PDA

View Full Version : New Game

dave
03-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Hello,
I'm working on a custom game. I was wondering if people download custom games, or just commerecial games. I'm guessing my game (untitled as of now) will be about 700 MB compressed, however it will be freeware. Is it a good idea to post on Kazaa?
How would I promote it and get people to download?
Thanks,
Dave

PS: What do you think the best way to store it would be? Would it be best if I created it as a Winzip Self-Extractor (my best idea. It's compressed & it has the .exe extention so it will show up if someone does a software only search), or is best as a plain zip file?
It will take a while to be finished, though.

stoi
03-17-2003, 06:24 AM
If you put it as a .exe or it will be easier to find, but still very hard if your the only person with the file on the whole network.

Also i dont know about everyone but for me i never download .exe games, to many things ripped out so i never search for them, and i think most ppl on fast connections are the same, they would rather have a ,bin or .iso as they have everything in them.

Its only ppl on slow connections who cant download big files that download .exes but the max they probably go for is 200meg, so if you have a 700meg.zip or .exe then i cant see many ppl on slow connections downloading it either.

If you can and if its possible try to make 1 or even 2 .iso or .bin files even if the total size is over 700meg.

also you could always post a verified on the forum along with a link to a website with lots of screenshots and a description of what the game is about. I would PM a moderator first though but i cant see anything wrong with it.

Also if you want the file to spread you could pm ppl with FTP`s in their signatures, and ask if you could upload it to them and for them to share it on kazaa and emule, this way it will sprea quicker.

hope this helps

stoi

MagicNakor
03-17-2003, 07:34 AM
I generally only download commerical games (although nothing really really popular...obscure is still commerical if it was sold at one point :D). Guess it depends what kind of game it is, and how good it's done.

:ninja:

CornerPocket
03-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by dave@17 March 2003 - 00:08
Is it a good idea to post on Kazaa?
How would I promote it and get people to download?
Thanks,
Dave

Place it on Kazaa?
Why not, that would be a great way to promote it. It would be interesting to see what you have to offer.

How to get people to download?
Use the Sig2Dat program to create a hash for it and place it within the Verifieds - Games Section, Im sure there will be lots of folks interested to see the final product, good luck! B)

Leech_Killer
03-17-2003, 03:25 PM
If your going to compress it use WinRar instead of WinZip. You can still create a self-extracting file but with WinRar it'll compress it into a smaller file, making it quicker to download.

Icey
03-17-2003, 04:11 PM
good luck with the game.. tell us when u finsh

toddiscool
03-19-2003, 12:38 PM
I will try it, if it is bin, or iso. I do not F**k with RIPS

MagicNakor
03-19-2003, 10:50 PM
From what I gather, he's making his own game, so it won't be a rip.

Good luck with that. :)

:ninja: