PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Paging File

S!X
06-19-2004, 06:43 AM
ive heard that having a smaller paging file is better than bigger but ide like to clarify that. Also, ide like if someone could tell me the optimal page file settings, ive got 512 ram . my current settings are Initial Size(MB): 768 Maximum Size(MB): 1536 :helpsmile:

haha21
06-19-2004, 07:52 AM
you know what I've asked the same problem...
Just put 330 - 600 and press set.

lynx
06-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Best option is to keep it at a constant size, so set minimum and maximum to the same value. It isn't particularly the size that causes problems, but the CHANGE in the size, and fragmentation of the page file. With 512mb memory, 768 is a good size to set.

If you've got more than one drive, your page file should ideally be on a different drive from your system. But what a lot of people neglect to do is to defrag the drive before moving the page file. If you defrag first, then set up the new page file with max & min sizes equal you are much less likely to have a fragmented page file.

If you've only got one drive, defrag it, set the system to have NO page file, reboot, defrag again, then set up the new page file.

tesco
06-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I recoemnd just 300mb minimum, 300mb maximum....it's worked fine for me on all of my computers.

clocker
06-19-2004, 05:16 PM
I have read several contradictory theories of how big the page file should be, from none at all to 2.5 times the amount of system RAM.

I have tried them all and can't say that I can see a difference.

Lynx's advice seems the most logical and safest method to use.
Depending on the size of your HDD ( how much space are you willing to allocate?), you can try any of the recommended pagefile sizes and see what happens.

I have read that certain programs ( Adobe Photoshop was the example, I believe) can be very aggressive upon opening and like to grab as much memory as they can.
They will complain/ perform poorly if you have a minimal PF space.
I don't know.

Since I have a rather large and uncluttered HDD, I just made a separate pagefile partition and set it's size ( fixed, as Lynx suggested) to 2.5 times my RAM (1GB).
No issues with this arrangement, and I have so many other things to worry about that I just stopped paying it any mind.

tesco
06-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by clocker@19 June 2004 - 12:24
I have read several contradictory theories of how big the page file should be, from none at all to 2.5 times the amount of system RAM.

I have tried them all and can't say that I can see a difference.

Lynx's advice seems the most logical and safest method to use.
Depending on the size of your HDD ( how much space are you willing to allocate?), you can try any of the recommended pagefile sizes and see what happens.

I have read that certain programs ( Adobe Photoshop was the example, I believe) can be very aggressive upon opening and like to grab as much memory as they can.
They will complain/ perform poorly if you have a minimal PF space.
I don't know.

Since I have a rather large and uncluttered HDD, I just made a separate pagefile partition and set it's size ( fixed, as Lynx suggested) to 2.5 times my RAM (1GB).
No issues with this arrangement, and I have so many other things to worry about that I just stopped paying it any mind.
clocker, when did you double your ram :o didn't know you have 1gb, thought you had 512mb lol.

S!X
06-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by lynx@19 June 2004 - 04:45
With 512mb memory, 768 is a good size to set.

Lynx ur a miracle worker lol. i set it to 768 and my comp runs very nicely now :) thanks.