PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

S!X
06-23-2004, 02:11 AM
ok when i open email and other internet related stuff it always opens with IE how the hell can i get Firefox to be my DEFAULT BROWSER? its being a bitch <_< :angry: :helpsmile:

tesco
06-23-2004, 02:14 AM
go to control panel>add&#092;remove programs>on the left side it says "set program access and defaults", click that, then click teh arrow beside custom, then for broswer select firefox.

OR

Go into firefox and click: Tool>options>general on the left side>click check now.

S!X
06-23-2004, 02:16 AM
fuck ive tried both ways already and when i open up like hotmail and shit from msn messenger it always fuckin opens IE that peice of shit. is there any other ways?

tesco
06-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Not sure if this would matter but: Go into ie>tools>options>"programs" tab>uncheck "check to see if IE is teh default browser".

not sure if that would make any difference, shouldn&#39;t, but might as well see.

next try going into any folder on your harddrive>tools>folder options>file types>click "internet shortcut" then click advanced>click on "open" then click edit on teh right. Change the program it is set to open with (currently probably says rundll32 and some other crap) change it to firefox. Repeat for print and print to...

again not sure if this will make any difference but i guess it is worth a try.

If those don&#39;t help, reinstall firefox?

S!X
06-23-2004, 02:30 AM
well i tried all that shit you told me none of it worked and im not reinstalling this shit cant be botherd.

sparsely
06-23-2004, 02:41 AM
yep. stuff from Messenger will still open in IE.
Why? because Microsoft sucks.
Now you see why they got sued?

S!X
06-23-2004, 02:42 AM
:lol: :lol:

Titus808
06-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@23 June 2004 - 02:49
yep. stuff from Messenger will still open in IE.
Why? because Microsoft sucks.
Now you see why they got sued?

:o they got sued? :lol:

microsoft does suck...but that problem isn&#39;t happening for me, maybe you should re-install it :unsure:.

S!X
06-23-2004, 03:06 AM
well i guess i can give it a try... it better work tho :angry: :frusty:

tesco
06-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by mofos@22 June 2004 - 22:14
well i guess i can give it a try... it better work tho :angry: :frusty:
try what? reinstalling? is it just msn that doesn&#39;t let the stuff open in firefox? does everything else open in firefox fine?

S!X
06-23-2004, 03:17 AM
well i guess ;) ;)

aagfr
06-23-2004, 03:54 AM
I had same problem. I then went to Folder Options --&#62; File Types and changed the file associations of the following to firefox.exe: URL File Transfer Protocol, Hpyertext Trnasfer Protocol, Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy. The Problem was solved.

sparsely
06-23-2004, 04:39 AM
with the exception of Telnet extensions, there is nothing left in my File Types that is associated with Internet Explorer, yet MSN messenger still opens links (such as email inbox) in IE.

ninjamonkey
06-23-2004, 06:40 AM
when you install firefox it asks if you want to make it your default browser. try that, see if it works.

Donnie Darko
06-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Is Firefox eny good?Im useing opers but its not working out for me.

shn
06-23-2004, 07:36 AM
You can remove ie and just about any other built-in software in windows with XPlite. Last time I tried it worked pretty good. Just don&#39;t go removing too many key components or it may cause xp to be unstable. I removed ie and crappy windows movie maker with no probs.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

S!X
06-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by shn@23 June 2004 - 00:44
You can remove ie and just about any other built-in software in windows with XPlite. Last time I tried it worked pretty good. Just don&#39;t go removing too many key components or it may cause xp to be unstable. I removed ie and crappy windows movie maker with no probs.

hmm if i was to uninstall IE and i wnted to reinstall it later would i have any problems? and 2 is uninstalling IE a good idea? ;) :helpsmile: :blink: :blink:

Bebi
06-23-2004, 09:19 AM
set IE as the non default browser (even if firefix already is the default) or look for a plugin to do it for you ;)

gildan2020
06-23-2004, 12:23 PM
mofos, u gotta understand one thing about msn messenger

no matter what default browser ur using, if u click it to check email, it will just launch hotmail using IE...nuthin else

i&#39;m saying this out of experience of using both opera and firefox b4

however, for everything else, i haven&#39;t found a solution yet...coz i&#39;m still struggling with the same problem, with firefox

gildan2020

tesco
06-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Would it be possible to, after uninstalling IE (im assuming msn messenger would screw up not knowing how to open URLs and emails without ie), copy the contents of the firefox folder into teh old internet explorer folder then it will open in firefox? :unsure:

BawA
06-23-2004, 05:03 PM
U cant open MSN email arrivial notification with Firefox.
but for rest u can change the defualt setting, in firefox> tools>options>general>set as defualt

S!X
06-23-2004, 07:57 PM
god this is such a pain in the ass. :angry: :frusty:

shn
06-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mofos+23 June 2004 - 02:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mofos @ 23 June 2004 - 02:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@23 June 2004 - 00:44
You can remove ie and just about any other built-in software in windows with XPlite.&nbsp; Last time I tried it worked pretty good.&nbsp; Just don&#39;t go removing too many key components or it may cause xp to be unstable.&nbsp; I removed ie and crappy windows movie maker with no probs.

hmm if i was to uninstall IE and i wnted to reinstall it later would i have any problems? and 2 is uninstalling IE a good idea? ;) :helpsmile: :blink: :blink: [/b][/quote]
I did not have any problems when I uninstalled ie. Windows file Protection has to be turned "off" in order for you to remove any of thoose. That program does it with easy to use interface. Just use common sense, if you use a program that "explicitly" depends on ie then it&#39;s obviously not wise to remove it.

winXPHE
06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
i cant edit my file types. i guess its coz of sme tweak i did which i forgot or it mite be xplite. i suppose the default file handlers r stored in the registry. if so can ne1 post the reg keys wit firefox as the default app.
thanx

winXPHE
06-24-2004, 04:53 PM
umm, i did everything as mentioned above & restarted. all file types are set to firefox except url. i went to set program access n defaults n it says use default browser n the box is check to allow access to IE n firefox. n same wit MS MV, but access is also not checked thou i did check it n set firefox as my default browser. it shows firefox on my startmenu but the messenger links still dont work
ne help. how did things work after uninstalling IE