje
03-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Nobody1234@17 March 2003 - 03:11
People are frustrated with the current setup. Posts don't count in a lot of places. They feel cheated so the spam. That's the real problem IMHO. That's why we have "post-count hunters"
you need a mind set change... postcount is just not important So why get frustrated?. Getting apreciated for the content of your posts is....... B) If we can spread that feeling or even give up stars stripes ranks. all problems solved on this issue. that's my opinion....

threads will be clean not spammed and can live a live of there own then... :) without being moved :rolleyes:

ooo
03-17-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Shinigami@17 March 2003 - 01:57
WoW. :o

Well... i'm a post-count hunter but I mostly post to answer questions. I like to answer questions and help people fix their problems. Occasionally, SPAM comes outta nowhere and I join in or advise them to stop but I'm slowing down now.

1st gen post-whores:
FC has his MusicWorld so he's slowing down...
Neoshoyru has his forum so he's slowing down or totally disappeared...

2nd gen post-whores:
I (Shinigami) have school to think about and I already reached Post-whore so i'm slowing down...
The_Great_Dude will probably slow down when he reaches post-whore as he has a life too ...

So basically, the 4 biggest post-whores here (i believe anyway) are slowing down.
Most likely, there won't be a problem with spamming unless a 3rd generation of post-whore arrives B)
i agree... look at those damn post whores... W00T! they eat 100% spam... thatz their fuel... moving threads dont really matter do they? they have links that say it got moved... sooo i dunt get it ... lolz

MagicNakor
03-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by jetje@17 March 2003 - 02:29
you need a mind set change... postcount is just not important So why get frustrated?. Getting apreciated for the content of your posts is..
Because human beings intrinsically want recognition. And the post count fufills those needs, which is why there are many upset people out here.

:ninja:

Bender
03-17-2003, 02:06 AM
In my opinion disabling post count and the stars would work best, only the date you joined should stay.

Are they really that important? I don't think so.
Like Jetje says: it's the content of your posts that count.

Nobody1234
03-17-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by jetje+16 March 2003 - 20:29--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 16 March 2003 - 20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Nobody1234@17 March 2003 - 03:11
People are frustrated with the current setup. Posts don&#39;t count in a lot of places. They feel cheated so the spam. That&#39;s the real problem IMHO. That&#39;s why we have "post-count hunters"
you need a mind set change... postcount is just not important So why get frustrated?. Getting apreciated for the content of your posts is....... B) If we can spread that feeling or even give up stars stripes ranks. all problems solved on this issue. that&#39;s my opinion....

threads will be clean not spammed and can live a live of there own then... :) without being moved :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t need a mindset change. :angry: I am trying to tell you why the board is being spammed. Trying to limit the places where postcounts happen is not working.

Can&#39;t you see that it&#39;s not the postcounting system that&#39;s flawed but the way it setup right now.

It&#39;s not my mindset that is the problem here.

ooo
03-17-2003, 03:04 AM
i say... why dont we just clean out 1 month old posts? or posts that have no responds... or no views for 1 month period? that might save up the spacing... spamming = wastes space? but ppl read stuff anywayz? soo if your trying to save space just delete old posts - dated 1 month or 2 month old... cept for Verified Hashes i guess

kAb
03-17-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Soul814@16 March 2003 - 19:04
i say... why dont we just clean out 1 month old posts? or posts that have no responds... or no views for 1 month period? that might save up the spacing... spamming = wastes space? but ppl read stuff anywayz? soo if your trying to save space just delete old posts - dated 1 month or 2 month old... cept for Verified Hashes i guess
cause people like me can do a search and find answers quick.

if you delete old posts then you have to keep explaining things instead of telling n00bs to search and give them a link.

Nobody1234
03-17-2003, 04:53 AM
I don&#39;t think is a question of not enough space. I think it&#39;s more about not having to see all the useless posts all over the board. It&#39;s a matter of trying to make it all more useful and fuctional.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor+16 March 2003 - 18:00--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 16 March 2003 - 18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetje@17 March 2003 - 02:29
you need a mind set change... postcount is just not important So why get frustrated?. Getting apreciated for the content of your posts is..
Because human beings intrinsically want recognition. And the post count fufills those needs, which is why there are many upset people out here.

:ninja: [/b][/quote]
:P Yea, I want recognition&#33;

Well... it doesn&#39;t really matter though. If everything stays, there still be some mad people. If it changes, there will still be some mad people. ;)

Curley
03-17-2003, 08:37 AM
I think useless posts should be deleted (along with the post count) and the threads should be allowed to stay where they are. Like mentioned previously, you go and try to find a thread you started but its vanished all because of a few spam post, which i&#39;m sure is annoying for the original poster.

Knuckles187
03-17-2003, 09:40 AM
i tihnk they do the right thing.. mainly people post on these tpoics to raise postcount and that is why they go off track.. so if the only way to hit back at them is to move it to lounge.. then good idea to me.

MagicNakor
03-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Shinigami+17 March 2003 - 06:33--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shinigami @ 17 March 2003 - 06:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -MagicNakor@16 March 2003 - 18:00
<!--QuoteBegin--jetje@17 March 2003 - 02:29

:P Yea, I want recognition&#33;

[/b][/quote]
You already have it, you whore. :D

Benno
03-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Curley@17 March 2003 - 09:37
I think useless posts should be deleted (along with the post count) and the threads should be allowed to stay where they are. Like mentioned previously, you go and try to find a thread you started but its vanished all because of a few spam post, which i&#39;m sure is annoying for the original poster.
Probably this is the best way, but this would mean a lot more work for the mods.

The Great Dude
03-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Shinigami@16 March 2003 - 16:57
2nd gen post-whores:
I (Shinigami) have school to think about and I already reached Post-whore so i&#39;m slowing down...

Yes, I&#39;m already slowing down. :P I might pick it up again, but I have other stuff to do. ;)

Skillian
03-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Just wanted to say that there are some members who would like to see the end of the stars/post count...me&#33;

I think there should be some differentiation between newbies and old pros. But I think this should be done on how long someone has been a regular at the board, not the number of posts they have.

I would even go so far as to say that if this was done and some members left, then it would just show they were only here for the post count, and therefore should not be sorely missed.

However it will never happen, as the ones who would object are those with the biggest post count, and whose opinion holds most weight here.

The Great Dude
03-17-2003, 08:17 PM
No one ever thinks about having fun anymore. :P

Skillian
03-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by The_Great_Dude@17 March 2003 - 20:17
No one ever thinks about having fun anymore. :P
Not really sure what that means, but if the post count was gone people could just post for fun, instead of people just posting to increase the count and trying to disguise it as having fun.

The Great Dude
03-17-2003, 08:24 PM
I mean, it&#39;s fun being here, especially the lounge, full of stuff, and the worlds too. :lol: So are you saying I just post as it were a job? ;) :lol:

Skillian
03-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Erm, yes it is fun here but I&#39;m not sure what that has to do with this thread. :blink:

The Great Dude
03-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Just responding to your reply, not the topic, but I guess it would be better to go back on topic. ;)

ooo
03-17-2003, 10:20 PM
how bout this... leave things as it is&#33; lolz... solution to everything... ? in a way lolz for a while... anywayz

jetje
03-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Dude it&#39;s all about fun in here.. imo but also getting good and usefull info.
The fun are the world general chats and the lounge.
The other ones are for helping mainly. No one will complain when there are some fun remarks.
But you see what you guys can do to topics, i don&#39;t have to tell you. You shini and soul, posting after each other in almost every topic.... all at least one reply (then we&#39;re lucky&#33;) to the other we have 6 posts where only the 1st one probably was needed. Don&#39;t get me wrong i also like the fun of being here. But some topics are ment for solving problems and giving hint and tips... B)

ooo
03-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jetje@17 March 2003 - 23:26
Dude it&#39;s all about fun in here.. imo but also getting good and usefull info.
The other ones are for helping mainly. No one will complain when there are some fun remarks.
But you see what you guys can do to topics, i don&#39;t have to tell you. You shini and soul, posting after each other in almost every topic.... all at least one reply (then we&#39;re lucky&#33;) to the other we have 6 posts where only the 1st one probably was needed. Don&#39;t get me wrong i also like the fun of being here. But some topics are ment for solving problems and giving hint and tips... B)
exactly... so just keep things as it was before this thread... you just continue doing your job as a mod and moving posts that don&#39;t belong where they are and stuff like that... :P

jetje
03-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Soul814, you kinda stepped on my wrong toe here, with your reply.
It shows little respect towards the problem.
You kinda say whatever, we mess up you just move.... that&#39;s your job
I was kinda hoping that you say hey maybe they have a point.
I will keep my spamming only in places that are there for..
And leave genuine topics alone, or with constructive replies...

RPerry
03-17-2003, 11:49 PM
If the biggest problem for everyone is the idea of useful posts being spammed, then why not go ahead and let all posts count. I&#39;m sure that there will be many with ungodly numbers of posts, but in the end, does it matter? I do like the idea of the post count, and realize the importance of it will be lessened because someone can just post off - topic posts in the lounge, but thats ok for me, we all know who helps on serious problems.
I don&#39;t mind the idea of having several board gods, or whatever. I just wonder if all it will lead up to is someone posting useless posts in the lounge to obtain that status. That may be the only downfall to this idea.

The Great Dude
03-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by jetje@17 March 2003 - 14:26
I guess you do have a point on that. Ok, I guess some topics are meant to be left alone, isn&#39;t that correct Soul814? :devil: :P I though Shinigami would retire but he&#39;s still active as ever. :lol:

MagicNakor
03-18-2003, 01:33 AM
There probably would be RPerry. Wocus would certainly be a board god by now. :mellow:

Scary thought.

Bender
03-18-2003, 01:45 AM
I said it before in this thread and, since nobody replied on it, I say it again:

In my opinion disabling post count and the stars would work best, only the date you joined should stay.

Are they really that important? I don&#39;t think so.
Like Jetje says: it&#39;s the content of your posts that count.

Any ideas on this? :huh:

Skillian
03-18-2003, 01:50 AM
I did say it earlier in this thread, but if there was a poll I would agree to this, definitely.

RPerry
03-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Bender@17 March 2003 - 20:45
I said it before in this thread and, since nobody replied on it, I say it again:

Sorry bender, but I thought I was replying on it, only just that I don&#39;t agree. Not that I disagee with you, but I kind of like the use of the titles and stars.

MagicNakor
03-18-2003, 04:07 AM
I don&#39;t like the idea of completely disabling titles and stars and post counts. Most forums have some sort of ranking system, and they usually serve as a bar to judge the quality of one&#39;s posts. Joining date doesn&#39;t mean much, in my opinion, but seeing how much a member has contributed to the forum does. I remember when I first came here, and someone had asked a similar question to what I was wondering. A few people answered the question, but for whatever reason I, newbie that I was, followed ShareDaddy&#39;s advice because he had more stars, thus more contributions/experience. I can&#39;t remember what it was now, but I do remember it worked, where the previous newbie/jr. member suggestions hadn&#39;t. ;)

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

kAb
03-18-2003, 04:17 AM
maybe just stars would work best :huh:

cause sometimes n00bs give terrible advice, but it is obvious to follow a board god&#39;s advice cause obviously (and hopefully) they are wiser.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-18-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by kAb@17 March 2003 - 20:17
maybe just stars would work best :huh:

cause sometimes n00bs give terrible advice, but it is obvious to follow a board god&#39;s advice cause obviously (and hopefully) they are wiser.
Yea... I&#39;ve seen newbies give advice... it&#39;s pretty sad :unsure:
Some come in with good suggestions but others are one-liners like "what version are you using?" without even a hint of a suggestion...

hey, is it obvious to follow a post-whore&#39;s advice? :P

But usually the ones with more posts and stars are usually the ones that know what they&#39;re doing... usually... ;)

Curley
03-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Bender@18 March 2003 - 01:45

I also agree to this, it was more or less what I said myself in the "counting posts" thread.

Bender
03-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RPerry+18 March 2003 - 03:00--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RPerry @ 18 March 2003 - 03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bender@17 March 2003 - 20:45

Sorry bender, but I thought I was replying on it, only just that I don&#39;t agree. Not that I disagee with you, but I kind of like the use of the titles and stars. [/b][/quote]
Maybe I should have read your reply more carefully, sorry. :">

Mivaro
03-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Bender@18 March 2003 - 02:45

Yes, i agree it should be best to do without the postcounts.

Quote from MagikNakor:
I remember when I first came here, and someone had asked a similar question to what I was wondering. A few people answered the question, but for whatever reason I, newbie that I was, followed ShareDaddy&#39;s advice because he had more stars, thus more contributions/experience. I can&#39;t remember what it was now, but I do remember it worked, where the previous newbie/jr. member suggestions hadn&#39;t.
So if a newbie asks something, another "5 posts" newbie gives the correct answer and some Boardgod (like Wocus could be :lol: :lol: ) gives a false answer, who do you think the newbie believes....
You can&#39;t judge a member by his postcount, only by reading a lot of posts. After reading 10 posts of Sharedaddy and 10 of Wocus it&#39;s obvious who you should believe :D
Of course there is a chance Wocus is right, but....... :lol: :lol:

tracydani
03-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Get rid of the post counts&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Otherwise, when you all re-name and organize the title I&#39;ll be a "Newbie" again :lol: :D
Can&#39;t keep up with the whores, soon it&#39;ll look like I just joined ;)

But seriously, take to post count away if you want. Doesn&#39;t really serve much of a purpose now anyway. Some say it helps you know who knows what they are talking about, but that has been proven not to be true.

zolaisugly
03-18-2003, 06:06 PM
we have all talked about at some stage i dont see the need for keeping the stars or the post count but i am in favour of keeping the mod&#39;s and admin with there stars tho so you know who is in charge

Curley
03-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Maybe there should be a poll on this?

tracydani
03-18-2003, 07:07 PM
And in that poll, see who wants to have the stars refer to time as a member :D

No real reason for this request. Really ;)

MagicNakor
03-19-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Mivaro@18 March 2003 - 17:45
So if a newbie asks something, another "5 posts" newbie gives the correct answer and some Boardgod (like Wocus could be :lol: :lol: ) gives a false answer, who do you think the newbie believes....
You can&#39;t judge a member by his postcount, only by reading a lot of posts. After reading 10 posts of Sharedaddy and 10 of Wocus it&#39;s obvious who you should believe :D
Of course there is a chance Wocus is right, but....... :lol: :lol:
No, you can&#39;t. However, for the most part, Boardgods know what they&#39;re talking about, and "5 post newbie" information should be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

It&#39;s also pretty unlikely that just one newbie and Wocus would answer a question...

kAb
03-19-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 March 2003 - 19:40
It&#39;s also pretty unlikely that just one newbie and Wocus would answer a question...

i&#39;ve seen it happen many a time <_<

zolaisugly
03-19-2003, 10:12 AM
magic i totally disagree with your thought that if a 5 post newbie or a board god answer&#39;s the person posting the question will listern to the board god.......and take what the 5 post newbie said with a pinch of salt..

now you may joking....if you are not then why do any of us bother? if nobody is going to listern to us we may as well cash in our names and go and do something else

MagicNakor
03-19-2003, 10:52 AM
I haven&#39;t seen Wocus answer any questions, actually. :lol: Not just him by himself.

Zolaisugly, it wasn&#39;t just my thought that a newbie would listen to a board god over another newbie. It&#39;s just common sense, really. Would you listen to the top surgeon in the area or the med-student, if you were to decide on some operation?

I&#39;d choose the surgeon.

zolaisugly
03-19-2003, 11:06 AM
magic your eg does make sense but....we are not talking about a doctor or an op we are just talking about computer&#39;s or the like and some of us have got a lot of computer knowledge but because we only just joined this board does not discount all our years of computer trainiing

Razz
03-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Shinigami@17 March 2003 - 00:57
....there won&#39;t be a problem with spamming unless a 3rd generation of post-whore arrives B)....
any takers :lol: everyboard, irc room or just anywhere needs their spammer :lol: it just wont be the same - now that FC has started from scratch i wonder how long it will take him to regain his post whore status :P