PDA

View Full Version : Student, 12, Caught Loading Rifle.

Agamalizard
06-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Why should this type of incident be common in US????source (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=718&e=7&u=/ap/20040620/ap_on_re_us/school_weapons)

clocker
06-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Is it common in the US?

I know the media loves to report such incidents, but how common are they really?

Agamalizard
06-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Not once or twice has a student gone to school well armed for a shooting spree. Thank God this particular little brat didn't succeed. Parents should keep such dangerous items out of the reach of their kids in order to make school environment and our society, as a whole, a better and safer place.

j2k4
06-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Agamalizard@20 June 2004 - 09:56
Not once or twice has a student gone to school well armed for a shooting spree. Thank God this particular little brat didn't succeed. Parents should keep such dangerous items out of the reach of their kids in order to make school environment and our society, as a whole, a better and safer place.
I think this goes without saying, actually. ;)

j2k4
06-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by clocker@20 June 2004 - 09:42
Is it common in the US?

I know the media loves to report such incidents, but how common are they really?
Bingo.

More media=more reportage.

Incidents remain static.

The wonders of multiple 24-hour "News" networks.

"Please pick just one....otherwise our polling information will be inaccurate."

Alex H
06-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Kinda sends a message to the kiddies - don't tease the fat kid or he might turn up with a shotgun and blow you away.

Do you think school shootings are effective anti bullying statements? I know the "calling people names isn't nice" tactic doesn't always work, so are these types of incidents going to send a message to school bullies?

Also, how does a 12 year old manage to walk through the school to the bathroom with three big guns and boxes of ammo, and not get noticed? How did he carry them all - 2 trips to the car?

ilw
06-21-2004, 01:36 AM
nm misread another post

j2k4
06-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@20 June 2004 - 19:56

Also, how does a 12 year old manage to walk through the school to the bathroom with three big guns and boxes of ammo, and not get noticed? How did he carry them all - 2 trips to the car?
Not sure, but it sounds as if the boy must have been excused from class (not between periods, when other students were around), perhaps to use the bathroom, and, rather than a case of "how did he do it", must have been a minimum of traffic to witness; also, if his mother worked in the school, I would imagine her vehicle might have been parked relatively close to the facility, so he probably wasn't risking much exposure in a low-traffic situation.

The fact he was caught by someone doing a basic monitoring circuit would seem to indicate he had done a modicum of planning.

An incredible bit of luck nothing came of it.

Funny how many people, for whatever reason, recognize the sound of a round being chambered, or a gun being loaded; I've heard this from people with next to no experience with firearms. :huh:

MagicNakor
06-21-2004, 02:37 AM
It's heard often enough through television and film. Although, as the man who caught him is a hunter, it's probably one of those sounds he hears a lot.

:ninja:

j2k4
06-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@20 June 2004 - 21:45
It's heard often enough through television and film. Although, as the man who caught him is a hunter, it's probably one of those sounds he hears a lot.

I expect you're right on all counts, MN. ;)

lynx
06-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Naomi Lewis, 38, a cafeteria worker at Bull Run, was charged with possession of a firearm on school property. Her arraignment also was set for Monday.
Since the firearms were in her car, we can assume her car was on the premises, even better than "close by".

However, note where she worked.

I bet he got extra large portions in the cafeteria.

No wonder he was a fat bastard. :rolleyes:

MagicNakor
06-21-2004, 02:59 PM
I've yet to find cafeteria food one could stomach on a daily basis, nevermind to consume enough of to gain additional weight. ;)

clocker
06-21-2004, 03:19 PM
I suspect the poor child was not an epicure such as your fine self, MN.

A daily dose of mac & cheese prolly suited him just fine.

j2k4
06-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by lynx@21 June 2004 - 04:06

Naomi Lewis, 38, a cafeteria worker at Bull Run, was charged with possession of a firearm on school property. Her arraignment also was set for Monday.
Since the firearms were in her car, we can assume her car was on the premises, even better than "close by".

I meant "close by" as in, "not only on the premises, but close to an entrance", the better to escape notice, lynx ;)

lynx
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by j2k4+21 June 2004 - 20:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 21 June 2004 - 20:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@21 June 2004 - 04:06

I meant "close by" as in, "not only on the premises, but close to an entrance", the better to escape notice, lynx ;) [/b][/quote]
Ah, and what&#39;s more there&#39;d be a total lack of exercise.

Another reason for being a lardboy. :)

clocker
06-21-2004, 11:07 PM
I&#39;m guessing you would have been on his list, Lynx.

j2k4
06-22-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by lynx@21 June 2004 - 18:07

Ah, and what&#39;s more there&#39;d be a total lack of exercise.

Another reason for being a lardboy. :)
To aid in obscuring the guns, you see.

I must echo Clocker&#39;s sentiment, though, lynx-why (at this remove) go so hard on the boy&#39;s obesity? :huh:

Alex H
06-22-2004, 06:20 AM
Yeah, remember all the other kids teased him for being fat - watch out, he&#39;ll be after you next lynx.

:gunsmile:

lynx
06-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Teasing only works if the person being teased knows about it.

Anyway, I wasn&#39;t intending to be hard on the guy, I was merely showing probable reasons why he is overweight.

j2k4
06-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by lynx@22 June 2004 - 23:46
Teasing only works if the person being teased knows about it.

Anyway, I wasn&#39;t intending to be hard on the guy, I was merely showing probable reasons why he is overweight.
And doing it well enough, I suppose.

Innocently, too. ;)

sArA
06-23-2004, 11:53 PM
On the one hand, I sometimes wonder if it isn&#39;t time to stop gilding the lilly.....

Fat is Fat :P

It causes problems :(

It is as unhealthy as Smoking and Drinking Alcohol and Taking Drugs. :blink:

Obesity is almost allways caused by eating too much. (note I said almost....I am aware of some relatively rare conditions that cause weight gain) <_<

On the other hand................ there is unlikely to be any person here on this forum that has no vices. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its just unfortunate that for some people it is food and the resulting obesity is merely more visible than the druggie or alcoholic. :lol:

lynx
06-24-2004, 02:16 AM
Anyway, if he comes near me with a rifle I&#39;ll just sit on him.

I may not be as overweight as he is, in terms of percentage, but he&#39;s only 12, if he&#39;s that overweight he won&#39;t be able to aim properly, otherwise I&#39;ll just squash him. :P

j2k4
06-24-2004, 02:39 AM
The "lily" is hereby de-gilt, and pressed, too; all in one easy thread.

Well done, you two. :P