PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Kid Has To Write Apology In Own Blood

Keikan
06-22-2004, 07:26 PM
TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- A Japanese teenager was forced by his teacher to write an apology in blood after dozing in the classroom, the school's principal said on Monday.

The teacher later went to high school principal Hiroaki Dan and confessed what he had done, Dan told Reuters.

The teacher had apologized to the 17-year-old boy and his parents, Dan said, confirming a local media report of the incident, which happened last Thursday.

He said the boy was taken to the staff room of the school in Fukuoka City, southern Japan, after being caught asleep during a lesson. The 40-year-old male teacher handed the boy a box-cutter and paper and told him to write an apology in blood.

The teacher left the student, who then cut his finger and began to write an apology using his own blood.

Other teachers in the staff room did not notice what was happening, Dan said.

"To ask a student to write in their own blood is something I just can't imagine," he said.

He said the boy was back in school, and neither he nor his parents had asked to switch teachers. The teacher involved is expected to resume classes in a few days, Dan said.

The incident comes on the heels of an attack in which an 11-year-old girl killed a classmate by slashing her throat with a box cutter, also in southern Japan.

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/06/21/japan.blood.reut/index.html)

BigBank_Hank
06-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Vidcc beat you to it with a topic in the Talk Club.

We have gotten a little side tracked but Vidcc’s famous for that :D :P

HERE (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=115498&st=0&#entry1047977)

j2k4
06-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Pretty crude.

Not Middle-East crude, but crude enough.

cpt_azad
06-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Not Middle-East crude, but crude enough lol :lol:

Voetsek
06-23-2004, 11:19 AM
late for school bad news kid got beat to death one time and one crushed by the school gates thats scary

bindi
06-23-2004, 03:11 PM
It just goes to show how different we all are. If my son had been made to write an apology in his own blood I think I would be asking for the teachers blood in return. I definitely wouldn't be letting my child continue in that class under that teacher!

j2k4
06-23-2004, 08:39 PM
I'd be very interested to hear whether this teacher had a rationale for this particular stunt; the article doesn't mention one. :huh:

sArA
06-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, I bet he won't go to sleep in his lessons any more.... :lol:

This is what we need, no more of this wishy washy, dont discipline the kids cos it might upset em crap....I think there should be more blood letting in our schools.

bring back the cane, the birch, the slipper....and if that fails....well, why not 100 lines in their own blood...

'I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework''I will do my homework'.......................etc

:lol:

j2k4
06-23-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm sure you weren't entirely serious Sara, but I agree:

Much of what is currently allowed to pass should, instead, be nipped in the bud when it first presents.

There would be your prescription for over-incarceration, I think.

sArA
06-23-2004, 11:34 PM
true...

This incident however speaks more of cultural ritual than abuse. A case of dishonouring the teacher. I have no evidence, but based on what was in the first post, the parents did not seriously object. Why? The Japanese culture is far more based on respect than many other cultures. Perhaps we cannot judge the right or wrong of this action without being aware of the cultural principles that led to it.

However, I cannot imagine an occasion where this sort of incident would not result in prosecution and scandal within the UK, my experience elsewhere is limited. :)

lynx
06-24-2004, 02:34 AM
Is right and wrong culture based? I think not, although I concede that acceptability of things which are wrong certainly may be.

In the same way, we in the west find beheading of abductees disturbing, yet although we would deplore the murder (in other ways) of kidnap victims, we would not necessarily describe it as barbaric or with such distaste. By contrast, in the Middle East execution (which I assume is how the kidnap groups describe the killings) by beheading is accepted as quite normal.

How things have changed. My home town has a replica of a gibbet (on Gibbet Street, not surprisingly). The original is believed to date back to the 11 century. Contrary to popular belief, a gibbet is NOT used for hanging but is an early form of beheading device, predating the guillotine by over 500 years. Perhaps we should consider our own history before passing judgement, and also look at how our own current behaviour may appear to other cultures.

Skweeky
06-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Always liked 'stupeurs...et tremblements' by Amelie Nothomb (stupors and trembings translated)

It's a book about a girl who goes to work in a Japanese company. She grew up in Japan, but moved back to Belgium afterwards. Based on a true story and said to give a great impression of the Japanese society.

I'm only 21 and I remember teachers hitting and even kicking students. The school I went to was very strict though, a bit too strict. I think that discipline around 12-13-14 is really important but it should loosen afterwards. I changed schools afterwards, and went to a far less strict school. By the time I was in 6th grade, we were allowed to eat and drink coffee during most classes, and besically decide what we did during the classes. Just shows that giving kids some responsibility of their own can work great too. No one failed that year and we all had great grades.

masterpiece21
06-24-2004, 03:31 PM
And this teacher hasn't been arrested for this?i would think making a student cut himself n write an apology with his own blood calls for some type of punishment.i fall asleep in class all the time,the most i get is a paper ball in the head or sent2the principle.

Skweeky
06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
But it's a different culure...if they don't think it's necessary to take it any further that's their choice.
Not so long ago physical abuse was common in schools here too

bindi
06-25-2004, 12:22 AM
But where do you draw the line??
Yes physical abuse is a not so distant memory, but making a child cut himself to do lines in blood??? Even if it only took a small nick to the tip of the finger to get the blood flowing I think the punishment out weighs the crime a bit.

But yes I admit, this is based on my culture not the Japanese culture.
I understand the Japanese culture places a very high priority on education. Their school days are very different to the Western schooling system.
For instance, the children do not move around from class to class, the teachers do, with classes of about 45 to 50 students, they even have their lunch in that class room.

It has only been recently that they stopped classes on Saturdays.

I guess if the parents are not going to press charges against the teacher then they are satisfied with the education system, or at least accept it.