PDA

View Full Version : Computer Not Right

robnyt
06-19-2004, 08:43 PM
My computer (Dell 4500S model and Microsoft XP system) has been "sluggish" for awhile now. Even though I have Road Runner (broadband) it doesn't move NEARLY as quickly or smoothly as it should. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on anything I could try? I've heard maybe the reformatting of my hard-drive could help (as if I have ANY idea of how to do that). What do you think?

S!X
06-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Try these steps:
1.defragment your harddrive
2.run a virus scan
3.run a antispyware application like adaware,spysweeper,xoftspy,spybot ect.

if that doesnt help then a reformat might be in the working for you. :frusty:

peat moss
06-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Robnyt , I 'v found this site usefull for beginners . Use the menu on the left to see tips and tricks. :)

http://www.tweakxp.com/

lynx
06-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Defrag, set your pc to have NO page file, reboot, defrag again, then set your page file min and max size to be 1.5 times your physical memory.

You will now have an unfragmented page file (or as near as dammit) which is how it starts when you first install XP. That's why reformatting & reinstalling seems to produce performance improvements. And by setting min and max to the same size it doesn't change either.

Strange how you seem to get the same problem (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=115079) brought up by two people at the same time, even if they don't realise it. brought up by two people at the same time, even if they don't realise it.

clocker
06-19-2004, 11:26 PM
There's an echo in here.

here

here

RGX
06-19-2004, 11:28 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=113513

Handy guide on all of this stuff.

tesco
06-20-2004, 12:26 AM
look at my guide (link ins sig) follow the defrag, msconfig, services.msc, spyware, and antivirus sections.

RGX
06-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@20 June 2004 - 00:34
look at my guide (link ins sig) follow the defrag, msconfig, services.msc, spyware, and antivirus sections.
Look above. :rolleyes:

tesco
06-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by RGX+19 June 2004 - 19:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 19 June 2004 - 19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@20 June 2004 - 00:34
Look above. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
:D lol. Didn&#39;t notice that, anyway i told him what parts to focus on. although all of it would be helping out different areas of stuff...

robnyt
06-20-2004, 03:33 AM
I&#39;ll try some/all of these and see what happens. So weird. Great example of what&#39;s "bothering" my computer. Have one of those aquarium screensavers. The fish smoothly swim around the screen and then suddenly start move jerky, freezing for a couple of seconds, then start up again. REALLY don&#39;t think it&#39;s what I&#39;m feeding them. :D

peat moss
06-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by robnyt@19 June 2004 - 19:41
I&#39;ll try some/all of these and see what happens. So weird. Great example of what&#39;s "bothering" my computer. Have one of those aquarium screensavers. The fish smoothly swim around the screen and then suddenly start move jerky, freezing for a couple of seconds, then start up again. REALLY don&#39;t think it&#39;s what I&#39;m feeding them. :D
:lol: I know first thing I&#39;d do with out seeing your specs is dump the screen saver . You probably have some fancy desk top pic&#39;s too, right ? Whats your memory size Rob? All of the above suggestions would help in some way, its up to you to find and use the right ones . My advice? Find a good disk clean up tool , theres lots of options here on this forum. Use the search button to discover them. :)

RGX
06-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Sounds to me like you are badly in need of a defragment. :)

robnyt
06-20-2004, 01:15 PM
I know first thing I&#39;d do with out seeing your specs is dump the screen saver .
***Not that as I added it only yesterday and this "slow/sluggish" problem has been around a long time.

You probably have some fancy desk top pic&#39;s too, right ?
***I only have one digital pic on my desktop.

Whats your memory size Rob?
***Don&#39;t know how to check this. AGAIN, it&#39;s VERY important to remember that my tech-smarts are that of your below average 4-year old :blink: .

My advice? Find a good disk clean up tool , theres lots of options here on this forum. Use the search button to discover them.
***Fair enough. That stated, which one would YOU recommend?

Thanks SO much.

clocker
06-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Robnyt,

How old is your Windows installation?
To check the amount of installed memory go to:
Start>Control Panel>System.
Right there in system properties on the general page it will tell you.

robnyt
06-20-2004, 01:50 PM
How old is your Windows installation?
***If this means (remember, SUPER-newbie) when I installed the Windows program, I&#39;d have to say maybe a year or two ago.

To check the amount of installed memory go to: Start>Control Panel>System. Right there in system properties on the general page it will tell you.
***According to this my page is as follows:

System - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 1.
Computer - Intel&reg;, Pentium&reg; 4 CPU 1.80 GHz. 256 MB of RAM.

clocker
06-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Ok then.

You might take this advice with a grain of salt...I&#39;m more of a hardware than software guy...but....

256Mb of RAM seems very minimal for a XP OS.
Especially with screensavers running, etc.
If possible, I would install another module and bring yourself up to 512Mb.

Secondly, I would use your Dell restore disk and just wipe Windows clean and reinstall.
Nothing like a shiney, fresh OS to bring back that snappy performance you remember.