PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Hacking

tracydani
06-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Something that runs through the back of my mind when people are talking about being hacked.

Aside from the methods that hijack your computer and have it do various things in the background such as email, ddos, keylogging and such what does the hacker see?

When people talk about hackers having access to and control over all my files and folders, do they see it from my screen? I don't mean sitting at my comp., but do they see only what is on my desktop at the time?

When I am at work the system admin will log on now and then and I see everything he does. Is hacking like that? Am I at risk of coming home one evening and finding someone browsing all my Britanny Spears photos or (god forbid) deleting all my Kitty Kitty videos?

Or are they doing this without me seeing it at all?

Thanks for any insight.

TD

james_bond_rulez
06-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Hackers are everywhere and they can do anything with your computer, and by that I mean ANYTHING they want.

tracydani
06-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Yes, but if I am in the room will I see them offing Kitty Kitty? Or will Kitty just dissappear one day?

TD

tracydani
06-13-2004, 05:21 PM
No one with any input on this? Just curious if I can see this happening or if it is all behind the scene.

TD

dopey
06-13-2004, 05:39 PM
they basically can have as much control over your computer as you do. :o

what does the kitty kitty mean? <_<

tracydani
06-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Kitty Kitty (http://www.groovygames.com/kitty/)

Tell me you didn&#39;t allready know that ;)

TD

EDIT: I understand they can have the same control, what I am curious about is can I see them doing what they do if they are doing it while I am looking at the screen. I don&#39;t wanna walk in the room while some cyber dude is wanking to my pics :lol:

dopey
06-13-2004, 06:03 PM
oh, ok.

i just know it as hello kitty. LOL

edit:

depending on the type of program involved, you may be able to see it in your running processes, or notice a drop in your bandwidth. there are some hacking programs that i&#39;m seeing more and more that are invisible unless you know what you&#39;re looking for. :(

nice visual. :blink: but i don&#39;t think you will actually see a cyber dude.

4play
06-13-2004, 11:48 PM
it all depends really.

you will need a rootkit to infect your pc for a hacker to gain full control

these range from full on vnc servers which give them control of keyboard and mouse and a shitty version of your screen to view or just a basic one that just gives you a simple shell or a few buttons to press.

insecure.org (http://www.insecure.org/stc/) has a pretty decent write up on what crackers really get up to might be worth a look.

tracydani
06-14-2004, 02:12 PM
So for the most part, what they do is nothing like what my system admin at work can do? As far as how they see it anyway. And they can/will rifle through my stuff without me visually seeing it being done?

Ok, thanks. I will check out that link now.

TD

lynx
06-14-2004, 08:31 PM
It depends on how you&#39;ve been infected (there needs to be some sort of trojan on your pc) and what control that gives them.

In theory they could have total control over your pc without you even knowing they were there. But of course the more they do the greater the chance they will be detected, so most hackers don&#39;t have that level of control because they don&#39;t need it.

Illuminati
06-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by lynx@14 June 2004 - 21:39
It depends on how you&#39;ve been infected (there needs to be some sort of trojan on your pc) and what control that gives them.

In theory they could have total control over your pc without you even knowing they were there. But of course the more they do the greater the chance they will be detected, so most hackers don&#39;t have that level of control because they don&#39;t need it.
Damn - Lynx beat me to what I was gonna say :lol:

But basically the answer has already been told - What a hacker can/can&#39;t see and/or do on your computer depends on what the trojan can do. For example, although lot of keyloggers today records every key typed on an infected computer and transmits it back to the infector&#39;s lair (usually an IRC chatroom), there has been a rise recently of keyloggers having a set purpose - The newest purpose is to gain login information of paying accounts on many subscription-based online games, whether its to hijack the account for their own use or clear its goods out completely.

I had a friend who was hacked in this way less than a couple of weeks ago, and I was almost a victim of such an attack a while back (someone posted about an automated trainer, I knew they were being used and I was intrigued so I d/led it to have a look - And found out it had a trojan wrapped around it, designed specifically for this game, to take passwords). The only thing that stopped it happening was that Norton&#39;s Auto-Protect :-"

What the hacker can see depends on what the hacker programs its trojan to read, which in turn depends on the coding ability & desire of the hacker. A novice hacker is unlikely to be able to get as much information as a veteran, but in turn the vet may get less if he hasn&#39;t got the desire for victims&#39; information as the rookie has.

It&#39;s a sad, confusing world :(

tracydani
06-14-2004, 10:17 PM
I was curious because i have read that they can have access to all your files and folders. Then one day at work, the system admin hops on while I am working and takes over :blink:

Took me a minute to figure out what was up, when all of a sudden he opened notepad and started talking to me :lol:

So I thought that maybe that&#39;s what happens when a hacker gets in and browses. I knew they could run things in the background but was curious as to how obvious it is when they are looking around.

Oh, and as a disclaimer... Hello Kitty and Brittany do not have a place on my machine :lol: :lol: (although no matter what you may think about her, I wouldn&#39;t turn her away(Hello Kitty that is:helpsmile: ))

TD