PDA

View Full Version : Dual Channel Mem Question...

trillscout
06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
If you buy and use 2 of the same mem sticks(512 pc3200) is that considered dual channel?

or do you have to buy the ram that states that it's dual channel?

This is for A7N8X mobo btw.

tesco
06-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Ya usually they will work, as long as they can both run at teh same CAS latency as well as speed and amount being the same.

"Dual channel ram" is guaranteed to work together.

clocker
06-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Ross, Ross, Ross,

Whatever are you thinking?
"Dual Channel" refers to a technology implemented by the motherboard, not the RAM chips.
If your board supports it ( and yours does, I believe) dual channel refers to the way the CPU ( through the northbridge, I think) can access multiple addresses in the memory simultaneously.

To make it work, your RAM has to be inserted in the proper DIMM slots...check your manual.

Dray_04
06-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by clocker@18 June 2004 - 12:00
Ross, Ross, Ross,

"Dual Channel" refers to a technology implemented by the motherboard, not the RAM chips.
If your board supports it ( and yours does, I believe) dual channel refers to the way the CPU ( through the northbridge, I think) can access multiple addresses in the memory simultaneously.

To make it work, your RAM has to be inserted in the proper DIMM slots...check your manual.
good point.

Does Dual Channel Memory run "better" or run applications better than just normal channel memory?

clocker
06-18-2004, 12:17 AM
An interesting question, Dray.
One that I am currently in the middle of.
My NF7-S board's manual claims that in order to implement dual-channel memory the sticks should be placed in the slots starting with #3 and working back.

Testing by others ( apparently confirmed by ABIT) has shown that this wrong.

I can tell no difference at all.

lynx
06-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Asus boards tell you when they are in dual channel mode (at boot time).

Having said that, I haven't seen much improvement in performance between dual channel mode over single channel mode.

If what clocker says is correct, perhaps the configuration on asus boards is also wrong. I've a good mind to try all the variations (there are only three) and see which performs best.

clocker
06-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by lynx@17 June 2004 - 17:33
Asus boards tell you when they are in dual channel mode (at boot time).

If what clocker says is correct, perhaps the configuration on asus boards is also wrong. I've a good mind to try all the variations (there are only three) and see which performs best.
What do you mean, "if"? :P

Both of the RAM configurations that I've tried so far show as dual channel at boot.
No significant difference running memstat, memtest or Prime 95.

Maybe it's all hooey.

Virtualbody1234
06-18-2004, 01:20 AM
I have similar result myself. When the RAM is inserted into the correct slots it shows "Dual Channel Mode" at bootup (Gigabyte board). I haven't been able to detect a difference either.

tesco
06-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by clocker@17 June 2004 - 19:00
Ross, Ross, Ross,

:"> I thought that the ram chips had to be exactly the same? forgot where i heard\read that, but i thought it was true. :(

So any mix of chips will work? :unsure:

clocker
06-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@17 June 2004 - 19:11

:"> I thought that the ram chips had to be exactly the same? forgot where i heard\read that, but i thought it was true. :(

So any mix of chips will work? :unsure:
Look at his original question, Ross.

If you buy and use 2 of the same mem sticks(512 pc3200) is that considered dual channel?

The answer to that is obviously "No".
That is considered having 1 GB of RAM.
Unless the motherboard is built with dual channel functionality then no amount ( or type) of RAM will make it so.

See?

kaiweiler
06-18-2004, 02:30 AM
and another fact, the two sticks of ram do not even have to be the same!
for example, one stick of 256mb PC2700 will be able to run dual channel with one stick of 256mb PC3200, completley different brands and different speeds. this is providing your motherboard supports dual channel
however if you have two different speeds, your ram will likley run at the slower of the two speeds
in no way do they have to be exactly the same though <_<

tesco
06-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@17 June 2004 - 21:38
and another fact, the two sticks of ram do not even have to be the same&#33;
for example, one stick of 256mb PC2700 will be able to run dual channel with one stick of 256mb PC3200, completley different brands and different speeds. this is providing your motherboard supports dual channel
however if you have two different speeds, your ram will likley run at the slower of the two speeds
in no way do they have to be exactly the same though <_<
thanks kai, that was what i meant. Not sure what&#092;who my sources were for what i thought, but if i remember ill be having a chat with them... :unsure:

clocker
06-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@17 June 2004 - 19:51

thanks kai, that was what i meant. Not sure what&#092;who my sources were for what i thought, but if i remember ill be having a chat with them... :unsure:
Quite so.
They definitely lose their membership in the Mr. Wizard&#39;s Future Scientists of America Club.

Death would be an appropriate punishment for spreading inaccurate information so cavalierly.

kaiweiler
06-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+17 June 2004 - 22:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 17 June 2004 - 22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@17 June 2004 - 21:38
and another fact, the two sticks of ram do not even have to be the same&#33;
in no way do they have to be exactly the same though&nbsp; <_<
thanks kai, that was what i meant. Not sure what&#092;who my sources were for what i thought, but if i remember ill be having a chat with them... :unsure: [/b][/quote]
NP, glad I could straighten things out.
Definatly have a talk with that less knowledgable young human being that deserves to be punished for his lack of intelligence&#33;

tesco
06-18-2004, 03:04 AM
haha, man that came out wrong.

meant it like, i&#39;d be telling them how it really works so that they know, not i&#39;d tell them off :lol:

anyway. ;)

clocker
06-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Oh go ahead and kill them.

You know you wanna.