PDA

View Full Version : A Drive Makin Noise

Expire
06-15-2004, 06:17 PM
is is normal 4 ur A drive to make an irrataiting noies if u try to exit a program when a document is open that came from the floopy but isent in the drive any more?
and then shuts up when u put the floppy back in.

also u cant shut the progrm in task manager or anything, i start to get error reports being made and all kinds of shit until u feed the pc its floppy ;)

surely this cant be normal...can it?

lynx
06-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Yup.

Obviously it depends on the program whether it keeps the file open on the floppy drive, but assuming that's what is happening the behaviour you describe is quite normal.

The drive is positioning the head on track zero to find out what disk you've got in. If you haven't got a disk in the drive it assumes that it hasn't positioned properly so it tries to move the head back a little further and comes up against the stop, and that's the strange noise you hear.

Expire
06-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by lynx@15 June 2004 - 18:45
Yup.

Obviously it depends on the program whether it keeps the file open on the floppy drive, but assuming that's what is happening the behaviour you describe is quite normal.

The drive is positioning the head on track zero to find out what disk you've got in. If you haven't got a disk in the drive it assumes that it hasn't positioned properly so it tries to move the head back a little further and comes up against the stop, and that's the strange noise you hear.
sounded like it was going to blow :D
k cheers

Spicker
06-15-2004, 07:35 PM
#99999999999 reason to take ur floppy drive out :lol: :lol: ;)

tesco
06-15-2004, 09:05 PM
ya floppy drives are crap.

slow, unreliable to fuck, small capacity, noisy, fragile, etc.

peat moss
06-16-2004, 02:08 AM
If you don't ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile." I still like them myself for the fdisk option when reinstalling.

tesco
06-16-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@15 June 2004 - 21:16
If you don't ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile." I still like them myself for the fdisk option when reinstalling.
XP has it all built into the installation, or you could put that stuff on a cd... :)

peat moss
06-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+15 June 2004 - 18:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 15 June 2004 - 18:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss@15 June 2004 - 21:16
If you don&#39;t ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile."&nbsp; I still like them myself for&nbsp; the fdisk&nbsp; option when reinstalling.
XP has it all built into the installation, or you could put that stuff on a cd... :) [/b][/quote]
@rossco Yes, but I&#39;m a dinosour , like the floppy. :lol: I use The Ulitimate boot disk as well . I just feal more comfortable using a dos based program, thats how I first learned computers.

tesco
06-16-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by peat moss+15 June 2004 - 21:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 15 June 2004 - 21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@15 June 2004 - 18:20
<!--QuoteBegin-peat moss@15 June 2004 - 21:16
If you don&#39;t ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile."&nbsp; I still like them myself for&nbsp; the fdisk&nbsp; option when reinstalling.
XP has it all built into the installation, or you could put that stuff on a cd... :)
@rossco Yes, but I&#39;m a dinosour , like the floppy. :lol: I use The Ulitimate boot disk as well . I just feal more comfortable using a dos based program, thats how I first learned computers. [/b][/quote]
lol alrighty, i hate dos personally, don&#39;t like that there are no icons, and in long lists of stuff on a cd u can&#39;t see what all the files are called (problem is no scrolling lol).

don&#39;t like dos.

peat moss
06-16-2004, 02:41 AM
@ROSSCO but type DIR there you go ,or delete a program REM it . Or deltree :)

tesco
06-16-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@15 June 2004 - 21:49
@ROSSCO but type DIR there you go ,or delete a program REM it . Or deltree :)
I know the commands, i also know the extensions for the dir command.

but say u have a cd that has 50 files on it that start with say N, and u can&#39;t remember what the file you are looking for is called, so you type in dir N or something liek that (can&#39;t remember at teh moment lol, once i get in there it will all come back to me) so then it is showing 50 results, oonly 25 per page thoough, so once you&#39;ve looked at those 25, and it isn&#39;t one of them, how do u look at the other 25? <_<

lynx
06-16-2004, 07:20 AM
/p

FlyingDutchman
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
or dir n*.* | more

Hell, can&#39;t beat DOS. You can do it differently, but you can&#39;t beat it

clocker
06-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@15 June 2004 - 14:13

Yup, that&#39;s what I thought too.
Since I first built Sprocket last August she&#39;s gone through many,many changes...none of which included a floppy drive.

Then, last week, I wanted to install SATA drives and guess what?
You pretty much have to have a floppy.
The drivers come on a floppy disk and Windows is very adamant about searching drive A: for them.
Won&#39;t even consider a CD.
I believe that this is called "legacy boneheadedness".

Unfortunately for me, not only did I not even possess a floppy drive, but I had spent considerable time modding my floppy bay to accept my HDD and certainly didn&#39;t feel like ditching all my fine work.
A used floppy was procured from my PC shop buddies ( cost= zero...you gotta love that&#33;) and I then spent the next few hours mounting the drive and running the necessary power/IDE (?) cables so as not to ruin my general layout.
Turned out pretty cool actually and was an interesting exercise in fabrication.
Pics will show up when my camera returns from it&#39;s peregrinations.

Storm
06-16-2004, 01:15 PM
ive got an old AMD 200MHz PC with floppydrive.......

my new comp has a black case, so that yellow (i think it used to be white) floppy drive wouldnt really fit color wise...........

but hey, a LAN card is cheaper than a floppy drive, so 3 guesses what my solution is :P

wouldnt work for the stuff it needs the A drive for, but you can always assign the A drive to a CD drive is ya really want......

tesco
06-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by clocker+16 June 2004 - 08:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 16 June 2004 - 08:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@15 June 2004 - 14:13

Yup, that&#39;s what I thought too.
Since I first built Sprocket last August she&#39;s gone through many,many changes...none of which included a floppy drive.

Then, last week, I wanted to install SATA drives and guess what?
You pretty much have to have a floppy.
The drivers come on a floppy disk and Windows is very adamant about searching drive A: for them.
Won&#39;t even consider a CD.
I believe that this is called "legacy boneheadedness".

Unfortunately for me, not only did I not even possess a floppy drive, but I had spent considerable time modding my floppy bay to accept my HDD and certainly didn&#39;t feel like ditching all my fine work.
A used floppy was procured from my PC shop buddies ( cost= zero...you gotta love that&#33;) and I then spent the next few hours mounting the drive and running the necessary power/IDE (?) cables so as not to ruin my general layout.
Turned out pretty cool actually and was an interesting exercise in fabrication.
Pics will show up when my camera returns from it&#39;s peregrinations. [/b][/quote]
You could have just left it hanging inside the computer as you used it that one time, then unhook it after your done. Saves a lot of work ;)

another thing you could have done, but ofcourse this does not work for the installation of windows lol, is to download the drivers...

anyway, by the time i get a sata drive and motherboard they will probably have fixed teh floppy drive only problem.