PDA

View Full Version : Booting To Cd From Boot Disk

Keikan
06-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Ok so i try to burn a windows xp disc and i screw up fuck who knew that winiso didn't make bootable isos automatically. I don't wanna waste another cd burning another one so i heard you can use the win98 boot disc to boot it up problem? when i put in win98 boot disc and i type D:\ it has invalid drive specification now what?

chinook_apache
06-28-2004, 12:06 PM
download the windows bootdisk from here (http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm).
Then when in dos boot from cd and i think the cd drive moves two letters in front so if your drive was d you type e:\...

Keikan
06-28-2004, 11:35 PM
OK let me start again

1. I screwed up burning a win xp cd thanks to the idoit program (come on it's a bootable cd how can you not make a bootable iso??)

2. I don't want to use 6 floppies just to make a boot

3. I heard you can use the win98 boot disk to just load the cd drivers and then go to setup on cd from dos

4. But when i boot from the win98 boot disk and try to change drive it says 'invalid drive specification'

so e or f?

d + 2 = f

accat13
06-28-2004, 11:56 PM
A quote from another site "Note 1:
A lot of people appear to be unaware of the fact that you do NOT need the 4, 5 or 6 setup disks in order to install Windows 2000 and XP. A common Win98 boot disk such as the Boot Disk Essentials diskette below can be used to install these OS's. This is what the Win XP System Setup Disk above does. Here's how to do it:

Start the computer with your chosen boot disk.

Change to the cdrom drive.

Go into the \i386 directory on the cdrom.

Run WINNT.EXE to begin the install process.

" quoted from here (http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml) I haven't used one of there boot disks so beware...

Chewie
06-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Keikan+28 June 2004 - 23:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keikan &#064; 28 June 2004 - 23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>OK let me start again

1. I screwed up burning a win xp cd thanks to the idoit program (come on it&#39;s a bootable cd how can you not make a bootable iso??)[/b]
Idiot program? A bad workman blames his tools, and WinISO is a pretty good tool. Perhaps you chose the wrong tool or wielded it in the wrong manner?

Originally posted by Keikan@28 June 2004 - 23:43
3. I heard you can use the win98 boot disk to just load the cd drivers and then go to setup on cd from dos
True

<!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@28 June 2004 - 23:43
4. But when i boot from the win98 boot disk and try to change drive it says &#39;invalid drive specification&#39;

so e or f?

d + 2 = f[/quote]
The Win98 Install disk should try and run setup from the CD after mounting the drive, while it&#39;s Startup Disk tells you the CDROM drive&#39;s letter. If you get access to neither a RAMdrive or CDROM drive then you probably have just a bootable DOS disk.

Keikan
06-29-2004, 01:46 AM
@accat13

yya thats where i got the idea, only the cd drivers on those bootdisks is corrupted

@chewieUK

Well the the cd is bootable don&#39;t you think WINISO would have made a bootable iso? No it didn&#39;t and thats where we are today.

Ok i got the cd drivers to load and when xp setup it says setup has an internal error no place for swap file.

hey i didn&#39;t finalize my burn with nero anyway to add something so it can boot>?

Keikan
06-29-2004, 10:09 AM
bump

100%
06-29-2004, 10:33 AM
um.. have you tried
right clik floppy drive
clik format
mark - create an MS-Dos startup disk????????

I have tried putting all the info from the 6xp boot disks onto a cd and trying to boot from it........dont work...alas

cwctv
06-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Ok i got the cd drivers to load and when xp setup it says setup has an internal error no place for swap file.

Have you formatted the drive ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307848&nbsp; -&nbsp;

Create a partition on the hard disk and format it with the FAT or FAT32 file system.
For additional information about creating a partition, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 255867
How to use the Fdisk tool and the Format tool to partition or repartition a hard disk

Note The Windows XP Setup program requires at least 383 megabytes (MB) of free disk space to copy installation files.

hey i didn&#39;t finalize my burn with nero anyway to add something so it can boot>?

No because the disc would have two writes which can only be seen when windows in on and nero loaded.

I have tried putting all the info from the 6xp boot disks onto a cd and trying to boot from it........dont work...alas

Have alook here: http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/ - How to make a bootable disc.

Keikan
06-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Ya I have formatted the drive with NTFS, that why it don&#39;t work?

Chewie
06-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Keikan+29 June 2004 - 01:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keikan &#064; 29 June 2004 - 01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>@chewieUK

Well the the cd is bootable don&#39;t you think WINISO would have made a bootable iso? No it didn&#39;t and thats where we are today...[/b]
Well, WinISO is a highly regarded application amongst those that have used it; perhaps you have chosen the wrong highly regarded application to copy the disc, perhaps you have used it in the wrong manner whilst copying, or perhaps you have a hardware problem. It did not work and no, that is not where we are today, it is where you are today.

Originally posted by Keikan@29 June 2004 - 01:54
@chewieUK

...Ok i got the cd drivers to load and when xp setup it says setup has an internal error no place for swap file...

When does what say it has an internal error? At the beginning of setup? During? While setup is copying files? When it&#39;s booting for the first time?
When?

Originally posted by Keikan@29 June 2004 - 01:54
@chewieUK

...hey i didn&#39;t finalize my burn with nero anyway to add something so it can boot>?

I don&#39;t think DOS can &#39;see&#39; past the initial session.

<!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@29 June 2004 - 23:00
Ya I have formatted the drive with NTFS, that why it don&#39;t work?[/quote]

I thought you used WinISO; this is a second disc, then?
Nope, it&#39;d be pretty daft for XP to be able to format NTFS and not read it.
What size is the partition you are installing to?

Ariel_001
06-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Why not make your copy bootable.... There are lots of guides online on how to do this..

Look here...

http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/

Keikan
06-30-2004, 03:50 AM
I don&#39;t wanna use another cd-r I wasted too many cd-rs lately, they&#39;re not cheap you know.

I get the error when right after i type winnt.exe it give me a blue setup screen and says that error and then i have to press enter to go back to dos.

Ya I know where i screwed up whats the difference between aspi and file?
Well logically if you were to make a iso from a cd-rom you would want it to be exactly the same right??? So whats the point of the option to pick between a exact copy OR semi exact copy???

I&#39;ll go burn myself another copy, I always fucking screw up making operating system discs

SingaBoiy
06-30-2004, 04:14 AM
Not to be an ass but discs (http://www.supermediastore.com/100pac1x24xc.html). I know what your gonna say but I wanna to add that anyways.

But y not just use Nero to burn? The iso/bin images for OS&#39;s are made to be bootable.

peat moss
06-30-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@29 June 2004 - 19:58
I don&#39;t wanna use another cd-r I wasted too many cd-rs lately, they&#39;re not cheap you know.

I get the error when right after i type winnt.exe it give me a blue setup screen and says that error and then i have to press enter to go back to dos.

Ya I know where i screwed up whats the difference between aspi and file?
Well logically if you were to make a iso from a cd-rom you would want it to be exactly the same right??? So whats the point of the option to pick between a exact copy OR semi exact copy???

I&#39;ll go burn myself another copy, I always fucking screw up making operating system discs
Don&#39;t fell so bad I still fffff them up too.Why,Who knows ? :D