PDA

View Full Version : What Guitar To Buy?

benxuk
06-15-2004, 06:16 PM
...for a complete beginner?

ps: don't move it to musicworld. :01:

RGX
06-15-2004, 06:19 PM
For a complete begginer a Yamaha Pacifica is a great guitar, thin neck, good tone, pretty cheap. Lots of muscians endorse them. :)

Rat Faced
06-15-2004, 06:20 PM
I think FC was selling his... :unsure:

http://www.bluevisionmusic.com/Trainsongs/Train_Lyrics/graphics/guitar.gif

benxuk
06-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Yeah I looked at Pacifica's - £129 just round the corner from me...

Thats good right?

RGX
06-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by benxuk@15 June 2004 - 18:28
Yeah I looked at Pacifica's - £129 just round the corner from me...

Thats good right?
Yup, very good. Take a guitar playing friend with you or ask the man in store for a demonstration and see if you can get the sound you're after.

benxuk
06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
If only I could make friends with a guitar....

edit: ahh a friend who plays

Virtualbody1234
06-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Please tell me why this shouldn't be moved to Musicworld.

benxuk
06-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Because i'm asking about a guitar... :huh:

internet.news
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by benxuk@15 June 2004 - 19:06
Because i'm asking about a guitar... :huh:
Hardwareworld? :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Because i'm asking about a guitar... http://filesharingtalk.com/html/emoticons/huh.gif

And a guitar isn't for music?

So far it doesn't sound like a good enough reason to me.

Rat Faced
06-15-2004, 07:02 PM
I already spammed it?

:unsure:

benxuk
06-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Well shouldn't you be in software world?

Virtualbody1234
06-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by benxuk@15 June 2004 - 13:17
Well shouldn't you be in software world?
Who me? No.

benxuk
06-15-2004, 07:13 PM
You've spammed my topic :angry:

:01: :smilie4: :music1: :unsure:

internet.news
06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by benxuk@15 June 2004 - 19:21
You've spammed my topic :angry:

:01: :smilie4: :music1: :unsure:
Back to the lounge? :lol:

The Jackel
06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
A guitar message should be moved to music only if you ask how to play it. Just leave it here, whats the big deal. You guys just want ot show of your "power" get over yourself :01:

benxuk
06-15-2004, 07:32 PM
:01: Woo!

B.Helto
06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Read This thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=104937&hl=telecaster)

Afronaut
06-15-2004, 09:44 PM
It depends on what kinda sound you're after.

Yamaha Pasifica is excellent choise for begionners, good value for money.

And so is Ibanez RG series, they decent guitars and with OK pricetag usually.

For more bluesy type of thing, Stratocaster copys, Tokai makes cool good guitars,
or Squier Stratocaster.

The amplifier has lot to do with the sound too.

Tube amps are more expensive but they deliver the Tone.
All these modelling gear thats out there cant quite deliver the sound yet,
they are getting better but they are not perfect.

For digital modelling:
Pandora Box from korg is one that can be good for beginners.
Check out Line6 products, they got some funny boxes.

For the Real Tone, ie. no BS:
Check Peavey, dont go for Transistor amps, they suck usually,
but look for a Tube Amp, thats the deal.
Marhall could be a cool choise, for a combo.
Fender Tube Amps are expensive but good.
Mesa Boogie is Very Expensive, but good too.

It all has to do what kinda sound you're after.
try to deside that first, then it is easier to choose the gear.

Really Good Sound costs a lot of money.
trust me, i got about 6 guitars and several amps.

:cool2:

CrumbCat
06-15-2004, 10:23 PM
There ya go - listen to The Man....he knows.

Great post GS

CrumbCat
http://ee.domaindlx.com/CrumbCat/Images/CrumbCat%20Reviews/trail1.gifhttp://ee.domaindlx.com/CrumbCat/Images/CrumbCat%20Reviews/trail2.gifhttp://ee.domaindlx.com/CrumbCat/Images/CrumbCat%20Reviews/trail3.gifhttp://ee.domaindlx.com/CrumbCat/Images/CrumbCat%20Reviews/trail4.gifhttp://ee.domaindlx.com/CrumbCat/Images/CrumbCat%20Reviews/trail5.gifhttp://ee.domaindlx.com/CrumbCat/Images/CrumbCat%20Reviews/trail6.gif

Randomblonde
06-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Gibson. Always Gibson. Or Epiphones, but they tend not to last long.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@15 June 2004 - 13:28
I think FC was selling his... :unsure:

http://www.bluevisionmusic.com/Trainsongs/Train_Lyrics/graphics/guitar.gif
:lol: :P :lol:

I just now seen this.If there was one instrument I have always wanted to learn it was a banjo.....will admit.

I am sure I have said this before on here.Guess you have to be from Kentucky.Or just love some good Music.

:lol: :P :lol:

Afronaut
06-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Randomblonde@16 June 2004 - 10:01
Gibson. Always Gibson. Or Epiphones, but they tend not to last long.
How many Epiphones have you used ?

Hehe, i quite dont get it.

Usually guitars get better as they get older.

If you mean they dont last "the playing", maybe one should learn to play with care then.
Breaking guitars is a moronic, too many youngster dont have guitars and some
idiot breaks some for visual effect, just too lame.

But yeah, Epiphone Explorer (korina) is something i would get if i was
for that kind of stuff, or better yet, if i was into that Metallica type of sould,
i'd get ESP EX351 (http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/esp/ex351.htm), it has the EMG Active Mics so for some boost, and it is not so expensive as
those Hetfiel or Hammet models.

I dont think i'll ever buy Gibson though, they are not bad guitars,
just too expensive and i have pretty much used all the cash i will for guitars.

If there is a band that you like the guitar sound, check what gear they use,
buy a guitar with similar woods and mics, you'll get closer to the sound.
It dont have to be exact same shape thought. Wood, Mics and Amp is
the thing to check.

B.Helto
06-16-2004, 03:09 PM
I have few Gibsons (a 1968 ES-300 and a LP Lr.), but I wouldn't buy one today. They're terribly overpriced and lately are being marketed towards rich middle-age people (kinda like the Harley-Davidson of guitars).

Epiphones are good guitars (I have an Epi SG and an acoustic) though you may need to upgrade the pickups later on (lots of aftermarket choices).

If I had to start over again from scratch - and had a limited budget - I would probably go with a Squier Tele. They look, play and sound amazing, very close to their high-end counterparts. Check one out if you get the chance.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/519619.jpg
^^^^^^ :rolleyes:

benxuk
06-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Thankya' so you'd recommend a Squier Tele over Yam' Pacifica?

Perhaps you people could provide a sound bite for me?

"Smoke on the water" I expect everybody can play that...

:01:

musicmaster
06-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I hope this helps finding/buying a new guitar as a beginner.

Also if you are an accomplished guitarist as well, you should know these things when looking for an instrument.

These are just a few pointers to help you off to a good start. These are obviously for acoustic guitars as you didnt mention whether you wanted electri or acoustic. If you do want electric, you can bypass the next paragraph and continue.

One of the first things you want to know about the guitar you are considering is whether it has a solid-top or a laminated-top. (The "top" is the face of the guitar, the surface that has the soundhole in it.) Solid-tops are the only choice for the best guitars, but a laminated-top can be sufficient for beginners. If you do buy a laminated-top guitar, you shouldn't pay much over $150 for it, since adequate used solid-tops can be found for $200-$300, and good new solid-tops start at around $300.

Try to get help from an experienced guitarist, maybe a friend or your teacher. Bring someone with you if possible who has years of experience with guitars.

An experienced guitarist will be able to check the guitar for:

1. Playability: making sure the strings are the right distance from the fingerboard, the neck is not warped, the frets are ok, and the guitar is balanced.

2. Intonation: that it plays in tune.

3. Tone: that it makes a fairly normal sound.

4: Structural integrity: that it's not coming apart at the seams!

Finally, get a case for the guitar. Hardshell cases start at around $100. Softshell cases (cardboard) are less expensive, but provide little more than scratch-protection. If you get a solid-top guitar, get a hardshell case.

As for electrics, you can buy a number of different makes and models. I am in California and we have Guitar Center and Sam Ash here.... so they always have large selections and great deals. You can always go on Ebay as well... but that is not really recommended unless you dont care what you buy. Play a number of guitars in different amps in the store, and take notes as to what sound you like with each guitar in each amp. That is the best way to choose. You usuually can find a decent beginner guitar for around $150.00 US... but the more money usually spent, the better the quality.... USUALLY!!!

Good luck!!

By the way..... Take Slinger's advice as well. He is a fretboard master :)

B.Helto
06-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by benxuk@16 June 2004 - 13:34
...so you'd recommend a Squier Tele over Yam' Pacifica?
I prefer Fenders - they have that "classic" sound - but you may be looking for a more modern sound. Yamahas are very popular, just not my bag.

I recommend checking out a lot of both. Find your nearest GC or Sam Ash store (or better yet - a locally owned guitar shop) and spend some time checking everything out (my favorite waste of time BTW).

If you feel funny about playing due to lack of chops (you said you were just starting) just have a listen to what other people are playing. It will give you a realistic idea of what to expect from different guitar types.

Also, to echo Slinger's advise: do a little investigation into what your favorite guitarists are playing (hollow or solid body, humbucker or single coil pickups etc.). Your ideal guitar will find you. ;)

RGX
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (about to get it fitted with Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II humbuckers) as my main guitar and its very nice indeed, bit pricey for a complete beginners guitar though.

All suggestions made so far have been great. :)

Afronaut
06-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by benxuk@16 June 2004 - 20:34
Thankya' so you'd recommend a Squier Tele over Yam' Pacifica?

Perhaps you people could provide a sound bite for me?

"Smoke on the water" I expect everybody can play that...

:01:
I got my own music shared at SoulSeek.

Im willing to share my own made music and teh live videos and whatnot over there.

I dont use Kazaa Lite etc no more, or IRC, or else,
SoulSeek is teh Shizznizzlez for this kinda stuff.

;)

Anyone here is welcome to check my shares, specially players. (and chicks)

:)

A lot of Great Posts here.
Nice stuff to read folks.

B)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
06-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@16 June 2004 - 17:39
SoulSeek is teh Shizznizzlez
:lol:

I want to hear you say that.

:P

Afronaut
06-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+16 June 2004 - 23:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 16 June 2004 - 23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guitar&#045;Slinger@16 June 2004 - 17:39
SoulSeek is teh Shizznizzlez
:lol:

I want to hear you say that.

:P [/b][/quote]
Ok, but its getting late here, i gotta do that tomorrow...

Been a busy day here.

Dark Ride
06-29-2004, 11:39 PM
I&#39;m sure he apriciated all your replys ppl.

But personaly I think he came to the wrong place to ask about guitars.He should go to a message board about music gear , instruments and stuff.And ask people that are more expirienced and know what&#39;s good for beginners.

Anyway, if this is going to be your first guitar, buy an acoustic guitar.If you are realy interested in playing guitar you should do it right , from the beginning.

Learn the basics (chords , mostly) on the acoustic guitar.Then , when you are ready for an e-guitar , go and buy one.

That&#39;s not only my opinion.Almost every true artist/guitarist will tell you the same.

This is not offensive.I&#39;m not telling that you all don&#39;t know anything about guitars.I have many musicians in my family.I kinda grew up with the music, and learned much about it.

And from what I can tell, is to start with an acoustic guitar.

That&#39;s all for now ... bye

Prodigy Girl
07-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Definitely something that is comfortable and not too much of a pain to hold and play. ;)

I tried learning on a a jumbo folk w/ steel strings and no pick. And my instructor didn&#39;t help matters-- he didn&#39;t bother explaining to me that I was practicing in the wrong manner. Oh, the pain I experienced&#33; :o

lee551
07-01-2004, 03:44 AM
my first geetar was a squier strat. it has treated me good and i still pick &#39;er up once & awhile.

ibanez also makes some good starter guitars.

here&#39;s (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040630195400069026008065553498/g=guitar/search/c=6243) a list of starter packages that musiciansfriend.com sells. B)

Randomblonde
07-01-2004, 11:23 AM
kinda replied without hearing the question. I&#39;ll try again.
(INCIDENTALLY, I don&#39;t mistreat my guitars, I&#39;ve had two epiphones before and their hardware fucks up after a while. Maybe I&#39;m just unlucky)

Squiers are fine. But since I have an irrational distrust of anything fender....

Gibson Studios are nice, and cheap (for gibsons) the ones ive seen in my corner of the world are approx &#036;800. (Australian dollars) Clean sound and low action, but usually somewhat heavy.

And look out for the Gretsch Synchromatics, really sexy guitar, thin neck and substantial enough so you don&#39;t feel like your playing a toy (my thing against stratocasters).

And Danelectros are fun. Dave Navarro guitars. But kinda odd looking, 50s guitars. Somewhat novelty.

I don&#39;t remember who said it before, but learning on an acoustic first is always a good idea. But dear GOD, stay away from the steel strings, start with nylon THEN graduate to steel once your fingers are up to it. An even better idea is the Classical guitar, good for technique, but really thicknecked so more for solo stuff than chords. But gorgeous, gorgeous sound.

lee551
07-01-2004, 07:07 PM
i dont think beginners should buy gibsons... :lol: unless you&#39;re rich.

Afronaut
07-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by lee551@1 July 2004 - 20:15

Epiphone (http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=21&CollectionID=3).

lee551
07-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Guitar&#045;Slinger+1 July 2004 - 23:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guitar-Slinger @ 1 July 2004 - 23:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lee551@1 July 2004 - 20:15

:) [/b][/quote]
a great cheap alternative to gibson B)

n18
07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
if im left handed i need a left handed guitar?

Afronaut
07-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by n18@2 July 2004 - 00:51
if im left handed i need a left handed guitar?
Not really.

Left Handed guitars are a bit more expensive,
so if i was a noob for guitar i would atleast
give the Right Handed guitars a go.

You&#39;d probably find out which way your hands
works better on it after some time.

B.Helto
07-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Guitar&#045;Slinger@1 July 2004 - 17:19

My son got a Epi G-400 a few years ago. Still very happy with it. Great action & tone.

Danimal
07-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Yes, starting out with a Gibson wouldnt be the wisest idea. For one, they are really expensive, two, you dont know if youre gonna stick with playing the guitar. If you&#39;re in to playing guitar for the long run, buy an acoustic. The action is higher, and its harder to play, but once you get that down, playing an electric will be just gravy.