PDA

View Full Version : Nf7-s Thermal Diode

clocker
06-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Later today whilst performing some system changes I shall be removing my waterblock and exposing my chip.
I am new to this motherboard and my old Asus did not have a sensor arrangement like this one does, so when I originally installed the chip I didn't think to check the diode position.
Although I don't suffer from the dreaded two-tone siren, my temps do seem to arbitrarily change so I'm going to inspect this diode's (thermistor?) position.

My question:
Would this diode benefit from a little dab of TIM (AS5) to ensure good contact with the bottom of the chip?

tesco
06-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Im not sure, but just wanted to say, i don't think putting it on is very safe, it may leak down the sides of the thermister\diode and then short out the pins at the bottom of it...but may not, i can't remember how thick that stuff is...

Anyway, i don't think the thermister\diode even touches the chip...doesn't on my motherboard...

clocker
06-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Well Ross, on the NF7-S it is supposed to touch, apparently.

The diode stands proud of the board ( at an angle) and makes contact with the bottom of the chip when installed.

Failure to make good contact leads to a system warning failure and the PC won't boot ( I have not experienced this phenomonon, but it is well documented and much discussed in the OC forum).

My CPU temps are all over the place...not easily explainable by room ambient variations ( minimal) or system load changes ( again, minimal), so I am hoping to stabilize my readings by repositioning this sensor.