PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Z-640 Speakers Problem

lee551
06-28-2004, 01:09 AM
hey there, i have the logitech z-640 5.1 ss speaker set. it has been great to me for the past year, but recently i noticed that my speakers sounded really distorted and i heard lots of extra "noise" from the speakers. i thought it was just a glitch in the input or something so i messed with my audio controls, nothing. restarted, nothing.
then i just let them play while i messed with my cords to make sure everything was plugged in right and tight, then sub stopped working completely. all the satellites worked fine though and kept playing, but the "noise" had stopped and they were all playing fine & clear like usual. it is really weird. i can get the sub to work for a few seconds if i tap on the back of it, but it brings back the extra distortion and then cuts out a little bit later.
i hooked the system up to a tv thinking maybe it was just my computer's onboard audio going crazy, but it did the same thing.
my guess is that a wire or connection came loose somewhere and is causing all this strangeness.

anyone else had a problem like this?? :blink: i'm going to call logitech tomorrow and get a RMA number because its still got 1 year on the warranty :01:

Virtualbody1234
06-28-2004, 01:15 AM
You sure it's not just a loose external wire?

Anyway, no this problem hasn't been mentioned here before in Hardwareworld. Good luck with the RMA.

lee551
06-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@28 June 2004 - 01:23
You sure it's not just a loose external wire?

Anyway, no this problem hasn't been mentioned here before in Hardwareworld. Good luck with the RMA.
i'm positive its not. everything is plugged in right. there is only 4 cables (excluding 1 power) that need to be connected.

tesco
06-28-2004, 01:30 AM
they do that at two different times for me:

1) If the big cable going from volume control speaker to subwoofer isn't plugged in all the way.

or

2) If, in teh voume controls, microphone isn't muted.

check those two things, other than that probably a driver problem or crappy soundcard. but to make sure, plug the speakers into a portable cd player and see if it sounds distorted.

Virtualbody1234
06-28-2004, 01:44 AM
check those two things, other than that probably a driver problem or crappy soundcard. but to make sure, plug the speakers into a portable cd player and see if it sounds distorted.

hooked the system up to a tv thinking maybe it was just my computer's onboard audio going crazy, but it did the same thing.

Ross, read the post before you reply.

lee551
06-28-2004, 03:05 AM
yeah and i disconnected the big black cable and replugged & screwed it in tight. its gotta be an internal connection going out because by tapping it, i must be partially re-connecting it. <_<

lee551
06-28-2004, 07:52 PM
wow&#33; i just called logitech&#39;s customer support and i&#39;ve gotta say they are ace&#33;&#33; i called &#39;em up and got an operator right away, told them my info, the problem, a qc number and boom, i&#39;ve got a brand new set coming :01: i dont even have to send anything back either&#33;

only bad thing is that the speakers are on backorder :( but damn their customer service was great. B)

tesco
06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by lee551@28 June 2004 - 15:00
wow&#33; i just called logitech&#39;s customer support and i&#39;ve gotta say they are ace&#33;&#33; i called &#39;em up and got an operator right away, told them my info, the problem, a qc number and boom, i&#39;ve got a brand new set coming :01: i dont even have to send anything back either&#33;

only bad thing is that the speakers are on backorder :( but damn their customer service was great. B)
really :o I could say mine are broken and get a second pair for my dad or sister. B)

lee551
06-28-2004, 10:21 PM
i know&#33; i can&#39;t believe they just took my word for it that it was broken. :blink:

i can&#39;t remember if i mailed in my warranty/registration card either. if i did, it prolly helped a lot. :smilie4: