PDA

View Full Version : Notepad Is Gone...

PsychoTrooper
06-24-2004, 03:57 AM
I installed AntiVir for XP not too long ago and since then I've been having problems. It constantly caught things that had "traces" of trojan's and whatnot in it, one of them being Notepad. I didn't realize it at first because I'm guessing someone else was prompted to delete it and did. So now Notepad does not work, when I try to open it, it says "Windows is searching for '00000257.006'" and cannot find it. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to reinstall this without having to reinstall windows? And I cant put my Windows disk in and replace it because I dont have a Windows disk, my computer only came with a recovery disk and if I don't have to, I don't want to format again... Thanks very much for any help, I appreciate it, I miss my notepad...

tesco
06-24-2004, 04:09 AM
This happened to me a while back, like a year ago, lost pretty much every EXE file on my computer :( both partitions :( :(

anyway, i was dumb back then, maybe try start>run>sfc /scannow

my work, not sure, should though. Good luck.

If not, you could do a repair install of windows, or try one of teh many alternatives to notepad.

harrycary
06-24-2004, 04:11 AM
Try using the Windows XP Restore feature.

Click Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Follow on-screen instructions.

BTW, a proper AntiVirus program shouldn't have any problems with Windows notepad. I suspect there is more to it and further investigation is in order.

regards

tesco
06-24-2004, 04:19 AM
To save all teh trouble, here is a great notepad program, notepad2, (http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html) just downlaoded it myself and replaced the original notepad.exe file with it.

Works exactly same, looks almost identical, except that the icons are more XP style, and there are more features that u can or can choose not to use. :)

Jg427
06-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Right click the notepad shortcut > properties > shortcut and check the target path, it may have been changed. It should be %SystemRoot%\System32\notepad.exe

A virus may have changed the name of notepad and replaced it with a fake. Check in the windows\system32 folder for a file with a similar name at 64.5 KB like notepad.exe.bak or note.com. If you find one change the name back.

S!X
06-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Jg427@23 June 2004 - 21:53
Right click the notepad shortcut > properties > shortcut and check the target path, it may have been changed. It should be %SystemRoot%\System32\notepad.exe

A virus may have changed the name of notepad and replaced it with a fake. Check in the windows\system32 folder for a file with a similar name at 64.5 KB like notepad.exe.bak or note.com. If you find one change the name back.
i have had that problem also,its eaither spyware or a virus some shit like that ,that did it try that Jg427 said, it should work out for you. :)