PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Hardware

mojo2185
06-28-2004, 05:41 AM
I just setup a wireless network and I was wondering if there is a way to boost the wireless signal? It goes between "low" and "good", but speed stays low. I have a wireless G router, so in theory I should be hitting speeds of 54mbps, but its hovering around 10.

Any tips on improving the signal? Also, is there additional hardware that I can buy to help relay the signal?

Thanks for any info

clocker
06-28-2004, 05:46 AM
I have read that the wireles base station placement can be very critical and finicky.
Maybe try moving it around and see if you are just in a semi-deadspot.

There are signal boosters available too.

tesco
06-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Sorry that this doesn't answer your question, but how far away is the computer? i was just wondering...if i ever get a laptop, im going wireless for it. Just trying to get an idea of what speeds and how far i can get with it, don't mean to hi jack your thread or anythig either.

clocker
06-28-2004, 05:52 AM
This March I set up a wireless network in my brother's house.
His laptop could connect way out into the street and the two PCs in the lower level had no problems at all.

We used Linksys eqiupment.
It basically set itself up too, could hardly have been simpler.

tesco
06-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by clocker@28 June 2004 - 01:00
This March I set up a wireless network in my brother's house.
His laptop could connect way out into the street and the two PCs in the lower level had no problems at all.

Im sure by teh time i get a laptop the wireless network will go from my house to other countries with no problems. :lol:

not too worried about setup difficulty, i enjoy trying to figure that kinda stuff out. ;)

Tormentor
06-28-2004, 06:03 AM
hmmm, wonder if they have internet up in the space station.

mojo2185
06-28-2004, 06:12 AM
So do I, but you really should not allow the "plug and play" configuration... its kinda not secure.

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question, but how far away is the computer? i was just wondering...if i ever get a laptop, im going wireless for it. Just trying to get an idea of what speeds and how far i can get with it, don't mean to hi jack your thread or anythig either.
Don't worry, it sorta applies to my topic anyway. My router is downstairs, I'm upstairs. Not sure about the exact distance though. The signal is pretty bad, hopefully the router is just in a deadspot...?

Are there extension antennas that could help?

clocker
06-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by mojo2185@27 June 2004 - 23:20

So do I, but you really should not allow the "plug and play" configuration... its kinda not secure.

Isn't wireless inherently "kinda not secure"?
How close does someone have to be to pick up your signal?

Since his house is on the top of a hill surrounded by 3 acres any unmarked vans would stick out like a sore thumb.

mojo2185
06-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Isn't wireless inherently "kinda not secure"?
Yeah, its never 100% secure, but you can get close. I would do my best to secure the network to avoid any possible problems.

How close does someone have to be to pick up your signal?
Since his house is on the top of a hill surrounded by 3 acres any unmarked vans would stick out like a sore thumb.
Depends on how strong your signal is. But yeah, that would be pretty obvious, lol.

Anyway, back to the actual topic at hand. What are the signal boosters called (or are the just called wireless signal boosters?). Any recommend an extended antenna to pick up a better signal?

tesco
06-28-2004, 03:52 PM
I've seen longer antennas, possibly signal boosters, on tiger direct. Maybe ill take a look for you.

edit: her are lots of extensions and antennas at tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=374)

TheRealDave
06-28-2004, 04:07 PM
i recently got wireless.. its great, i get excelent to good signal strength anywhere in the house and in the garden.. i havnt tried any further thought :D

mine was a bitch to set up though

lynx
06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Check if 802.11 validation is turned on. If it is on (which by default it will be) try turning it off. I've seen exactly the same problem, and turning that off solved it. It is particularly true if you've got a mixture of 802.11g and 802.11b.

Also, consider where the router is in relation to your pc. If it is "just on the other side of the wall", but on a lower floor, the diagonal signal path may go through several feet of wall material. Moving the router just a few inches can make a vast difference in that situation. If you can place the router against an outside wall you cut down the chances of this happening.

Storm
06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
make ur own antenna from a pringles can!!!! (http://www.google.nl/search?q=pringels+antenna&ie=UTF-8&hl=nl&btnG=Google+zoeken&lr=)

mojo2185
06-29-2004, 06:47 AM
I was thinking about the Cantenna... but I'm not too sure that would be effective if my router is not sending a strong enough signal. What I intend to do is build a reflector to bounce/redirect the signal in the direction where I need the wireless connection. It shares similar concepts with the cantennas though.

Thanks

Storm
06-30-2004, 11:41 AM
id just give it a go, its not like they're expensive 2 build ;)

mojo2185
06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Well here's my results. Instead of a cantenna, I built 2 parabolic dishes called reflectors. They go over the antenna's of the router and bounce the signal in the direction that I want it.

Materials used:
poster board
aluminum foil
styrofoam
rubberbands

The results:
Went from "Low signal to "Very Good" signal (which is one step away from excellent signal).
Not too shabby for aluminum foil and posterboard :lol:

clocker
06-30-2004, 03:13 PM
And you did not move the router at all?

Bravo.