PDA

View Full Version : Linux Slackware 10!

LSA
06-24-2004, 12:11 AM
http://www.slackware.com/

Summer's here, and the time is right for a new release of Slackware (so start dancin')! As always, thanks to the many dozens of people who contributed during this development cycle to help make this the best release of Slackware ever.

Highlights of the 10.0 release include GCC 3.3.4 (with GCC 3.4.0 as an alternate in /testing), the Linux 2.4.26 kernel (with Linux 2.6.7 as an alternate choice in /testing), X11R6.7.0 from X.Org, Mozilla 1.7, GNOME 2.6.1, and KDE 3.2.3. Of course, there are many more improvements than can be listed here (considering that the ChangeLog has grown more than 2000 lines since the last release).

YAY!!!!

Afronaut
06-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by LSA@24 June 2004 - 01:19
http://www.slackware.com/

Summer's here, and the time is right for a new release of Slackware (so start dancin')! As always, thanks to the many dozens of people who contributed during this development cycle to help make this the best release of Slackware ever.

Highlights of the 10.0 release include GCC 3.3.4 (with GCC 3.4.0 as an alternate in /testing), the Linux 2.4.26 kernel (with Linux 2.6.7 as an alternate choice in /testing), X11R6.7.0 from X.Org, Mozilla 1.7, GNOME 2.6.1, and KDE 3.2.3. Of course, there are many more improvements than can be listed here (considering that the ChangeLog has grown more than 2000 lines since the last release).

YAY!!!!
:)

You going to get that, right?

I still got the 9 installed on the other pc. I hardly use it tho...
It involes so much reading/learning that I dont have that time these days.

But im sure going to DL the 10, if its on torrents, or any other fast connection.

Also, i thought Slack dont Update the software so often, just shows how much I know really.

LSA
06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@24 June 2004 - 02:00
:)

You going to get that, right?

I still got the 9 installed on the other pc. I hardly use it tho...
It involes so much reading/learning that I dont have that time these days.
But im sure going to DL the 10, if its on torrents, or any other fast connection.

Also, i thought Slack dont Update the software so often, just shows how much I know really.

I'm going to get it, by my big bad modem can't handle it :(. So i'm going to have a friend with dsl download it, he owes me $5 anyway :lol:

Here are the torrents, but some people are saying it's slow ATM -

http://www.slackware.com/torrents/index.html

The 3rd and 4th disc aren't necessary.

Stable releases for Slackware come about twice a year. There is also a branch of slackware called -current. It is basically the continued development of the latest stable, which then becomes a new stable, and current continues on and on. Most people say that -current is pretty stable though. Here is the changelog (ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/ChangeLog.txt).

Afronaut
07-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Donwloading the tenner now.

cd1 and cd2 coming at about 115k, that just about the max i get with 1mb line here. I think i get them under 5 hours, just about the same as the niner.

Niiiiiice.

:cool2:

I dunno if im going to install it anytime soon, but i just have to have it, you know that feeling?

:lol:

LSA
07-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@4 July 2004 - 05:52
I dunno if im going to install it anytime soon, but i just have to have it, you know that feeling?

I used to download apps and stuff I wouldn't even use :rolleyes:

Afronaut
07-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by LSA+4 July 2004 - 18:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LSA @ 4 July 2004 - 18:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guitar&#045;Slinger@4 July 2004 - 05:52

I used to download apps and stuff I wouldn&#39;t even use :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Yeah, im slowing on the dowloads also,
has a lot to do with the free space on the HD&#39;s and me been lazy
about burning cd&#39;s.

:cool2: