PDA

View Full Version : Help

DaggersLover
06-26-2004, 12:49 AM
I have a linksys Befsr41 router that i route my computers and PS2 to with cable internet but ever since i set the router up downloads have been either really slow or impossible can someone tell me what to do please??:(

Switeck
06-26-2004, 04:15 AM
Your router has a built-in firewall -- if you DON'T have your router port-forward the ip ports of the (various?) file sharing program/s you use, then ALL INCOMMING CONNECTION ATTEMPTS ARE DESTROYED! (INCOMMING=from the internet to you)

This means you're losing access to about 60-90% of the file-sharing networks you connect to. And of the remaining 10-40% you CAN download from/upload to, they are ALSO sharing to the entire network -- so you get VERY slow speeds.

DaggersLover
06-26-2004, 07:19 AM
i use Kazaa Lite K++ can u tell me what i should do to my router im not really that technical of a person

Switeck
06-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Kazaa Lite typically uses 1 ip port -- that ip port needs to be forwarded from your router to your computer. You'll need to look at/in your router manual (download the manual online if you lost it!) to figure out how.

ALSO, you'll need KaNAT -- a separate program for use with Kazaa Lite, which makes Kazaa Lite think it's not running from behind a router.

Only when you do those 2 things together will you ever get out of the firewalled state in Kazaa Lite.

Do searches (like for KaNAT and port-forwarding) on the various forums HERE to find more info if what I told you isn't informative enough.