PDA

View Full Version : Cd Drive Isnt Reading The Frkn Cd's

Dray_04
06-17-2004, 12:27 PM
OK the cdrw/dvd drive was reading cds perfectly a while ago, this was before i updated windows xp to the max, installed graphic card drivers, mobo drivers the works!!!

Now it appears that the cdrw/dvd drive doesnt want to read cds at all anymore.

Why has this happened? Sorry if this sounds really nooby but i have tried all the obvious options...

and yeah i did a search but i didnt find much..

thanks alot

:cool2:

P.S Specs are down below

lynx
06-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Not reading media? Or the drive is not recognised?

I had a problem with a cd filter called cdr4-2k (or something like that). It is a direct-cd driver from Roxio. I've never had Roxio installed on my pc, but I still got that PoS screwing my drive, so it must have come with a windows update.

That was on Win2k, and only screwed my DVD-RW after a firmware update, so I can't guarantee you've got the same problem or that the filename will be the same for XP.

Dray_04
06-17-2004, 12:55 PM
im not to sure if its the same filename but it does sound like your problem is similar to mine (or was your problem)

so how can i fix this? It mustv stuffed up my cd drive when i installed a XP update.

my computer recognises the drive.... the drive itself just doesnt recognise the cds that i put in it lol :frusty:

tesco
06-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Hmm the only windows update I can think of relating to the cd drive would be the HiMat support (i think that is how u spell it), i never installed it becuase i have no use for it. Try going to addd\remove programs and uninstalling that.

Dray_04
06-17-2004, 01:12 PM
:frusty: damnit that didnt work :huh:

grr :angry:

tesco
06-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Dray_04@17 June 2004 - 08:20

I'm sorry :(

lol, umm, try going to device manager, right click the drive, uninstall, then restart and let it install again.

edit: just thought of a new idea. This will see if it is hardware or software related. Put in your windows xp cd, restart computer, make sure motherboard is set to boot fomr cd, then see if it boots to the cd. if not it's hardware related, if it does then it is software.

lynx
06-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+17 June 2004 - 16:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 17 June 2004 - 16:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dray_04@17 June 2004 - 08:20

I&#39;m sorry :(

lol, umm, try going to device manager, right click the drive, uninstall, then restart and let it install again.

edit: just thought of a new idea. This will see if it is hardware or software related. Put in your windows xp cd, restart computer, make sure motherboard is set to boot fomr cd, then see if it boots to the cd. if not it&#39;s hardware related, if it does then it is software. [/b][/quote]
Good point, we haven&#39;t ruled out an actual hardware error yet.

If we can rule that out, we can send him off to Softwareworld. :D

I don&#39;t think we&#39;ll hear anything for a bit anyway, it&#39;s still dark in NZ.

keyser_soze
06-17-2004, 11:38 PM
:rolleyes: Sounds familiar this :D

BTW
I had a problem with a cd filter called cdr4-2k (or something like that). It is a direct-cd driver from Roxio. I&#39;ve never had Roxio installed on my pc,
The built in software for burning cd&#39;s with windows xp is made by roxio so thats maybe where the driver came from.

Dray_04
06-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by keyser_soze@18 June 2004 - 11:46
:rolleyes: Sounds familiar this :D

BTW
I had a problem with a cd filter called cdr4-2k (or something like that). It is a direct-cd driver from Roxio. I&#39;ve never had Roxio installed on my pc,
The built in software for burning cd&#39;s with windows xp is made by roxio so thats maybe where the driver came from.
so u saying i should download some drivers from roxio? :huh:

Dray_04
06-17-2004, 11:45 PM
i tried your theory ross but that didnt work.... (the device manager one)

im gonna try that boot to XP one soon.

but i have a question.... how the hell do i find out what my cd drive is called without taking it out?

i have aida32....

lynx
06-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Do the install cd test first. You don&#39;t need to install, simply get to the point where it asks you whether to install or repair.

If that doesn&#39;t work simply take it back, there&#39;s no point in wasting both your and our time if the drive is faulty.

Dray_04
06-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by lynx@18 June 2004 - 12:26
Do the install cd test first. You don&#39;t need to install, simply get to the point where it asks you whether to install or repair.

If that doesn&#39;t work simply take it back, there&#39;s no point in wasting both your and our time if the drive is faulty.
:frusty: it cant be faulty because it was working before i updated windows...

there must be an update which overrides the firmware of the CDRW or sumthing stupid like that.

Surely some1 else has had this problem before...

1) new setup
2) update drivers and windows updates
3) suddenly cdrw drive doesnt want to read disks nemore. (i insert a cd, and double click the drive... and it sez "there is no cd in the drive"

:frusty:

tesco
06-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Dray_04+17 June 2004 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dray_04 @ 17 June 2004 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@18 June 2004 - 12:26

:frusty: it cant be faulty because it was working before i updated windows...

there must be an update which overrides the firmware of the CDRW or sumthing stupid like that.

Surely some1 else has had this problem before...

1) new setup
2) update drivers and windows updates
3) suddenly cdrw drive doesnt want to read disks nemore. (i insert a cd, and double click the drive... and it sez "there is no cd in the drive"

:frusty: [/b][/quote]
Just try the boot disc idea, see if it works, if it does then we will be CERTAIN that this is software related, and not hardware. And if it doesn&#39;t work, then we know it is a faulty cd drive again (lol) and you should return it.

just try it :rolleyes:

peat moss
06-18-2004, 01:53 AM
What does it say in Deivce manager? Can you not rollback drivers?

tesco
06-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Oh ya, and to find out what ur drive is called, look in device manager under cd&#092;dvd drives and see what the model name for yours is. THen you can search that in google with firmware on teh end to find updates.

If device manager for some reason doesn&#39;t say it, aida32 should somewhere.

Dray_04
06-18-2004, 02:30 AM
yeah i no what it is.

its a BTX Top-G

whateva the f*&&#036; that is&#33;

BCO 52161M

I have found and downloaded the firmware for it.... but im all sceptical about flashing the drive with DOS...

...i really dont want to stuff it up, ....as iv only had it for 1 day lol.

tesco
06-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Dray_04@17 June 2004 - 21:38
yeah i no what it is.

its a BTX Top-G

whateva the f*&&#036; that is&#33;

BCO 52161M

I have found and downloaded the firmware for it.... but im all sceptical about flashing the drive with DOS...

...i really dont want to stuff it up, ....as iv only had it for 1 day lol.
well, it is already stuffed up, so u might as well?

(after trying my suggestion from before <_< ) :lol:

Dray_04
06-18-2004, 01:32 PM
I tried updating using firmware from driverguide (http://www.driverguide.com) but following the directions nothing happened

>I made a DOS boot disk
>I extracted the firmware to a disk
>booted into DOS
>typed in "FL 3" and nothing happened

Im guessing i did something wrong.

Also nothing happened when i selected the drive as 1st boot in BIOS (with Mic Corp Pro cd inserted)

please help me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :frusty:

lynx
06-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dray_04@18 June 2004 - 13:40
Also nothing happened when i selected the drive as 1st boot in BIOS (with Mic Corp Pro cd inserted)

please help me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :frusty:
Sounds like the drive is stuffed.

Take it back.

keyser_soze
06-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I might be wrong here but if u update the firmware I&#39;m not sure u can go back, I think it actually changes something with the drive, the reason I think this is that Iupdated my firmware for my dvd-rw drive and when I uninstalled then reinstalled it on another ide it still had the same firmware version, although this might be wrong I&#39;m just going off my own experiance.