PDA

View Full Version : Cd-rom Drivers Missing

atiVidia
06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
after my e:\windows\system32\config\system file corrupted for no reason, i replaced it, and everythings back to normal...

cept for the fact that windows believes its OWN CD-ROM drivers are corrupt...

wtf? some help here please... where can i get a copy of windows' DEFAULT cd-rom drivers?

Ariel_001
06-15-2004, 09:09 PM
It sounds like you replaced it with older version.

Maybe try removing it from the device manger then hit refresh.

tesco
06-15-2004, 09:15 PM
uninstall the driver, then scan for new devices and let it auto-install.

If that doesn't work, then i dunno....maybe try start>run>'sfc /scannow' ?

Chewie
06-15-2004, 09:39 PM
The trick always used to be...
- Remove the device in Safe Mode (not normally possible with CDROMs but you can in XP)
- Shut down and unplug device.
- Boot into Windows.
- Shut down and plug device in again.
- Boot into Windows and watch is install the drivers afresh.

atiVidia
06-16-2004, 12:07 AM
well thx for the help but i f__ked up my comp even more :(

now it cant see my gfx card, and it screwed over my stable copy of longhorn :(

oh well, chewie ill try ur little safemode trick, as its a last resort.

also, i will try installing the nvidia drivers in safemode (windows is using the vga.sys driver in regular boot :huh:)

if all else fails, then im not gonna deal with XP. ill reinstall longhorn and stabilize it the way i did last time :)

peat moss
06-16-2004, 01:56 AM
@atiVidia , Friend sounds like you have more problems than just cd -rom drivers. I read your last few post . Why not just reformat and reinstall? Probably easier in the long run.

tesco
06-16-2004, 02:07 AM
Ya, i agree, just format your two windows partitions, combine them using like fdisk or something, then instlal longhorn onto it.

atiVidia
06-16-2004, 02:35 AM
im using longhorn right now, and im planning on making it my default OS. ill move the rest of my stuff over to another partition, and kill my E partition

or... i can try copying the Drivers folder into my semi-dead XP, and see if that helps (i installed another copy of XP using the nvidia drivers, etc. and i mite be able to copy that into the dead XP...)

oh well... longhorn runs fine :P