PDA

View Full Version : Help Installing Xp

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:09 AM
i know its late and noones gonna awnser this in the next hour but ive decieded to format and install for reasons discussed in hardware world.

ive formatted my computer and put a windows 98 boot disc in just so it can read the xp cd, but it says this program cannot run in dos when i type setup.

is their a special comand, or is their a xp boot disc special to xp? ive dieieded to fix all this tonight so hopefully someones awake.

thanks

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 04:19 AM
Boot off the CD. You may have to set your BIOS for this.

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:21 AM
and how do i boot off the cd? if that dosnt work, ill ask for info on bios

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 00:29
and how do i boot off the cd? if that dosnt work, ill ask for info on bios
You know how you boot off a disk. It is the same thing.

For your bios, Look where you can set the boot order.

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:28 AM
wudda u mean, with a floppy it doesit 4 u. when i take the floppy out and start it it says insert a system disc, and i cant to it with out it.

ramnique
06-26-2004, 04:31 AM
i think u r trying to run the setup for xp made for 98 or me....that will NOT run in dos. for that u can either boot from the xp cd (the stup should run automatically)..or go to 1386 folder in the xp cd and run the setup for dos (i dont remember the clear name)....hope this helps

regards
ramnique

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:33 AM
there we go, i had to change the bios so it boots the cd rom first. thanks for the help guys and stick around, cause chances are with my luck more things will go rong

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:38 AM
c got another question already. when going threw the setup screens i am left with these 4 questions about something called partitioning.

leave the patrition using NTFS file<quick>
leave the patrition using NTFS file
convert partition using NTFS
leave current system

all i want is to install xp and use it, i know partitioning a drive is splitting it up and i dunn really want to do that. so what should i pick->im thinking leave it alone but i really dont know much when it comes to this area

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 00:36
wudda u mean, with a floppy it doesit 4 u. when i take the floppy out and start it it says insert a system disc, and i cant to it with out it.
ok. Where did you get your copy of windows XP. Can you check if it is bootable?

1.. First thing...

1. Put in your Windows XP cd-rom

2. Re-start your Computer.

2... If that does not work then check your bios..

Go look for the option that set your boot order...

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:44 AM
ive already done that, look at my new question below

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 00:46
c got another question already. when going threw the setup screens i am left with these 4 questions about something called partitioning.

leave the patrition using NTFS file<quick>
leave the patrition using NTFS file
convert partition using NTFS
leave current system

all i want is to install xp and use it, i know partitioning a drive is splitting it up and i dunn really want to do that. so what should i pick->im thinking leave it alone but i really dont know much when it comes to this area
Do you want to install new? or keep your old files? I highly recommend installing fresh.

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:55 AM
well i formatted, so everything is already fresh. so should i pick leave current system?

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 04:57 AM
all i want is to install xp and use it,

I guessing you want to start from scratch..

Then somewhere in the setup there is an option to delete and create a new partition..

*Damn website using transparent GIF to “protect” pictures*

Image Resized
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8205/XPPro04_png.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>

Delete it then later make a new partition using NTFS.

look here for more info...
<a href='http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm]http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...stallxppro1.htm (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8205/XPPro04_png.gif' target='image'>[img)

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:59 AM
well i accidentally clicked leave current setting, but i think ill be fine considering i formatted everything. btw its xp home in installing. if i didnt do wut u recomended is their aa problem, will this effect anything or should i be fine

ramnique
06-26-2004, 05:02 AM
dont use ntfs. use fat32.... things will be easier to sort if there is a problem later&#33;&#33;

ramnique

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 01:07
well i accidentally clicked leave current setting, but i think ill be fine considering i formatted everything. btw its xp home in installing. if i didnt do wut u recomended is their aa problem, will this effect anything or should i be fine
Am guessing there will be no problems but why not use Windows XP Pro?

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by ramnique@26 June 2004 - 01:10
dont use ntfs. use fat32.... things will be easier to sort if there is a problem later&#33;&#33;

ramnique
How will it be easier ? :huh:

The ultimate way to solve any Windows problem…

Windows PE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) Windows XP running off a CD-rom. B)

Smith
06-26-2004, 05:10 AM
my sistem was using fa32 before install, and i using home because i have a legit copy that i tired before when i wasnt as knloedgable, figuring my system cant handle it i unstaled it. now as i look back it was probally a bad install or bad drivers.

anyway once im done installing, and get my interned should i dl anythign? service packs mabye?

ramnique
06-26-2004, 05:11 AM
NTFS does give a good file system...but it is not compatible with older versions of windows......so in a supposed crash of win xp- u will have to reformat all ur partitions and risk losing all data if u have to install an older version-like win98...

ramnique

ramnique
06-26-2004, 05:13 AM
well, i gotta go now- so good luck, mate.

peat moss
06-26-2004, 05:18 AM
@canuck you sound like your doing fine , just answered your own questions. :)

If all else fails check partions again before you install. Do you have one or two ? Then go for it. Before install ,make sure your disconnected from the internet. Then install anti virsus ,firewall, spyware,Connect then. First update all windows critical ,theres a lot ..
Update virus, blah blah . PM me for help its not hard just intimadating at first. Your half way there :)

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by ramnique@26 June 2004 - 01:19
NTFS does give a good file system...but it is not compatible with older versions of windows......so in a supposed crash of win xp- u will have to reformat all ur partitions and risk losing all data if u have to install an older version-like win98...

ramnique
Permission for files “specially in windows/*” will be set right

Some files will be compress to save space

And it is not hard to recover files..

Smith
06-26-2004, 05:25 AM
alrite guys were do i get thses updates from. i know its on microsoft.com but if u oculd direct me in the right direction that would b nice

Titus808
06-26-2004, 05:44 AM
NTFS is the true way to go braddah, dont do FAT32...FAT32 is as good as gone, the new age is here and it&#39;s kickin&#39; fatties out the door. Unless you already did it and now you&#39;re screwed :lol: j/k.

Ariel_001
06-26-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 01:33
alrite guys were do i get thses updates from. i know its on microsoft.com but if u oculd direct me in the right direction that would b nice
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

peat moss
06-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Ariel_001+25 June 2004 - 22:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ariel_001 @ 25 June 2004 - 22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 01:33
alrite guys were do i get thses updates from. i know its on microsoft.com but&nbsp; if u oculd direct me in the right direction that would b nice
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ [/b][/quote]
You softy make him google or something &#33; JK Good on you you crazy Canuck

Smith
06-26-2004, 04:46 PM
alrite ijust woke up, i plan on fixing the rest today. i was dling the updates, all 100 of em and when i turned the screen on it waid that virtural memory is low so it had to cut the program out. well thats weird cause i have tons of memory. anyway, im just installing them now and it seems to go fine, but how do i stop this from happenin again?

tesco
06-27-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@26 June 2004 - 11:54
alrite ijust woke up, i plan on fixing the rest today. i was dling the updates, all 100 of em and when i turned the screen on it waid that virtural memory is low so it had to cut the program out. well thats weird cause i have tons of memory. anyway, im just installing them now and it seems to go fine, but how do i stop this from happenin again?
virtual memory isn&#39;t ram.

look in my pinned guide (link in sig) for how to change teh virtual memory settings. Make it set max and min to same amount, something atleast 300mb.

Also make sure that u get a good firewall and antivirus, they are very important to keeping your comp safe.

last thing, go to device manager (right click my comp>manage>device manager on left side) and make sure there are no devices with a "&#33;" or a "?" next to them, if ther are please post them and we will help u find teh driver that u need to install.