PDA

View Full Version : Question About Celerons & Pentium 3's

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 01:20 PM
I have a 1Ghz Celeron installed in my machine right now and have been wanting to upgrade to a P3, because of the obvious performance increase and the P3 is the best my motherboard can do apparently. First question is would it be worth the money to upgrade from the 1Ghz Celeron to a 1.4Ghz P3? How much of an upgrade would it really be performance wise? I'll be honest and admit my knowlege of processors is limited so any and all help or advice would be appreciated greatly. Next I have questions of bus speeds.......

I have an Intel 810 chipset so my bus speed is 100Mhz. I know there is another P3 with a bus speed of 133Mhz. What would happen if I tried to install and run that in my computer?

Again, any help would be great. Thanks.

Virtualbody1234
06-25-2004, 01:45 PM
How much is that P3 going to cost you?

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 01:47 PM
It's looks like anywhere from $200 - $300. So far that's the best I can find.

clocker
06-25-2004, 01:49 PM
That can't be right.
If it is, then for less money you could upgrade both your board and chip to an Athlon XP and see some real improvement.

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey Clocker, nice to see you again.

I swear I've been looking and that's the best I can find so far.

Links:

P3 1.4 Ghz 133 (http://tomshardware.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--403,prod_id--6512491.html)

P3 1Ghz 100 (http://tomshardware.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--403,prod_id--5112910.html)

I've been wanting to build a new, slightly killer machine once I have the spendable cash and time to do so, but if I would get a whole new board and cpu I'd be better off saying screw it and building a new rig rather than just get the new board and cpu don't you think?

clocker
06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Well Sharp, that would depend on the quality/compatability of all your other components.

You would prolly need new RAM also, but the other stuff, case, drives, etc., would most likely work with your new parts.

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Well the computer I have now is total crap truthfully, but it works for the time being. It's an eMachines T1100. That is why I've been wanting to build a new one. I wanted to have that done within the next year so I figure it wouldn't be a big deal to spend the money on a new CPU now considering I have so much time. To be honest with you I don't really need a new one, I just want it and I enjoy doing stuff like that anyway. I have this crappy machine running as good as it is physicaly possible save for the new CPU upgrade. I have new RAM in it, 512MB, a new Western Digital 7200 8MB cache 80 GB HDD that is only a few weeks old, a decent ATI video card. Software wise I have everything I need and I've managed to tweak it so much there is nothing more I can do on that end. As far as hardware goes there is not to much more I can do to this thing where I could say it would better than building a totally new machine.

Virtualbody1234
06-25-2004, 02:24 PM
At those prices, forget about the upgrade. Not worth your money.

If you really need better performance now then get a new Athlon and motherboard as clocker said.

Another idea comes to mind: Check out this: ECS K7S5A Pro (http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7s5a_pro.html)

http://www.ecsusa.com/images/k7s5aPro_1.jpg

A very good low cost board that supports SDRAM or DDR. That way you could still use your RAM from the Celeron system.

clocker
06-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Believe me, I completely understand the desire to build a new machine.
I redo Sprocket just about every other week just because I enjoy it.

I guess my only advice at this point would be about cases...look for a good/suitable used one.
I've tried three new cases so far and the quality doesn't begin to compare with the older, less flashy factory boxes.
Plus, they are waaaay cheaper.

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 02:36 PM
By the advice I'm getting I take it you guys are saying that an AMD system would be the way to go over an Intel system? I have no experience with AMD but I've read so many good things. Why are they better than Intel if they are at all?

And it would seem that buying a new CPU for let's say $250 would be pretty stupid seeing as how those good boards are so cheap. I think you guys are right on that point. How great of a machine do you think I can build for around $1000? I'm not looking to create a super computer or anything, but definatley something really good and worth the time, work, and money to do it.

Oh, and if I went with the new board setup instead, how much work would I be looking at software wise? I'd have to completely start over wouldn't I? ...Seeing how it's a totally new board and all.

clocker
06-25-2004, 02:40 PM
AMD is NOT better than Intel, it is cheaper.
For comparable performance you will pay significantly less...money that can be spent on other components.

If you are willing to canniblize the eMachine for some parts ( drives, mainly) you could easily double your performance for a grand.

Yes, you will have to start all over software-wise.

Virtualbody1234
06-25-2004, 02:49 PM
You don't need to spend as much as a grand. You can easily run at 2500+ or higher without spending that much.

In fact that board I posted can run a 2600+ with 266 FSB and is about $50. The CPU can be found for less than $100.

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 02:55 PM
I see. Like I said, I have heard a lot of good things about AMD systems as far as comparitions to Intel based systems go when price and performance are equally important so I would be more then willing to have a look at that option. As for canniblizing the eMachine as much as possible, that was the plan!

So I will definately not be getting the new CPU then as that just seems dumb now with the other options you guys just pointed out for me.

My case is really cramped inside so I will definately be investing in a new one, I hate this one.

Well I need to get some sleep, I work nights and haven't slept yet, augh. However I will be back later on so if there is any more helpful advice due to come my way please do share.

Thanks a lot! :)

razorsharp013
06-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Wow! I could get that much of a performance increase and spend less than $200! I had no idea. And I can very easily afford to do that right now too. I will definately be looking into that. Thanks again.

clocker
06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Before you go off half-cocked make sure that the board will fit in your case and that the PSU will work with the board.
Not sure if eMachines uses proprietary connectors, but they do have weird sized PSUs so you can't easily swap it out for a regular one.

bigdawgfoxx
06-25-2004, 07:13 PM
I put together a good system for under 550 I believe..with monitor and everything...yall remember that thread? If yall can post it here cuz i had a really good setup for cheap...

Just build a new one.

razorsharp013
06-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Ok, now that I'm back from my god awful job I have a couple more questions......

After doing some more research and seeing all the replies you guys gave me I have decieded to go with the new AMD setup. Now let's say I go ahead and get that board or something similar....I already have 512MB of RAM that can be reused until I upgrade that too, a brand new hard drive, and of course I will buy the processor. Monitor, video card and stuff like that I can also reuse until I upgrade that as well. The CD and floppy drives I don't think I can get out of here so I will have to get new ones, plus I'd want to get a new CD drive anyway.....

That leaves me with not too much more to go...So taking what I need to buy new, including everything I didn't mention like cooling and other things...How much money do you guys think I will have to spend on this? ...In order to build a very good, but not super expensive machine...if you know what I mean.

orcutt989
06-26-2004, 04:53 PM
If you are really into gaming, and nothing else then go for AMD, but if your a graphic designer, or create music or anything else besides gaming, go for Intel, because in my opinion, everything just runs better.

Virtualbody1234
06-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by orcutt989@26 June 2004 - 11:01
If you are really into gaming, and nothing else then go for AMD, but if your a graphic designer, or create music or anything else besides gaming, go for Intel, because in my opinion, everything just runs better.
That's just untrue. Anything the Intel will do, the AMD will do at or about the same performance.

What's wrong with the CD drive? If you cannot use it then perhaps you could get a DVD burner instead.

Also if you get a motherboard and want to use your current RAM then just make sure that they are compatible.

clocker
06-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by razorsharp013@26 June 2004 - 05:09
The CD and floppy drives I don't think I can get out of here so I will have to get new ones, plus I'd want to get a new CD drive anyway.....

What's the problem removing them?

tesco
06-27-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by clocker+26 June 2004 - 17:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 26 June 2004 - 17:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-razorsharp013@26 June 2004 - 05:09
The CD and floppy drives I don&#39;t think I can get out of here so I will have to get new ones, plus I&#39;d want to get a new CD drive anyway.....

What&#39;s the problem removing them? [/b][/quote]
You know them crazy OEM computer&#39;s with teh irreplaceable cd drives and floppy drives, some have no faceplate, etc. ;)