PDA

View Full Version : Reading Recommendations

MagicNakor
06-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Just a little list for people to add their reading recommendations to.

A few from me:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords)
The Serpentwar Saga (Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of the Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, Shards of a Broken Crown) and the Riftwar Saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon (and I'll add Prince of the Blood and the King's Buccaneer here since they happen at the same time)) by Raymond E. Feist. I'll throw in the Empire Series (Servant of the Empire, Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire) by Ramond E. Feist and Janny Wurts as well, but it takes a bit to get into.
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence
The Count of Monte Cristro by Alexander Dumas
The Prophet by Kahil Gibran
Illusions by Richard Bach
Hamlet by William Shakespeare (although I'd really have to recommend most of Shakespeare's works :P)
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (as well as other works of his such as Farenheight 451 and a number of the short stories)
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe (as well as his other works)
The poetry of John Keats

That's what I recall off the top of my head at work. I'll add to it later. Hopefully others will add to this list, as it was before the unfortunate deletion.

:ninja:

100%
06-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Kevin Mitnick - Art Of Deception
Eazy read about hacking, conning people/companies, security and getting caught.
(available on kza in .pdf or pm me)

http://www.defensivethinking.com/aod/art/aod_cov_large.jpg

"The Art of Deception is an excellent book. While the tactics could be used by hackers, the book is more about exploiting trust than computers and even non-techies can learn from its lessons.
Pros

* Fascinating read even for non-techies
* Valuable information for corporations to know

Cons

* Moral of the story gets redundant
* Not much can be done to secure the human element

Description

* Much of the book reads more like a novel than a book about hackers- interesting read.
* Learn how bits of information that seem meaningless or useless alone provide the keys to the vault.
* The best firewalls and intrusion detection can't stop the employees from giving out information.

Guide Review - Book Review- The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick
While some debate that he is the best hacker ever- Kevin Mitnick is certainly the most notorious hacker. Having been the target of an FBI manhunt and eventually being sentenced to jail for his exploits, Kevin Mitnick's name has become almost a household word. As more attention is focused on information security, companies around the world deploy the latest firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software and other security measures to keep hackers out. Meanwhile, little or no attention is paid to the weakest link of corporate security- the users. This book will illustrate just how useful seemingly useless information can be when put together by someone who knows how."

guit_steel
06-14-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey, Zedaxax, I heard mofos just stole your post for his book report. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Lazy Whiner Rant (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=114254)

Randomblonde
06-28-2004, 04:06 AM
THE DA VINCI CODE and ANGELS and DEMONS by Dan Brown

THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Seabold

THE LONG HARD ROAD OUT OF HELL by Marilyn Manson

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY by Irving Stone

MEDEA by Euripides

BASH; LATTER DAY PLAYS by Neil LaBute

HEDDA GABLER by Henrik Ibsen

pusher
07-31-2004, 09:30 AM
A few recommendations from what I've been reading:

Tennesse Williams - The Glass Menagerie, Orpheus Descending, just pick up a book of plays or stories from him. It's all good.

Lorraine Hansberry - A Raisin in the Sun

Alton Brown - I'm Just Here for The Food - I've recommended this book before, but it's a really interesting read on food, science, and uh... food science.

Edgar Allan Poe - The Complete Poetry of.. - Any collection of poetry by Poe is good. Borders has a sale on his Complete Works.

ilw
07-31-2004, 02:48 PM
I've enjoyed pretty much everything by iain m banks, he writes both sci-fi (The Cultrue) and a variety general fiction. If you want to try the sci-fi books i'd recommend "the player of games" or "consider philebas". If you prefer normal fiction i quite liked "the business" and "espedair street".

Anything by George Orwell, he's a fantastic writer and really easy & fun to read. I particularly like "1984" and "down and out in paris and london"

edit: mixed up street names :">

pusher
11-21-2004, 06:36 AM
The Code Book - Simon Singh

Cronomagus
02-24-2005, 02:22 AM
No comics yet? For shame!

If you're looking for good comics, I wholeheartedly recommend Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon and Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson. Both are wonderful, epic adventures of two guys trying to do what's right in a world doing everything wrong.

As for books, off the top of the head I can only recommend anything by Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, as well as Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

DarthInsinuate
03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Ex Machina - an excellent comic, which keeps throwing out plot twists right from issue 1

Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore - the best graphic novel in my ever changing opinion. A horribly twisted story which twisted my emotions throughout, i thought it was great

Gemby!
03-13-2005, 08:01 PM
'To kill a mockingbird' by Harper Lee :)

trajillo
03-24-2005, 06:09 AM
Bourne Series By Henry Ludlem

BoB!1!
03-30-2005, 01:09 PM
STEVEN KING - THE STAND!!!

every one has to read this book (the unabreviated version) cause it's the best book in the world, long but great! (1500 pages)

dano99
04-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Jack Vances 'Planet of adventure' if you are a sci-fi and fantasy fan. Jack Vance is incredible when it comes to creating new worlds, he really takes you there. I'm so surprised that so little people know him.

"Eye of the over lord and the last castle, the same author are good reading too.

'Moving mars' By greg bear was interesting too. I also like 'Rogue Planet (Star wars book) by Greg bear.

'Vector Prime,' Star wars NJO serie )By R a Salvator is a good fic too.

Tago Mago
04-17-2005, 11:59 AM
For any who like crime fiction, I'd recommend George Pelecanos. He's written some scripts for The Wire, which everyone seems to be raving about. I started with 'King Suckerman', which is the second in a quartet, but is a nice dropping in point.

Gripper
04-28-2005, 11:21 PM
The Assassin novels by Robin Hobb,actually all the books by this author have been a fantastic read

maebach
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Of mice and Men by Jon Steinbeck
LOTR series - JRR Tolkien

maebach
06-19-2005, 08:24 PM
the redwall series by Brian jacques. really easy, almost for any age.

Barbarossa
07-13-2005, 02:50 PM
The Serpentwar Saga (Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of the Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, Shards of a Broken Crown) and the Riftwar Saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon (and I'll add Prince of the Blood and the King's Buccaneer here since they happen at the same time)) by Raymond E. Feist. I'll throw in the Empire Series (Servant of the Empire, Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire) by Ramond E. Feist and Janny Wurts as well, but it takes a bit to get into.

...figured you'd be a Raymond E. Feist fan from your name ... ;)

Anyway....recommendations....

If you like Frank Herberts "Dune" series of books, I can recommend the "Legends of Dune" trilogy by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson:

"Butlerian Jihad"
"The Machine Crusades"
"The Battle of Corrin".

Also, by the same two authors, "House Corrino", "House Harkonnen", "House Atreides", which are like prequels to "Dune".

zdr
08-04-2005, 03:38 PM
One hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez
Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

dantana
08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Everyone should read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, if you haven't already. Absolutely brilliant piece of writing.

ice-t
10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I got over 3.000 e-books, all the beste series, Deathlands, Outlanders, Dune, Discworld, wheel of time, m.m If u want to exchange books with me, please send me your book wishes, and your booklist at my e-mail [email protected] and i`ll send you my booklist, is now compleate with 3.000 books.

Have i great day!

Ice-t

oceansgurlie
11-11-2005, 11:56 PM
deception point from dan brown. this one is actually so much better than the da vinci code!!!!

DorisInsinuate
11-12-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm recommending Ex Machina again, witty, tense, exciting, and well-placed uses of the word fuck.

There's two trade paperbacks available now, the series has won an Eisner Award, and the first issue is available free on the DCcomics website. You have no excuse not to read it.

ssladler
11-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Anything by Ron Carlson. He writes short stories which are funny, touching, and true.

Cholay
11-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Re: Reading Recommendations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by MagicNakor

...If your a Raymond E. Feist fan ... and are into Fantasy Books :

Id have to recommend

Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
The Cleric Quintet - R.A.Salvator
Dark Elf Trilogy - (R.A.Salvator) also by him are :
Icewind Dale Trilogy , Hunters Blade Trilogy and Paths of Darkness Trilogy

Must Reads...

DorisInsinuate
12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
The Iron Man by Ted Hughes

A nice short (children's) book, possibly my favouritest book of all time. I was only suddenly reminded of it just now for some reason.

maebach
12-19-2005, 12:39 AM
I'd recommend the Redwall series for kids.

Gemby!
12-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I'd recommend the Redwall series for kids.

I have read those and they are quite interesting. PLUS the animals live in their own little world - can you get any cuter ? :w00t:

hisamrain
06-22-2006, 02:52 AM
THE DA VINCI CODE and ANGELS and DEMONS by Dan Brown

THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Seabold

Dar-Sala-at
07-18-2006, 12:31 AM
The Pearl Saga Trilogy by Eric Lustbader..

I found it here.. cool reading.. much better than LOTR

http://powerbooks.1.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx

Neva
08-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Comic recommations that i would recommend to read:

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/ - Its funny comic that tells adventures Ohfort'sake(naming error at creation) in online gaming world Clichequest. There are currentle more than 200 episodes in this one.

http://www.seraph-inn.com/ - Second comic is more fantasy/anime style comic. The story of Inverloch centers around a young man named Acheron, from a horned wolf-like race called the da'kor. After a chance encounter with an elf, he finds himself setting out on a seemingly innocent mission - that of trying to locate Kayn'dar, another elf who has been missing for the past twelve years. There are more than 600 pages in this one.

http://goblinscomic.com/ - Third comic tells tales of goblins, Life through their eyes in world that uses Dungeons and Dragons 3.0 rules(or some parts of it). I must also warn that this comic sometimes contains scenes of extreme violence. It is not suitable for younger readers.

yoshae
11-18-2006, 10:32 PM
the sandman is supposed to be a really good graphic novel (comic book if you will)

but my favorite book of all timeL
100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

get some Borges short stories if you want your mind to be blown sufficiently

mattnmarley
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Boy's life by Robert Mcgammon.

JoManta45
02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
really good graphic novels are jason lute's "Berlin" and everything by joe sacco (e.g. "the fixer")

prima1
02-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Lolita 'Vladimir Nabokov'
The last temptation of the Christ 'Nikos Kazantzakis'
Zorba 'Nikos Kazantzakis'
1984 'George Orwell'
Demian 'Hermann Hesse'
Steppen Wolf 'Hermann Hesse'
The Unbearable Lightness of being 'Milan Kundera'
The Joke 'Milan Kundera'
100 Years of Solitude 'Gabriel Garcia Marquez'

RickDangerous
03-01-2007, 04:15 AM
I've recently read "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.
Very very very good!
For those who don't know what it's about, it's placed in 480 Β.C. ancient Greece. King Xerxes of the Persian Empire plans to conquer Greece and then move on to the rest of Europe.
The book gives a look at life in ancient Greece but focuses mostly on the Spartans.
It all comes down to the battle of Thermopylae.
On the 3rd day of battle king Leonidas and the 300 Spartans along with their Thespian allies decide to stand and fight knowing they will soon be surrounded by the Persians.
Trust me this book will give you the chills!:ghostface

moikan
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Enders game - Orson Scott Card
one of the best books for sci-fi fans - Highly recomended!!

here is the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game

TorrenTy
04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
"The curious incident of the dog in the night-time"
By Mark Haddon

winner of the whitebread book of the year .

it is outstanding , a Stunningly good read , Independent.

jelogisa
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Here is the very best of the very best of my books :)

Graphic novels :

Neil Gaiman's Sandman
Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo

Sci-fi & Fantasy recommandations:

China Mieville: Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council
Greg Egan: all novels, but especially Distress (for hard science fans)
Dan Simmons: Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion
Orson Scott Card: the old novels, and especially Songmaster
Neil Gaiman: Neverwhere
Neil Gaiman & Terry Prattchett: Good omens
Terry Prattchett: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky
George R Martin: A Song for Lya, Songs of Stars and Shadow, A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones and all books following)

Classic Sci-Fi:

Robert Heinlein: Friday, Podkayne of Mars, The Door Into Summer, etc...
Clifford Simak: Way Station

Non fantasy:

CS Forester: The Captain Hornblower series
Leo Perutz: The Swedish Cavalier
John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men

Oh yes, and I fully agree with this one favorite from TorrentTy as well:

"The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" By Mark Haddon

leeter
05-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Demian - Hermann Hesse
Steppen - Wolf 'Hermann Hesse'

Saroman
05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I was looking for some good biographies...especially sports ones...can anyone recommend some..!! :)

Cheers
Saroman

anions
07-29-2007, 05:45 PM
The curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon :D

jiggawhaaat
09-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I recommend Kurt Vonnegut to anyone who sees this.

Grind$oFine
09-14-2007, 03:39 AM
The Kite by Khaled Hosseini is pretty good.

I have yet to read the one following it up though, Splendid something..

Trexx
09-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Flashforward by J. S. Sawyer (Probably got the first and middle names wrong.)

Saroman
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I was looking for some good biographies...especially sports ones...can anyone recommend some..!! :)

Cheers
Saroman

Still no replies :huh:

ROFL-LOL
09-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Eragon.

punki_rach
10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
All of Chuck Palahniuk's books are great. I'm sure you've all heard of Fight Club

AmpeD
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
playboy, there are some really interesting articles on the models in there

Grind$oFine
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
playboy, there are some really interesting articles on the models in there

:lol:

Liiiikely story.. ;)

ChЯis
10-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I don`t know if anyone said this allready but here`s my recomendations

The Darkness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_%28comics%29

amazing comic that has alot of dark humor and action

The Walking Dead

I can`t describe it, it`s got alot going on and it`s a great comic. check wikipedia for the main characters and story.

sexydingo
10-09-2007, 12:41 AM
About halfway through Red Seas Under Red Skies, which is the awesome sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora. If you haven't read this yet and you like good fantasy then I highly recommend them both. Scott Lynch is the best debut fantasy author in a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lamora-Scott-Lynch/dp/0553804677/ref=ed_oe_h/102-2398720-4418559
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Seas-Under-Skies/dp/0553804685/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-2398720-4418559?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191890337&sr=8-2

ChЯis
10-11-2007, 01:14 AM
I`d also recommend Darth Bane: Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn

A great story set around 4000 years before the first Star wars movie, it`s amazing how the charater evolves over the course of the book.

punki_rach
01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I'd recommend Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. It's a classic and my favourite book of all time. Also, the Picture of Dorian Gray is very clever and I love the plot. Also a classic, but I'm not recommending it for that reason

pirateofpapu
02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
O Jerusalem - excellent book about the turbulent birth of Israel.
Man's Search for meaning - If you are ever feeling down, read the book, its about how hope keeps a prisoner of nazi concentration camp alive.
Guns Germs and Steel - A classic by Jared Diamond

Thats all I can think off the top of my head :)

lynx
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
The Kite by Khaled Hosseini is pretty good.

I have yet to read the one following it up though, Splendid something..I think you mean "The Kite Runner". I agree though, it is an excellent read, and the recently released film is quite good too.
I'm also looking forward to reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns".

However, one that I think people should look out for is "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.
I defy anyone to claim they finished it without a lump in their throat.

Ri0T
04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I would recommend 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop, a moving novel about a leper colony located on a Greek island.

nthpeter
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
I can recommend Leslie L. Lawrence and Robin Cook. Their books are great, even the new ones. I like Robin Cook - Fever the most.

bilkenter
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
i would recommend Anthony Beevor, his historical books are definitely great... i luvvvvvvvvv them very much

eram
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
stefan aust - der baader meinhof komplex

really good book about the "rote armee fraktion" in the 60 ies 70 ies
should also be available in english .
always remember those times!

Coldarth
08-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm fantasy books fan. George R.R Martin and his "A Song of Ice and Fire" is on my top :) I would recommend this series for fantasy fans. It's "must have" series.

Karel
11-22-2008, 11:58 PM
if you are a sci-fi fan, id recommend anything by Steven Gould, start with Teleport (duh :)
but, seriously, all his books are great

RPF
12-22-2008, 01:18 AM
'To kill a mockingbird' by Harper Lee :)

OOOH, a different breed - I like that! Great classic - read many of those.

Here is one that is not a classic but is more along the lines of some of the previous posts: Weaveworld - Clive Barker.

Robert24
12-24-2008, 11:06 AM
The Da vinci Code

StrawDog17
02-13-2009, 01:27 AM
House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski

The Beach - Alex Garland

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk

Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis

Choke - Palahniuk

Last Exit to Brooklyn - Hubert Selby

Sprall
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
The Skystone (Dream of Eagles Cycle) Jack Whyte

A great spin on Arthurian Legend

Qlix
06-27-2009, 09:44 PM
A boy called it.
Good book. Horrible at the same time

vegasx
07-07-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm gonna go out and recommend a classic masterpiece. Dante's Inferno!

Must read.

samwheat
12-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Walden - Henry David Thoreau
Dialogues - Plato
The Origin of the Family: Private Property and the State - Friedrich Engels
A Passion for Nature: The Life of John Muir - Donald Worster

GeorgeJung
12-03-2009, 07:44 PM
i recomand you guys to read Candy for the mind it's very cool the book :)

_Surfer_
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Steppen Wolf (Hermann Hesse)

Hera05
05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Lorraine Hansberry - A Raisin in the Sun

Vandeley
08-15-2010, 08:56 PM
the Book Thief - Markus Zusak

belabartok
09-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Rayuela by Cortazar, best novel ever

hulabula
09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine

Please read it if you have 7-8 hours to spare. Won't take more than that. I promise you will feel more intelligent after the 8 hours, even if only a little, and you'll be very fascinated as well. And if you do read it, please let me know what you thought about it. :D

Here's the link to the ebook *link removed / read the rules*

Renzokuken-
10-13-2010, 08:56 AM
The new autobiography of Stephen Fry is out. "The Fry chronicles." It's highly recommended IF you've read and liked the first one, entitled, "Moab is my Washpot."

RuslanI
10-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Hyperion saga - all 4 books. Actually i was re-reading them for like 3rd time.

iBulldozer
10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
imo The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson

aerospace
11-07-2010, 04:17 AM
The Gunsliger by Stephen King. Movie gets released in 2012; so I suggest reading it before then.

xripper
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
'Jack and Jill' by James Patterson. Fast, furious and fun!!!!!

teasun
11-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Readyplayerone..scifi takes place in 2045 where alot of humans live in cyperspace with an avatar they created because real life sucks so much.The storyis about a quest to find 3 keys that will make them filthy rich. the first scifi i read in years since a friend recommended it. Excellent read.

andrewmicky
12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
My recommendation on reading is read properly. every thing is depend upon reading.

IdolEyes787
12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
My recommendation on reading is read properly. every thing is depend upon reading.

That's true I never would have learned to walk or talk if I hadn't read about it first.

andyoume
02-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Thank you for the list.

celina915
04-04-2012, 10:04 AM
i want to know more on this. where on online i get it? how much does it cost?

YourKiller
04-20-2012, 02:10 AM
deception point from dan brown

Busaum
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM

That's true I never would have learned to walk or talk if I hadn't read about it first.

He's referring to this one:

IdolEyes787
07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Too bad you didn't read it.

vinnywiz
07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
for me my most fav are the abhorsen trilogy....

evlucy
08-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Lakeshore Chronicle series by Susan Wiggs.