PDA

View Full Version : Former President Ronald W. Reagan

BigBank_Hank
06-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Since out other thread got deleted I thought that I’d remake this one.

This thread is to express sentiment to the Reagan family so please keep this politics free.

Reagan was a patriot and a great leader.

R.I.P.

http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/v168/BigBank_Hank/reagan_photo.jpg

http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/v168/BigBank_Hank/flags-halfstaff.jpg

newcster68
06-10-2004, 04:17 AM
http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/newcster68/reagan3.jpg

Biggles
06-10-2004, 08:21 PM
What has happened to all the threads??

:blink:

chalice
06-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@10 June 2004 - 20:29
What has happened to all the threads??

:blink:
Rip The Jacker pretty much book-burned the fuck out of us, Biggles.

History is written by the victors.

j2k4
06-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Now I am doubly bereft; I thought we had a reasonably good memorial thread going.

All the ceremonial activities so far have been rather extraordinary, although I think Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) ought to be drawn and quartered for inappropriate politicization of the viewing in the Capital Rotunda.

I thought Dick Cheney's encomium was very well-done, and touched on all the qualities which made Reagan what he was.

Superb job, that.

In any case, many who were too young to remember what a State funeral is, can experience it, even though with a media-provided remove.

The funeral tomorrow should, I think, be quite a large and moving event.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@10 June 2004 - 15:57
Now I am doubly bereft; I thought we had a reasonably good memorial thread going.

All the ceremonial activities so far have been rather extraordinary, although I think Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) ought to be drawn and quartered for inappropriate politicization of the viewing in the Capital Rotunda.

I thought Dick Cheney's encomium was very well-done, and touched on all the qualities which made Reagan what he was.

Superb job, that.

In any case, many who were too young to remember what a State funeral is, can experience it, even though with a media-provided remove.

The funeral tomorrow should, I think, be quite a large and moving event.
I agree with everything you said.Ted Stevens should not of brought Politics up yesterday.It was not the Place for it.And Dick Cheney was superb at the way he handled it.

You are right j2k4.You are talking to a Generation that has never seen nothing like this.The last time a Funeral was done in this matter was 1973.Before I or many of my Peers were born.

So yesterday I was enjoying it.I mean how many times will you see this in your life time?Not too many.

:)

Busyman
06-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@10 June 2004 - 18:22
So yesterday I was enjoying it.I mean how many times will you see this in your life time?Not too many.

Enjoying what?

A funeral for a former President? :huh:

btw 32 people were hospitalized from heat exhaustion.

I saw many waiting on the ride home on the subway.

I looked down to Suitland Parkway and saw them waving the American flag in anticipation of the motorcade.

The motorcade started near my house at Andrews Air Force Base and ended down the street from where I work.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Busyman+10 June 2004 - 18:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman &#064; 10 June 2004 - 18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@10 June 2004 - 18:22

Enjoying what? [/b][/quote]
;) Enjoying watching something you hardly ever see.If you would of read between the lines. :P

Busyman
06-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+10 June 2004 - 19:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 10 June 2004 - 19:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@10 June 2004 - 18:50
<!--QuoteBegin-FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@10 June 2004 - 18:22

Enjoying what?
;) Enjoying watching something you hardly ever see.If you would of read between the lines. :P [/b][/quote]
Notice none of this happened for Nixon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw I understood but I guess from a white person&#39;s perspective it would be cool.

From my black perspective it was an inconvenience that just caused crowded subways and traffic conjestion.

I guess I could look at it as a huge military march with a casket that didn&#39;t even have his body in it.

It&#39;s good symbolism though. ;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Busyman@10 June 2004 - 19:29

;) Nixon did not want any of this.

Busyman
06-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+10 June 2004 - 20:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 10 June 2004 - 20:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@10 June 2004 - 19:29
Notice none of this happened for Nixon. :lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:

;) Nixon did not want any of this. [/b][/quote]
huh :huh:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+10 June 2004 - 19:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 10 June 2004 - 19:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@10 June 2004 - 20:32
<!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@10 June 2004 - 19:29

huh :huh: [/b][/quote]
Nixon wanted a normal Funeral.This is a choice that Reagan made. :)

Busyman
06-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+10 June 2004 - 20:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN &#064; 10 June 2004 - 20:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@10 June 2004 - 19:32

Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@10 June 2004 - 20:32
<!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@10 June 2004 - 19:29

huh :huh:
Nixon wanted a normal Funeral.This is a choice that Reagan made. :) [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m not surprised that he would want an extravagant funeral (which I understand is normal for a President) or that Nixon wanted a normal funeral seeing that he was disgraced.

I&#39;m just glad it wasn&#39;t on TV during the NBA Finals. <_<

Voetsek
06-11-2004, 09:25 AM
History will show ron was a great pres forward and aware he did a lot a lot of older poeple will miss ron bye bye big guy

j2k4
06-12-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Busyman@10 June 2004 - 18:29
From my black perspective it was an inconvenience that just caused crowded subways and traffic conjestion.

I guess I could look at it as a huge military march with a casket that didn&#39;t even have his body in it.

B-

Try to set aside your "black" perspective long enough to try your "American" one, if you can find it.

How aware are you (as one who apparently disliked Reagan intensely) of the political minority you inhabit, and how would you justify your callow expressions to the millions who are mourning a beloved leader?

What manner of cynicism brings you to assert the casket was empty?

I have a question:

Whether the first black President of our country is Colin Powell (doubtful, due to his age) or Harold Ford (D-Rep. Tennessee-an up-and-comer, to be sure), would you forego attending the funeral procession of either because they were politicians, or attend, because they were black?

Also this, as I am suddenly very curious:

In your view, is Clarence Thomas a terrible Supreme Court Justice because he is Conservative, or a great Justice, because he is black?

Busyman
06-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by j2k4+11 June 2004 - 22:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 &#064; 11 June 2004 - 22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@10 June 2004 - 18:29

B-

1.Try to set aside your "black" perspective long enough to try your "American" one, if you can find it.

2.How aware are you (as one who apparently disliked Reagan intensely) of the political minority you inhabit, and how would you justify your callow expressions to the millions who are mourning a beloved leader?

3.What manner of cynicism brings you to assert the casket was empty?

4.I have a question:

Whether the first black President of our country is Colin Powell (doubtful, due to his age) or Harold Ford (D-Rep. Tennessee-an up-and-comer, to be sure), would you forego attending the funeral procession of either because they were politicians, or attend, because they were black?

5.Also this, as I am suddenly very curious:

In your view, is Clarence Thomas a terrible Supreme Court Justice because he is Conservative, or a great Justice, because he is black? [/b][/quote]
1. I cannot "set aside" my black perspective. I am black. I do see things from other points of view unlike our former President. Ex. I see why if one were rich that one would vote Republican if their importance were money,,blahblah.
(not saying that&#39;s the only reason)

2. Millions can love the devil for all I care. That doesn&#39;t mean I will set aside what I feel and know.

3. Just a logical security measure. If I were a "higher up", I&#39;d do the same.

4. Very simple. Neither. I&#39;d attend if I liked them.

5. Who said he was terrible?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Is it just me or(trying to explain this :blink: ).....

Did it seem the Media was too fucking close to everything at the end?It was suppose to be Private from what I understood.The Service in Washington D.C. was for the World.Cali was for Family and Friends.Bullshit&#33;

I mean when Nancy got up there and started crying after receiving the Flag off the Coffin all you heard was Cameras going off.Sounded like Hundreds of them.There was a couple of Camera guys that looked like they were no more then 5 feet away.

I mean one Video Camera looking down could of been enough showing everything.Not all that.

But there I was watching.No better then the rest I guess.At a Church Picnic.Seemed like a hundred People standing around watching this little TV.

And then off we went to Drink our Beer and Gamble.God Bless America. :beerchug:

FC B)

Biggles
06-12-2004, 09:45 AM
FC

I would tend to agree.

I didn&#39;t catch much of the formal proceedings but I saw the handing over of the flag on breakfast news this morning. I felt I was intruding and changed channels. I presume the family approved the media presence and I guess as they have lived with it for years it was not so odd as it would have been for you or I.

j2k4
06-12-2004, 01:10 PM
QUOTE (j2k4 @ 11 June 2004 - 22:56)
QUOTE (Busyman @ 10 June 2004 - 18:29)

B-

1.Try to set aside your "black" perspective long enough to try your "American" one, if you can find it.

2.How aware are you (as one who apparently disliked Reagan intensely) of the political minority you inhabit, and how would you justify your callow expressions to the millions who are mourning a beloved leader?

3.What manner of cynicism brings you to assert the casket was empty?

4.I have a question:

5.Also this, as I am suddenly very curious:

In your view, is Clarence Thomas a terrible Supreme Court Justice because he is Conservative, or a great Justice, because he is black?

1. I cannot "set aside" my black perspective. I am black. I do see things from other points of view unlike our former President. Ex. I see why if one were rich that one would vote Republican if their importance were money,,blahblah.
(not saying that&#39;s the only reason)

You will not cease to need a black perspective until you learn to use it a little less, B.

We&#39;re not talking economics or international trade, or foreign policy here, we&#39;re talking racism, which is practiced (still) by both sides.

You mentioned Apartheid?

Revisit the situation; I believe the shoe is entirely on the other foot-in fact, I&#39;ve heard things are worse than ever in South Africa.

2. Millions can love the devil for all I care. That doesn&#39;t mean I will set aside what I feel and know.

When evaluating politics and candidates, or policies and their effects, it is always better to forego feeling for thought.

Feelings are often misleading, and lack logic, as you know.

3. Just a logical security measure. If I were a "higher up", I&#39;d do the same.

What logic?

What security?

The man is, after all, dead.

4. Very simple. Neither. I&#39;d attend if I liked them.

I&#39;m still not absolutely clear why you felt such loathing for Reagan; Any misguided idea his concerns were exclusively for the rich can easily be disposed of-ditto the arguments he didn&#39;t care about AIDS, or blacks, or any of the pet complaints of the left.

And please don&#39;t bring up the air-traffic controllers; they called his bluff and lost.

5. Who said he was terrible?

He either is, or is not, depending upon whom you are talking to; usually being appointed by a rich Republican is enough to garner the negative opinion.

He&#39;s a puppet of the white man to liberals, or very much his own man if you are not liberal.

Some, in otherwise respectable positions, "hope that white wife of his cooks him eggs for breakfast every morning so he dies of the heart-attack he deserves".

Jullianne Malveaux? Donna Brazile?

I can&#39;t remember, but it doesn&#39;t really matter, does it?

What do you think, B?

I think you need a little work on your Sowell.