PDA

View Full Version : Expert Problem

Storm
06-22-2004, 06:07 PM
ok, ive had this problem some time now, and last time i thought it was solved due to the help of some ppl here...... it really wasnt, but our internet connection got cut off before i found that out

now we have internet again, and here's the problem:

there's 3 of us in this house, 2 desktops, 1 laptop

1 router
1 ethernet modem
enough patch/crossover cables

yet no internet

for some reason, the modem WILL dial up, and if connected to a comp directly, that comp has internet

now the weird part......... if i connect to the internet with a comp, then switch my modem 2 the router, and my comp to the router, I have internet, but the rest doesnt........ if i repeat this trick for everyone, we all have internet........ when we reboot, we dont anymore........

WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG????

everything is connected correctly, router and ethernetmodem have the right dialup settings, firewall in router is turned of...............

any help is really appreciated

(and no, not rebooting isnt an option mr wiseguy)

EDIT: the network via the router works fine, no problem with that @ all, its just the network doesnt work with the internet <_<

kaiweiler
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
My first guess would be that you mistaked your router for a hub which allows internet access to only the first computer, which would be why just the one has access to the internet.
Are you sure it&#39;s a router you&#39;ve got and not a hub or switch??
What&#39;s the model number of the router, if that&#39;s what you&#39;ve got?

Storm
06-22-2004, 06:22 PM
well it says router on the box........

check this (http://www.sweex.com/product.asp?pid=302)

and i didnt even plug my comp into the first port............

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Have you accessed the logon screen in your router?

Once the router is logged on then whatever PC you connect to it will automatically be online. There is no need to setup a logon in each PC.

From what I can tell from the online users manual (not english) you need to type: http://192.168.2.1 in your browser to gain access. Page 7 here: http://www.sweexeurope.com/media/prodDownl...ex-brrouter.pdf (http://www.sweexeurope.com/media/prodDownloads/LB_sweex-brrouter.pdf)

Storm
06-22-2004, 06:35 PM
well if i go online directly through the modem, then switch via the router, then go to the router&#39;s page, it gives me a DNS error and goes to that dumb msn search thing.........

btw, i cant connect to the internet if my modem is connected to the WAN port, i have to connect it to one of the computer ports.... (weirdest **** huh?)

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2004, 06:44 PM
I don&#39;t think you understood my last post.

You need to connect through the WAN connection and establish a connection of your router to the internet. Once you do that then all PCs that you connect to your router will automatically have internet access.

Storm
06-22-2004, 06:49 PM
oh, yes, i did misunderstand you........ sry

but that doesnt work either.......... when i set my router to continuous, the internet connection just doesnt work

when i set it to manual, and try to dial up, it says "failed to connect" :&#39;(

Chewie
06-22-2004, 06:56 PM
What do you mean you &#39;switch the modem to the router&#39;?

I&#39;m not sure I understand your setup.
Forgetting all the other computers for now...
Do you mean that your ADSL modem works fine and you can access the internet when you connect your comp to that, but you don&#39;t have access if you connect your comp to the router and the router to the ADSL modem?
Then do you mean that if you setup your network with the router not connected to the modem but have your computer connected to the modem, you all have internet acceess?

However you have it at the moment, I&#39;d set it up like this...

ADSL modem
|
Router
/ | &#092;
PC1 PC2 PC3

Turn off erverything.
Turn on the router.
Turn on the ADSL modem.
Turn on your computer, access the router config (often it&#39;s 192.168.8.1 in any browser) and find it&#39;s MAC address.
Access the ADSL modem (my cablemodem is 192.168.100.1) and check that it has recognised the MAC address of the router.
Reboot the router, either by a restart button in it&#39;s config pages or turning off-on.
You might need to set your default gateway to the router&#39;s LAN IP.
You may have a problem if your ISP doesn&#39;t let you use MAC addresses that you haven&#39;t registered with them, so you may need to either
- contact them and add your router&#39;s MAD address with them, or
- change the router&#39;s WAN MAC address to one that is registered with your ISP.

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Sorry I am having difficulty reading the non english manual. I&#39;ll try to find one in engilsh or perhaps you can find one?

I&#39;m thinking that your router isn&#39;t setup right. Go into the router configuration and look for DHCP and enable that.

Storm
06-22-2004, 07:05 PM
DHCP is enabled

and i cant find a manual in anything other than dutch.........

even if i go through www.sweex.com and dont change the language.......

i do have a hardcopy manual here beside me.......... if there anything you want me to lookup...........

and i have a manual that came on a CDrom, but thats 7 MB.......... ill go looking for an FTP host, see if i can post it........

Storm
06-22-2004, 07:07 PM
wait, i got the manual (http://www.sweexeurope.com/media/prodDownloads/LB000020_eng.pdf)........

tesco
06-22-2004, 07:10 PM
you are ahving this problem becuase you haven&#39;t setup the route to connect to the net properly. You are plugging the modem into a lan port, which pretty much makes the router into a hub cause your bypassing the router features.

anyway, without getting too much into that:

hook up the modem to teh WAN port, hook up any computers u have to the lan ports.

go into teh router config page, find the page where u configure the wan, then set it all up to match your ISP settings.

Now te router makes the connection for you, you don&#39;t have to use any diaups or anything like that, it does it all for you so u just turn on teh computer and the net is on.

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Can you tell me what type of internet connection you have ? Does it use PPPoE?
Or maybe a link to your providers site?

Storm
06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
@ rossco: do i hook it up via patch cable or via crossover? my guess would be patch, but just 2 b sure........

@ virtualbody, my isp&#39;s site is in dutch......... and its a REALLY crappy site.......

but its ADSL, PPPoE, 1120/352 kpbs connection......

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Patch cable.

tesco
06-22-2004, 07:33 PM
ya use a patch cable, it&#39;s what im using works fine.

ok go into teh router config, choose pppoe, insert your password and login and any other info that may be required (im not too familiar with pppoe, i just select dynamic and am done with it {using cable internet})

Storm
06-22-2004, 07:36 PM
yep, done that...........

no connection........

lynx
06-23-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Storm@22 June 2004 - 19:44
yep, done that...........

no connection........
What is saying "No connection"?

If you are trying to access the modem directly from your pc, this will fail if you&#39;ve got the modem correctly connected. I&#39;m guessing this is what you are trying to do because of the successful methods you&#39;ve been discussing.

The software to access your modem should no longer be active on your pc. You should have your internet connection set as "Never dial a connection" because you are now connecting externally, so your pc is connecting via a LAN.

So you need to tell the router the username and password (and service name if used) so that the router can do the dialing.

Sorry if you are already trying this, but the fact that you&#39;ve obviously still got the modem dialup on the pc makes me suspicious that this is where your problem lies.

bigdawgfoxx
06-23-2004, 03:37 AM
Try using a friends router if you can to see if that will work. Try Linksys..thats what I got and its great.

Twist3r
06-23-2004, 03:02 PM
start>control panel>network connections right click on the interernet then click on properties then select TCP /IP and hit properties then select obtain IP automaticly.

i have to do this when put my router in
:)

Storm
06-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by lynx@23 June 2004 - 04:13
So you need to tell the router the username and password (and service name if used) so that the router can do the dialing.
thats the problem, it wont dial......... it (= the router) keeps telling me "failed to connect"

@ twister: tried that.......

i think ill take bigdawg&#39;s advice........ i think the damn thing may be broken (2 bad i dont have the receit anymore :&#39;()

SingaBoiy
06-23-2004, 10:41 PM
I had a problem similar to this. I could only have one pc/device online at a time.

I went to the router ip address (192.168.1.1) and entered pass. Then went to DHCP settings and the # of users for some reason was set to 2. But only one thing could connect like that. So I put it at 5 and now all can connect.

delphin460
06-24-2004, 01:30 AM
just checking

you are connecting the modem to the router via the link connection on the router right

if so can you the access the the internet with at least one of the computers

when i had my network setup with that config, each computer actualy connected to the internet with its own broadband dial up settings

eg i did a pppoe for each comp to connect , ( did the network wiz on each comp to connect directly to the internet via broadband ) thus i had each comp on its own ip address at my isp

i only had a speed touch home modem and was not able to set the modem to stay online by its self without a computer connected and pppoe used

tesco
06-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@23 June 2004 - 20:38
i only had a speed touch home modem and was not able to set the modem to stay online by its self without a computer connected and pppoe used
Was it a modem&#092;reouter or just a modem, and a seperate router? cause keeping the connection active without each computer having to connect is the job of the router...u either had it setup wrong or were using a hub&#092;switch not a router...

delphin460
06-24-2004, 01:51 AM
ok forget most of what i said above as i just saw the router details in the previous page

ok , so you have a broadband router without a inbuilt modem

thus if you can get the router to connect the modem and keep it online ( with the built in pppoe of the router ) and one comp can access the net

make sure the other computers are connected and restart them , and the check there ip addresses

they should all be in the same ip range eg 192.168.0.something

do this by opening a command prompt window and typing ipconfig on each comp

once they are all on the same ip range you will need to do a network wizard on each comp and tell the wiz each comp connects via a hub or gateway and they should also work as well