PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor

redemption
06-13-2004, 01:48 PM
i bought 2 maxtor external 40gig hard drives, been using them a while and no probs. now when i want to delete anything off one of the drives (other 1 fine) i keep getting the message file not found make sure filepath/name are correct. the only way i can delete anything is to use nortons wipe tool. does any1 know whats going on or how i can fix it?? thanks in advance.

tesco
06-13-2004, 02:35 PM
try running scandisk\error checking on the drive.

peat moss
06-13-2004, 06:38 PM
You say you have norton wipe tool ,have you ran norton diskdoctor? Check fix all errors.

musicmaster
06-13-2004, 07:47 PM
If you want to delete something and it wont delete using windows.... you can delete using Dos. I dont remember exactly how to do this... but it worked like a charm with me. I think it was 4th Generation Noob, who may have guided me through this. Look him up on here and see if he can help. I will also send him a note and see if he can respond to your post here.

P.S. I would also take the Maxtor drives back if you can and buy only Western Digital from now on. They are the best. Just my personal preference.

tesco
06-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by musicmaster@13 June 2004 - 14:55
If you want to delete something and it wont delete using windows.... you can delete using Dos. I dont remember exactly how to do this... but it worked like a charm with me. I think it was 4th Generation Noob, who may have guided me through this. Look him up on here and see if he can help. I will also send him a note and see if he can respond to your post here.

P.S. I would also take the Maxtor drives back if you can and buy only Western Digital from now on. They are the best. Just my personal preference.
you just go:

start>run>cmd>type 'del driveletter:\filefolder\file.extension'....

musicmaster
06-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+13 June 2004 - 12:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 13 June 2004 - 12:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-musicmaster@13 June 2004 - 14:55
If you want to delete something and it wont delete using windows.... you can delete using Dos.&nbsp; I dont remember exactly how to do this... but it worked like a charm with me.&nbsp; I think it was 4th Generation Noob, who may have guided me through this.&nbsp; Look him up on here and see if he can help.&nbsp; I will also send him a note and see if he can respond to your post here.&nbsp;

P.S.&nbsp; I would also take the Maxtor drives back if you can and buy only Western Digital from now on.&nbsp; They are the best.&nbsp; Just my personal preference.
you just go:

start>run>cmd>type &#39;del driveletter:&#092;filefolder&#092;file.extension&#39;.... [/b][/quote]
Redemption... there ya go. That should work. Try that and see.

Thanks Rossco&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

tesco
06-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by musicmaster+13 June 2004 - 16:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (musicmaster @ 13 June 2004 - 16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@13 June 2004 - 12:47
<!--QuoteBegin-musicmaster@13 June 2004 - 14:55
If you want to delete something and it wont delete using windows.... you can delete using Dos.&nbsp; I dont remember exactly how to do this... but it worked like a charm with me.&nbsp; I think it was 4th Generation Noob, who may have guided me through this.&nbsp; Look him up on here and see if he can help.&nbsp; I will also send him a note and see if he can respond to your post here.&nbsp;

P.S.&nbsp; I would also take the Maxtor drives back if you can and buy only Western Digital from now on.&nbsp; They are the best.&nbsp; Just my personal preference.
you just go:

start>run>cmd>type &#39;del driveletter:&#092;filefolder&#092;file.extension&#39;....
Redemption... there ya go. That should work. Try that and see.

Thanks Rossco&#33;&#33;&#33; :D [/b][/quote]
np :D

redemption
06-14-2004, 11:46 AM
cheers guys the cmd works fine. gna take the drive back tho as its still under waranty. thanks 4 your help yall.

tesco
06-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by redemption@14 June 2004 - 06:54
cheers guys the cmd works fine. gna take the drive back tho as its still under waranty. thanks 4 your help yall.
It doesn&#39;t have to be returned, well it might, but run errorchecking I have had many problems like these and that always fixes it.

musicmaster
06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Glad it worked out. I have had problems like that with my drives... but I dont think it was my "drive" that caused the problem. My guess it was just the OS. I would reconsider next time you buy a Hard Drive, to look into getting Western Digital. They are the best. IMHO of course :P :D B)

tesco
06-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by musicmaster@14 June 2004 - 14:53
Glad it worked out. I have had problems like that with my drives... but I dont think it was my "drive" that caused the problem. My guess it was just the OS. I would reconsider next time you buy a Hard Drive, to look into getting Western Digital. They are the best. IMHO of course :P :D B)
yes i agree there, i have had a few bad experiences with Maxtor, not come into contact with a western digital before, but i installed a seagate into my aunts computer and i like that drive. Very fast and silent.