PDA

View Full Version : Sucess At Last

Champ
06-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Ok the thing turned on and ran for a while at 75.5 Farenheight with nothing at all... (thats the case thermometer)

A major thanks to Rossco, CLocker, Bigdawgfoxx and VB

I have one more problem, hopefully the last.. when i turned on the computer, the monitor was connectd and i couldnt see anything but a black screen, now my mobo has a built in Vid Card so does anybody have any advice?

Its a trinitron monitor and an asus mobo

:helpsmile:

but other than that good so far :01:

so i just need help with that last bit...

haha the light up fan might get annoying ( i didnt no my CPU fan lit up) and the sidepanel too haha it is noisy as hell but ill upgrade fans later

tesco
06-22-2004, 03:00 AM
congrats, i suppose...

uhh, try reading in the manual about the onboard video, there may be a jumper on teh board which you have to change to enable teh video.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the cmos\bios (also in manual).

good luck.

Champ
06-22-2004, 03:03 AM
on the site FAQ's it said something about maybe it is in suspend mode, press spacebar... ill try that tomorrow i gotta go to bed lol

tesco
06-22-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Champ@21 June 2004 - 22:11
on the site FAQ's it said something about maybe it is in suspend mode, press spacebar... ill try that tomorrow i gotta go to bed lol
lol, i doubt that is it, thjink an OS has to be loaded for standby to be used...but i guess anything is possible, right? :lol:

Tormentor
06-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Have you looked in the bios to see if onboard video is enabled?

EDIT:Sorry, just relized you couldnt even reach the bios. :lol:

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2004, 04:08 AM
Try clearing the CMOS.

What Asus motherboard model is it?

clocker
06-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Did the PC POST?

Sounds to me as if it didn't.
Recheck your CPU install and clear CMOS.

kaiweiler
06-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Is it making a beep when you try to turn it on? or just nothing at all??

Champ
06-23-2004, 12:50 AM
ok it is not makin a beep but the mobo light sayin it is on is on ( a green light)

Space bar didnt work,

The model is A7N8X-VM/400

i can not figure out if there are jumpers to set FSB cause it doesnt say nethin bout htat in the manual but it does say it supports 333 which is what the cpu runs at im gonna go clear cmos and see...

and it didnt post on the screen so i have no idea if it did or not (i cant seen the screen lol)

tesco
06-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Champ@22 June 2004 - 19:58
ok it is not makin a beep but the mobo light sayin it is on is on ( a green light)

Space bar didnt work,

The model is A7N8X-VM/400

i can not figure out if there are jumpers to set FSB cause it doesnt say nethin bout htat in the manual but it does say it supports 333 which is what the cpu runs at im gonna go clear cmos and see...

and it didnt post on the screen so i have no idea if it did or not (i cant seen the screen lol)
find an onboard videop enable\disable jumper in your manual and check that.

clocker
06-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 June 2004 - 18:02

find an onboard videop enable\disable jumper in your manual and check that.
His manual shows no such thing.
Video is set in BIOS, not by jumper.

The green LED on the board only means that power is connected.
All is NOT OK.

You have yet to reach POST.
There is something wrong, most likely (IMO), the HS is not seated properly and the chip is initiating thermal shutdown.
Until you can POST ( that friendly single beep that we all know and love) you are dead in the water.

Try disconnecting EVERYTHING- including RAM- and see what happens.
You should get a series of short beeps indicating missing or bad RAM.
Install the RAM, making SURE that it is fully seated ( this can be quite deceptive, the clips should be fully engaged).

If you have a good HS and RAM install you should now POST.

Now you can reconnect your drives.

Champ
06-23-2004, 02:48 AM
OK everything good with Video and stuff now new problem lol

i got in bios set just about everything....

It recognizes secondary IDE Master (Cd Burner/Dvdrom)

It says not detected for primary IDE (my hard drive) idk what to have everything as

right now i have the HDD jumpers set as single or master but i could set as master with slave or slave

the CD is set as master for the secondary

any ideas in recognizing? cause i cant boot till i have a hdd cause theres no where to save

whats the diff b/w slave and master? lol

last but not least.. i have 1 stick of 512mb ram but the mobo only picks up 480 (which isnt that big of a prog cause i wont use that much this only has 256)

my temps are good mobo @ 26 C and CPU @ 39C

peat moss
06-23-2004, 02:56 AM
. i have 1 stick of 512mb ram but the mobo only picks up 480 (which isnt that big of a prog cause i wont use that much this only has 256)

Shared Video?

Tormentor
06-23-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@22 June 2004 - 20:04
. i have 1 stick of 512mb ram but the mobo only picks up 480 (which isnt that big of a prog cause i wont use that much this only has 256)

Shared Video?
512-32= 480, So im guessing you do have onboard video. Check in your BIOS to be sure.

tesco
06-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Try setting the drive to cable select if you have that option.

and ya tormentor and peatmoss are right, the 32mb onboard video takes away from your physical memory(ram), nothing to worry about.

edit: what was it that fixed the video?

Champ
06-23-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@23 June 2004 - 03:10

and ya tormentor and peatmoss are right, the 32mb onboard video takes away from your physical memory(ram), nothing to worry about.
thanks... idk what u mean by select if your talking about my bios, i have the choices of Auto (tried it), not installed, CDROM, or ARMD orADRM (one or the other) what does that stand for?

tesco
06-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Champ+22 June 2004 - 22:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Champ @ 22 June 2004 - 22:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@23 June 2004 - 03:10

thanks... idk what u mean by select if your talking about my bios, i have the choices of Auto (tried it), not installed, CDROM, or ARMD orADRM (one or the other) what does that stand for? [/b][/quote]
Sorry, shoulda explained, you know how you have the jumper settings oof master, slave, single, all that, well there is one more which is cable select. Try that, not sure if it willl work, but i&#39;ve seen some crazy computers wher it actually works so it&#39;s worth a try.

Champ
06-23-2004, 03:14 AM
no unfortunately oi dont have this.... now my mobo works fine cause it detects the cd burner on both primary and secondary and master and slave, so it must be sometin with the hdd or the setting of the hdd i may have to throw another 80 bux into this and fuckin wait for a new hdd to arrive lol

tesco
06-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Champ@22 June 2004 - 22:22
no unfortunately oi dont have this.... now my mobo works fine cause it detects the cd burner on both primary and secondary and master and slave, so it must be sometin with the hdd or the setting of the hdd i may have to throw another 80 bux into this and fuckin wait for a new hdd to arrive lol
lol it&#39;s probably something simple&#092;stupid like teh ide cable is on backwarsd or something. Just recheck everything again, power connections, try a different molex connector maybe.

Champ
06-23-2004, 03:19 AM
i tried both ide connecters on it lol they both work fine.... ON THE CD DRIVE lol

tesco
06-23-2004, 03:26 AM
Whos computer is it that you are on now? is it yours?

if you want to get using that new computer, which im sure you do, then take this hard drive4 out and put it in teh new computer. Then you can 1) know for sure that it is a problem with that other hard drive and 2) use teh new computer :).

clocker
06-23-2004, 03:27 AM
what did you do to finally get into BIOS?

lynx
06-23-2004, 03:27 AM
What sort of drive is it (make/model)? Sounds kinda old.

Some older drives have three possible settings.

Master - means this is the logical first drive on the cable, but there must be a slave drive for this to work.

Slave - means this is the logical second drive on the cable, but there must be a master drive for this to work.

Single - means this is the logical first drive on the cable and it is the only drive on the cable.

Later drives just have master and slave, but for master there is no necessity for a slave drive.

I gather you&#39;ve only got one drive on the first cable. If the option is available, you MUST select Single, Master does not work in that sort of configuration.

Virtualbody1234
06-23-2004, 03:29 AM
It must be an older Western Digital drive. Set the jumper to single if it&#39;s the only drive on that cable. Connect the drive to the end connector of the cable.

Champ
06-23-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by clocker@23 June 2004 - 03:35
patience is a virtue i was waitin there and just kept pressin del to get to bios and i hear the monitor make a noise so it finally posted... and i cleared cmos but i think it was the waiting... just takes a really long time to boot lol

thanks guys

tesco
06-23-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Champ+23 June 2004 - 00:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Champ @ 23 June 2004 - 00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@23 June 2004 - 03:35
patience is a virtue i was waitin there and just kept pressin del to get to bios and i hear the monitor make a noise so it finally posted... and i cleared cmos but i think it was the waiting... just takes a really long time to boot lol

thanks guys [/b][/quote]
do that on every boot?

Champ
06-23-2004, 05:18 AM
yup

tesco
06-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Champ@23 June 2004 - 00:26
yup
well thats not right...

how long, exactly?

Champ
06-23-2004, 06:14 AM
like a minute and ahalf to get from power on to POST

idk if thats long by computer terms but none of the others take that long

Tormentor
06-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Champ@22 June 2004 - 23:22
like a minute and ahalf to get from power on to POST

idk if thats long by computer terms but none of the others take that long
Thats about a minute and a half too long. Somthing aint right.

clocker
06-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Your hamster must be very tired.

Champ
06-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Ok woke up this mornin diconnected reconnected, reset the jumpers on hdd turn it on it loads instantly and reckognizes hdd thanks guys idk what out of all that it was but it works... now im goin to attempt to install windows lol could be a long day

(first builds suck if u dont no what ur doin)

clocker
06-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Champ@23 June 2004 - 07:32

(first builds suck if u dont no what ur doin)
If "u dont no what ur doin" it doesn&#39;t get any better either.

Champ
06-23-2004, 03:25 PM
wait bad news... Hard disc error... WTF so i restart and cant get it to detect the hdd now

if i have an external usb hdd, can i us that to boot and store windows on? even thogh i didnt install the drivers... (Buslink USB Hard Drive)

tesco
06-23-2004, 04:06 PM
To use the usb hard drive: Go into bios, find legacy usb support, enable all the USB type stuff that you can.

Now you can install to that hard drive.

Champ
06-23-2004, 05:29 PM
ok thanks ill update ya when i finish

also what should it be with a hard disc error.. anything to do or the hdd is just toast

and what is ARMD?

Champ
06-23-2004, 07:19 PM
K i found the prob now im installin Xp

I was like hmm the cd drive works as secondary ill put it in the primary slot and the hdd in secondary.. bam hdd works, cd drive doesnt... so i figure its the primary reciever that sux so i put the ide cable in secondary, run cdburner/dvd rom as master and hdd as slave

is that setup ok or do ureccomend cd be slave and hdd master?

EDIT: also, xp asked if i wanted to partition and i tried to partition 500mb for it but i couldnt clear the default partition of the full hdd, so i just said install, will i be able to save stuff on the hdd? and how do i create partitions without reinstalling... (i need 3 1gb partitions for my fam members

tesco
06-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Hard drive should be primary master ;)

could be teh ide cable causing teh problems...

Champ
06-23-2004, 09:50 PM
is it a big deal if its not master?

i guess i could switch it lol but secondary works and the computer works with it as slave lol

i just dont wanna fuck it up

lynx
06-23-2004, 10:03 PM
You risk having any number of problems with that configuration.
XT may work, but if you later need to use some other OS for problem solving purposes chances are it will fail. It shouldn&#39;t be a big problem to swap master and slave.

Regarding your 1.5 minutes to post, that again sounds like an ide configuration problem. It usually occurs when you&#39;ve told the system what drive is where, but then changed or removed a drive. You can usually avoid this problem by setting all drives to "Auto".

Champ
06-23-2004, 10:24 PM
k thanks