Asus P4S333 MB
P4 2GHz (Northwood methinks)
512MB PC2700 RAM
Geforce 2 mx 400 VideoCard
Couple of HDDs
Liteon DVD Burner
Liteon CD burner

and my problem:

I have been slowly overclocking this pc, and it was running absolutely fine at 20x 115 = 2300MHz, 1.6 Vcore. Then I tried to crank it up a notch. 20x 117 = 2340, 1.65 vcore (well i went to 1.625 but it wasnt stable)

It ran fine for a while, few days maybe, with temps around 35 idle, 50 full load.

Today i decided to do a long 9 hour stress ttest with Prime 95, to ensure it was perfectly stable - big mistake...came in and it was shut off, and wouldnt switch back on.

I cleared the CMOS as per the manual - nothing
Disconnected all but the MB, RAM, Video card and CPU and tried - nothing
Tried an old RAM stick - nothing

So now i am faced with that its either the Video card, CPU, MB or PSU.

I would doubt its the Video card, cos i havent touched it.

When i plug the pc in, i get a little light on the motherboard light up, when i press the power button, the heatsink fan turns maybe 1 or 2 degrees then stops. This would suggest that its not the PSU.

So i am left with that its prob the cpu/mb...i would hazard a guess at the CPU, it seems most likely.

Anyone got any words of inspiration? What would you suggest seems to be the problem?

BTW: there is no noise (beeps etc)

Please help - Ill have to order something soon else i cant get to my movies :huh: :unsure:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@19 May 2004 - 14:41
Ill have to order something soon else i cant get to my movies :huh: :unsure:
;) Do you know what I say about that?

No.I was going to joke around.But i can not.Hope you get it fixed soon. :)

vivitron 15
05-19-2004, 08:34 PM
lol...i thought of you when i typed it actually funky...i could infact get my music, just would need a usb HDD enclosure - its just i wouldnt fancy transfering 4gig files across a usb-1.1 :blink:

Anyhow, ive been looking around and ive another question to add...

if i do indeed (which i guess i will) go for a new CPU, then is there a great improvement over the cache?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=43078 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43078) - 512K cache, Northy methinks?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=58518 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58518) - Prescott, 1MB cache.

the difference is like £10 or so - would i be daft not to/to go for the 1mb one? would it work in my pc?

james_bond_rulez
05-19-2004, 08:41 PM
you probably blown your power supply, just replace it and your back in the game

vivitron 15
05-19-2004, 08:44 PM
i did wonder that - but i get some power to my MB in the form of some little LED, so it couldnt be, could it?

damn i wish i had some spare parts to test with :)

Cheers

edit: in fact, it was just a cheap 300W one...maybe, just maybe..anyway to test w/out using mb etc?

edit2: k, it kinda seems obvious now - shouldnt the case fans still spin regardless of what the mb is doing? like even if there was no cpu etc. i should be able to make them spin?

james_bond_rulez
05-19-2004, 08:59 PM
i am pretty certain u've blown ur psu, just go to the hardware store and buy one, buy a 350W one, at least

install it and turn the power on

vivitron 15
05-19-2004, 09:03 PM
cool - thanks, i will do in the morning, just tryin not to buy anythin to replace a good piece :)

Shiranai_Baka
05-19-2004, 09:03 PM
your psu is prolly dead, I remember my secondary computer had a faulty PSU, it turned on for a while then it would just turn off..

tesco
05-19-2004, 09:05 PM
im also almost certain that it's the psu. when my old one broke, computer just randomly turned off and woudlnt turn back on. if i looked at any fan in my system it would spin the smallest amount then stop. no beeps, nothing worked...

Then i tried the power supply in my old computer and it started up fine. i then bought a new power supply, an enermax 450watt, and it works great.

edit: to test without using a motherboard: look at the 20pin atx connector. there will be one light greenwire. connect that green wire to any one of the black (ground) wires and it will start.

although im not sure if you should keep the green conected to teh black or if it should be touched for only a second...i recomend doing one second, and if that doesnt work then make it stay connected.

good luck,

oh and if it works, then try plugging in just the motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, and vide card, and ram to see if the system starts up.

racer II
05-19-2004, 09:11 PM
oops nvm , didnt read all the replies :frusty: :frusty:

And you can keep the green wire connected to any black wire.

vivitron 15
05-19-2004, 09:27 PM
hmm, it seems to be bad news im afraid - i connected the green to a black and the case fans worked fine..i guess that rules out the psu? or could it still be that - different lines/voltages etc?

tesco
05-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@19 May 2004 - 16:35
hmm, it seems to be bad news im afraid - i connected the green to a black and the case fans worked fine..i guess that rules out the psu? or could it still be that - different lines/voltages etc?
try plugging in just the bare essentials. motherboard, video card, cpu and ram...actually all u really need are the motherboard and cpu, it just wont boot up. (make sure u leave the cpu fan connected obviously)

orcutt989
05-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@19 May 2004 - 20:49
you probably blown your power supply, just replace it and your back in the game
Thats what i was going to say.

vivitron 15
05-19-2004, 09:47 PM
this is what i tried:

I cleared the CMOS as per the manual - nothing
Disconnected all but the MB, RAM, Video card and CPU and tried - nothing
Tried an old RAM stick - nothing

So now i am faced with that its either the Video card, CPU, MB or PSU.

the chance of it being the video card are pretty slim - i havent ever touched it since it went in, so im guessing from these its cpu/mb

edit: btw i am incredibly grateful to you all - i have very little cash at the minute, so am desperately trying to spend as little as poss :) - might try in the morning getting a PSU to test (outside the pc) then if it doesnt work, ill return it "unused and unwanted" then move on...though i could do with ordering soon, so i can get this thing fired back up - i doubt i can handle much longer typing on this laptop