PDA

View Full Version : 4 Browsers And None Of Them Can Access Yahoo Mail

kennyboy
06-18-2004, 11:26 PM
I have 4 browsers, IE6.0, Firefox 0.9, MyIE2, and Opera 7.2.
None of them are able to access Yahoo Mail or Hotmail. They all give me a message saying they are not compatable with the current version.

To me it seems that the problem is not with the browsers, but somewhere in my system.
Strangely, MSN Messenger CAN access Hotmail.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I should look for the problem please, as I have no idea what to do.
Many Thanks.

Kenny

delphin460
06-19-2004, 02:09 AM
go to control panel / internet options / security

click on all 4 icons and inturn click default level

see if that helps

kennyboy
06-19-2004, 02:26 AM
go to control panel / internet options / security

click on all 4 icons and inturn click default level

see if that helps

Done that. No difference.

Thanks anyway.

3rd gen noob
06-19-2004, 02:33 AM
IE 6.0, myIE2, Firefox 0.8 are capable of accessing Yahoo mail and Hotmail. I'm 99% sure Opera is too. I suspect the problem here is between the monitor and the chairback

kennyboy
06-19-2004, 04:52 AM
IE 6.0, myIE2, Firefox 0.8 are capable of accessing Yahoo mail and Hotmail. I'm 99% sure Opera is too. I suspect the problem here is between the monitor and the chairback

Yes I KNOW they are all capable of accessing Yahoo and Hotmail. They have done for the last few years thankyou. But they ARE NOT capable of doing it now on my machine!!!!

Now, any SENSIBLE suggestions?

hungrylilboy
06-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@19 June 2004 - 02:41
:D i only just got that.

have u scanned for virus and adware etc? and also in ur good/bad sites and host file to make sure nothing has been put in there that could stop u connecting to them

BawA
06-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Cheak if ur cookies r enabled

dopey
06-19-2004, 07:53 AM
are you using some filtering software to hide the browser details? this was happening to me too.

try disabling that feature.

cheers.

kennyboy
06-19-2004, 10:16 AM
yes, scanned for virus, used Ad-aware and spybot, cookies are enabled and no filtering software in use.

Really strange because otherwise all the browsers are working properly. Able to access all sites except these 2 mail sites. Is there something special about these sites that needs something else enabled? Not sure about the hosts file. Cant open it!
Getting to the point where I will have to re-install XP if I can't solve the problem as most of my email comes in on Yahoo and Hotmail.
Can't understand why it is telling me that my browser (all of them) is not compatable and to upgrade to IE6.0 when I already have it. Anyway, ALL of these browsers can open these pages, so it must be something in the system ....but what?

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far. Will try anything if you have any more suggestions.

Chewie
06-19-2004, 11:03 AM
This problem is normally down to a firewall blocking the browser version being sent to the site; because the site doesn't get given a version that it recognises as compatible, it assumes the browser being used is not and produces a 'not compatible' page.
If you have a firewall running, disable it and try to access the sites; if you can then get in, you've got to cofigure the firewall to allow that sort of communication for those sites.

kennyboy
06-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Chewie.

I found the problem about 5 mins before you posted. :) Yes you are right.

It was a stealth browsing setting in the firewall that was causing it. It didnt affect the old Yahoo version, but of course they have changed their format in the last few days, and obviously it is different.

Many thanks for you trouble anyway, and to all others who helped.

Regards

Kenny

musicmaster
06-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@18 June 2004 - 18:41
Bad suggestion Noob. I ream people new assholes for giving shite responses like that. But I will cut you slack, because of where you live. The air is a bit shall I say, wet!!!!! ;) :lol: :D :P B)

musicmaster
06-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by kennyboy@19 June 2004 - 03:40
Chewie.

I found the problem about 5 mins before you posted. :) Yes you are right.

It was a stealth browsing setting in the firewall that was causing it. It didnt affect the old Yahoo version, but of course they have changed their format in the last few days, and obviously it is different.

Many thanks for you trouble anyway, and to all others who helped.

Regards

Kenny
Kenny... if you are using ZA as your firewall... try and remove that and use Sygate instead. I had lots of probs with ZA as not being able to access the board at all, or very irregularly. Anyhow I am glad your prob. is fixed.

Cheers

kennyboy
06-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Musicmaster.

Very kind of you. Sygate sounds a better deal for me.

Regards

3rd gen noob
06-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by musicmaster+20 June 2004 - 05:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (musicmaster &#064; 20 June 2004 - 05:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-3rd gen noob@18 June 2004 - 18:41
IE 6.0, myIE2, Firefox 0.8 are capable of accessing Yahoo mail and Hotmail. I&#39;m 99% sure Opera is too. I suspect the problem here is between the monitor and the chairback
Bad suggestion Noob. I ream people new assholes for giving shite responses like that. But I will cut you slack, because of where you live. The air is a bit shall I say, wet&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; ;) :lol: :D :P B)[/b][/quote]
Actually, if you re-read the original post, you&#39;ll see that my reply was correcting an inaccuracy. The original poster says, and I quote:

I have 4 browsers, IE6.0, Firefox 0.9, MyIE2, and Opera 7.2.
None of them are able to access Yahoo Mail or Hotmail

Which is blatantly incorrect. Hence, my post, and again I quote:

IE 6.0, myIE2, Firefox 0.8 are capable of accessing Yahoo mail and Hotmail. I&#39;m 99% sure Opera is too

Simply correcting an inaccuracy :)

:P

musicmaster
06-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Noob... you are one hell of an inaccuracy correction artist &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Cheers buddy.