PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Burn A 2.5 Hr. Movie On An 80 Min Vcd?

david622
06-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Hi. I just downloaded the movie the Blues Brothers (damn funny movie), and I was wondering if it's possible to burn the 2 hour 27 minute movie onto an 80 minute CD-R. The reason I ask is because I don't have a DVD burner drive, so that's out of the question.

My hope is to find software/etc. that could compress the movie in some way or perform some sort of action that could put the whole movie onto the disc.

My second (unpreferable) option would be to buy a disc that holds more minutes.

My VERY last option would be to put the movie on 2 discs (which would really suck, because that means getting up in the middle of the movie and putting the other disc in :D )

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

David622

GepperRankins
06-20-2004, 01:21 AM
you could really shrink it withh viirtualdub, but remember the smaller the filee, thee wose it looks

trillscout
06-20-2004, 02:04 AM
get ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn.

It does exactly what it says in only a few steps. ;)

Waay easier than vdub. Tenfold.

GepperRankins
06-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by trillscout@20 June 2004 - 02:12
get ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn.

It does exactly what it says in only a few steps. ;)

Waay easier than vdub. Tenfold.
i only got it today and its pretty ssimple really. choose video codec, choose sound codec. save :D

david622
06-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Sorry about the misunderstanding. Let me clarify:

The file already fits on a 700 mb disc. However, I want it to be in the VCD format, but the cds I have only hold 80 minutes, thought my movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Is there a way to shrink to fit for a VCD?

GepperRankins
06-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by david622@20 June 2004 - 02:43

The file already fits on a 700 mb disc. However, I want it to be in the VCD format, but the cds I have only hold 80 minutes, thought my movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes.

the 80 minutes is irrelevent

if you can shrink it to <700MB as an mpeg, it will fit, just may not be very good quality

muchspl2
06-20-2004, 04:24 AM
the correct answer is KVCD
have a look at the one step guide in my sig

david622
06-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the idea, but my DVD player (Sony dvp-ns715p) isn&#39;t on the list for K-VCD compatible.

Any other possibilities?

Captain Nemo
06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Just because your player is not on the list does not mean you can&#39;t play a kvcd on your stand alone, the info you seek is in the first guide of muchspl2 sig "KVCD GUIDE (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=68852)".

You will want to make sure it plays a kvcd so, you want to run the compatibility test, I would suggest burning it onto an cd-rw, link to the nero image for the player test is availible here http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2464, also availible in muchspl2 first guide.

As for burning 2.5 hour movie it can be done but, you are more than likely going to have to lower the bitrate of the file, in turn lowering the quality, I would mess around a bit with the bitrate, find one that you are happy with and always burn to a cd-rw to test it first as I am sure you are aware, movie files look much different on a pc than on a television.

My player will only plays 352x240 and 352x288

Oh and if you do find that your player does or does not support one of the formats on the compatibility image, be a good guy and report what formats it does/doesn&#39;t play to kvcd.net so the people can ad it to the list.

Good luck

muchspl2
06-21-2004, 03:57 PM
that&#39;s for that^^ I didn&#39;t want to type all that out
but yea, don&#39;t assume anything

david622
06-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I&#39;ll try burning the disk later; my brother&#39;s watching a movie in there so I can&#39;t use the DVD player. When I try it out, I&#39;ll be sure to add to the compatibility list.

I&#39;ll let you guys know what happens when I try it out.

Thanks a lot,
David622

david622
06-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Uh oh&#33; I went download the test file for my DVD player from the 1-step guide

http://www.kvcd.org/downloads/kvcd-compat-v2.nrg

But I got a 404 error saying the file "could not be found". Does anyone else have the test file?

cwctv
06-21-2004, 05:59 PM
I have it its 13.7megs but I am down/upping at the moment can do in say 30mins if no one else as it.

cwctv
06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Ready now if you want how email ?
I have an Hotmail if thats any good ?
Pm me how.

Robert00000
06-21-2004, 06:16 PM

The simple answer to this is NO. If in VCD format it will only hold 80 min on a 80 min disc.

VCD uses Constant Bit Rate, so there is no way to reduce the size. With KVCD you can fit more by sacrificing quality.

muchspl2
06-21-2004, 08:50 PM
thats not true, you can hold much longer than 80 min, what are you talking about, and if done correctly and from a dvd source, it will look very similar
I suggest you not try "help" people unless you understand what it is you&#39;re talking about

GepperRankins
06-21-2004, 11:28 PM
80 minutes is the ammount of music you can get on a traditional type music cd, nothing to do with data. (well it does in a way, but...).

(like comparing bitmaps to jpegs :unsure: )

that was just to clear up any confusion, but it probably didnt

david622
06-23-2004, 06:24 PM
HI&#33; I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the KVCD to work on my DVD player&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I&#39;d like to thank everyone who posted and helped me out to get this to work.

I&#39;m gonna go and post that the CD works on kvcd.org. Thanks a lot everyone&#33;

P.S. That tutorial&#39;s great&#33;&#33;

LithiumCrystal
06-23-2004, 06:37 PM
http://www.ileet.net/junk/noob/noob21.jpg

rookies a noob

GepperRankins
06-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by LithiumCrystal@23 June 2004 - 18:45
http://www.ileet.net/junk/noob/noob21.jpg

rookies a noob
says the red X guy

BC-UK Will Live
06-23-2004, 07:17 PM
muchspl2 knows whats hes doing

muchspl2
06-23-2004, 08:18 PM
great, glad to here it, be sure to post in my kvcd thread that you has success with it

Robert00000
06-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@21 June 2004 - 20:58
thats not true, you can hold much longer than 80 min, what are you talking about, and if done correctly and from a dvd source, it will look very similar
I suggest you not try "help" people unless you understand what it is you&#39;re talking about
Lets not confuse proper VCD with the many derivatives. You don&#39;t understand what constitues a proper VCD.

Its not a VCD if it uses VBR. You should not confuse VCD and KVCD or any other variations, they have different compression methods.

a 70 min cdr holds 70 min of music in WAV and 70 min proper VCD (1150 kbit/sec MPEG-1 CBR). It cannot hold more on the disk because the bitrate is constant i.e. it takes up the same space per minute unless you overburn.

If you can fit alot more than 70 min (70 is a very rough figure) of VCD movie on a 70 min disk its not a proper VCD (1150 kbit/sec MPEG-1 CBR).

You certainly won&#39;t be able to fit 2 hours on one 70 min cdr.

PROPER VCD&#39;s ARE ABOUT 10 MEG PER MINUTE OF SPACE.

What you must also consider is that most modern dvd players can play non standard VCD&#39;s and let you play mpeg1 movies with better compression ratio. Just because its an MPEG1 doesnt mean its a proper VCD. Make sure you understand the format you are using.

Follow this link if you don&#39;t know what the Min/Meg for each format is http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_formats.php . Look at the table in the column MIN/CDR, it tells you how much each format can hold on a CDR.

Once you have years of experience like i have, being able to differentiate between the various formats and hybrids you will be in a position to give truthful advice.

In the meantime keep learning, do searches on google for help.

Robert00000
06-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by GepperRankins@21 June 2004 - 23:36
80 minutes is the ammount of music you can get on a traditional type music cd, nothing to do with data. (well it does in a way, but...).

(like comparing bitmaps to jpegs :unsure: )

that was just to clear up any confusion, but it probably didnt
Its almost the same space per minute for CD music (WAV format) as it is for VCD (proper VCD).

Do some searching on google for help if you dont understand.

Robert00000
06-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Here are some links proving what i&#39;ve just said. Look for min to megabye on vcds.

http://www.jhepple.com/support/VCDTutor/vcdformat.htm

http://www.gotlive.us/videolist.html

http://www.videohelp.com/vcd

You can find a lot more more sites, just search for vcd on google and they should all confirm i&#39;m right as always :D

The fact is I&#39;ve been encoding movies for many years using many different methods so have a great understanding, and certainly know what i&#39;m talking about.

So lets not have anymore of this lameness, with people questioning my knowledge.

CK-UK did that before with VBR and made an ass of himself in the process.

muchspl2
06-26-2004, 10:57 AM
I don&#39;t understand what you&#39;re trying to say
you can fit more than 70 min on a cd, i don&#39;t care how many post and referrals to google you post

Robert00000
06-26-2004, 12:36 PM

LET ME MAKE IT SIMPLE FOR YOU.

The guy is asking can you fit 2 hours + of a movie in VCD format on a 80 min CD.

VCD is a standard, and you cannot fit 2 hours + on a 80 Min CD in this format because of the way the compression works.

You can fit a 2 hour + movie on an 80 min CD in other formats, but NOT in VCD Format. VCD takes up roughly 10 meg per minute of play time, and you cannot change this ratio and call it a VCD movie. It won&#39;t conform to VCD standards.

Read the posts properly before you reply.

If you don&#39;t understand the differences between the formats follow this link http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_formats.php

muchspl2
06-28-2004, 09:23 PM
yes you sure do go out of your way in semitics
he has probably never herd of kvcd and thats the answer to his question, big deal he said vcd
you win the retard award

Robert00000
06-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@28 June 2004 - 21:31
yes you sure do go out of your way in semitics
he has probably never herd of kvcd and thats the answer to his question, big deal he said vcd
you win the retard award
Now i&#39;m confused :huh:

You think being able to read properly makes me a retard. Somebody explain this to me. I thought it would be the other way. :lol:

If you look at my first post on this topic i mentioned KVCD. What i don&#39;t like is people who don&#39;t understand something pretending to know more than someone who does and attack them with their misguided belief.

This should be a learning experience for you so in the future you will be sure of the facts before attacking someone who is.

What concerns me is the newbies who posted here thinking your&#39;re right and i&#39;m wrong when in reality its the other way round.

It&#39;s better for them to get the facts from someone who has a true understanding and not go by the five stars below your avatar. just in case these newbies didnt know these stars are for posts made, and not for knowledge and experience.

EDIT: The reason i&#39;m having a go at you is because i hate it when people who don&#39;t understand something telling me they know more when they don&#39;t.

muchspl2
06-29-2004, 03:28 AM
this is how much I care "."
not much,
instead of helping you just confused him, you probably never made a decent kvcd nor a vcd for that matter
although you say your an expert :lol:
the only expertise I see is being a dick head, the guy asked a question on squeezing a movie on a disc
so he said vcd, who gives a shit, you and i both know he doesn&#39;t care of the format just that he can play it in his dvd player
I suggest you just drop it, if you don&#39;t understand by now then i guess you will never get it

cliff notes:
your mom sucked me off while your sister made me breakfast

david622
06-29-2004, 06:11 PM
I&#39;ll have to go with muchspl2 on this one. I had never heard of a KVCD before, so naturally I would assume the proper format would be VCD. The matter is, however, that I got the movie to work, and even though there may have been some misleading posts, it all ended up working out.

Robert00000
06-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@29 June 2004 - 03:36
this is how much I care "."
not much,
instead of helping you just confused him, you probably never made a decent kvcd nor a vcd for that matter
although you say your an expert :lol:
the only expertise I see is being a dick head, the guy asked a question on squeezing a movie on a disc
so he said vcd, who gives a shit, you and i both know he doesn&#39;t care of the format just that he can play it in his dvd player
I suggest you just drop it, if you don&#39;t understand by now then i guess you will never get it

cliff notes:
your mom sucked me off while your sister made me breakfast
Its always the case when someone loses the arguement that they resort to foul language. Its evident for all to see from the posts who is right.

I made 73 vcd&#39;s before buying a dvd writer. I also made 4 kVCD&#39;s. kvcd&#39;s are only for people don&#39;t possess a dvd writer, so not worth my time. Even kdvd&#39;s for me don&#39;t offer sufficient benefits over dvd complient mpeg2 to jsutify the change, others may prefer it but thats their choice.

If you learn not to question the knowledge of others on something you don&#39;t understand then it would have been worth my time to set you straight, as I have done.

Robert00000
06-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by david622@29 June 2004 - 18:19
I&#39;ll have to go with muchspl2 on this one. I had never heard of a KVCD before, so naturally I would assume the proper format would be VCD. The matter is, however, that I got the movie to work, and even though there may have been some misleading posts, it all ended up working out.
Have look at my first post on this topic, i said with kvcd&#39;s you can fit more onto a disc.

And VCD is the proper format, not all dvd players support kvcd, but all players that are VCD complient support VCD.

KVCD is a hybrid format that plays on players that can play mpeg1 streams encoded with VBR and non standard frame sizes (with high resolution movies) for the formats.

As you&#39;re new to encoding it was important to differentiate between the two formats. If after encoding you tried to play the movie on a dvd player that plays VCD&#39;s, but not KVCD&#39;s you would think there was something wrong with the player or the movie.

My point of all this is that muchspl didnt know what a VCD is, and was accusing me of not knowing what i was talking about and should not say anything, when in reality it was him who didnt know.

The fact that he makes a lot of posts means if he isn&#39;t sure about something and passes bad advice to others it will pass from one person to the other.

It&#39;s better for people to be sure what they&#39;re talking about and not tell someone who is that their wrong, when in fact they are right.

I suspect the only think he is good at is kvcd. Some of us actually understand how the different formats work from personal experience by experimention, and not what we have read or heard from others.

I hope this is the last time some idiot contravenes my posts. I may not have the time to post often, but when i give advice its from good understanding and not guesswork.

If my posts make muchspl2 honest about his knowledge then they will have been worth it.

muchspl2
06-29-2004, 07:58 PM
just drop it you dumbass, you lost
get over it

Robert00000
06-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@29 June 2004 - 20:06
just drop it you dumbass, you lost
get over it
Look at the facts, if you can read then you will know who the loser is :lol:

The fact is i said you can&#39;t fit a 2 hr 30 min movie in VCD format on a 80 min disc, but with kvcd you can at low quality.

You said i don&#39;t know what i&#39;m talking about and should not give advice.

WHO IS RIGHT ?

muchspl2
06-29-2004, 08:26 PM
for one kvcd is not "low quality" and second, the poster himself agreed he had never herd of kvcd
you were wrong, get used to it

Robert00000
06-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@29 June 2004 - 20:34
for one kvcd is not "low quality" and second, the poster himself agreed he had never herd of kvcd
you were wrong, get used to it
You are losing touch of what this argument is about. The poster only agreed he had never heard of KVCD, in any case i had suggested KVCD. This has nothing to do with this argument.

The reason for this is as follows.

This is my first post below concerning the poster&#39;s question about a 2 HR 30 MIN movie:

‘The simple answer to this is NO. If in VCD format it will only hold 80 min on a 80 min disc.
VCD uses Constant Bit Rate, so there is no way to reduce the size. With KVCD you can fit more by sacrificing quality.’

This is your reply below:

‘thats not true, you can hold much longer than 80 min, what are you talking about, and if done correctly and from a dvd source, it will look very similar
I suggest you not try "help" people unless you understand what it is you&#39;re talking about’

and this afterwards

I don&#39;t understand what you&#39;re trying to say you can fit more than 70 min on a cd,

Unless you have a mental illness you will realise i&#39;m right. You are suggesting to him he could fit a 2hr 30 min movie in VCD format and i shouldnt try to help.

You must have thought any movie on a cd is called a VCD.

WHO IS RIGHT?

muchspl2
06-30-2004, 04:50 PM
i miss read your comment, but your missing the point, instead of helping you just spammed a bunch of google replies
next time try to understand what people want, not just take everything in context
wisdom &#33;= knowledge
you seem to be smart, but lack basic comprehension skills

CornerPocket
06-30-2004, 06:25 PM
I suggest the next time you guys want to fight like children amongst yourself, do it via PM. No reason whatsoever for the two of you to piss all over this post. <_<

Since he has accomplished his task, the post is now closed.