PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls

tommyannunaki
03-19-2003, 07:52 AM
i`m pretty new to the file sharing world, and i`ve noticed theres a lot of talk about firewalls.
what exactley do they do and should i have one?
if so, which one?

itay
03-19-2003, 08:34 AM
firewalls are programmes that protect your PC against hackers and intusions.....

i had many firewalls and i think that Zonealarm is the best :D

download it from kazaa

Bender
03-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Moving this thread to Softwareworld. :)

UKMan
03-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by tommyannunaki@19 March 2003 - 08:52
i`m pretty new to the file sharing world, and i`ve noticed theres a lot of talk about firewalls.
what exactley do they do and should i have one?
if so, which one?
itay answered your question well, but i will just add an extra bit of info:

In order for any programme to gain access to the Internet or even a private network, it has to use so called "ports" or gateways of entrance. There are over 65000 of these ports and if you dont have a firewall, then any application or programme can access the Internet or private network without your knowledge.

Firewalls therefore block these ports untill such time you give permission.

It also works in reverse:
Any application or hacker that tries to enter your PC have to use certain ports to do this. So, the firewall will block those ports as well unless you give permission. So if somehow a mallicious worm or application has managed to enter your PC, then hopefully your firewall will detect this and stop it from entering the Internet or even entering your PC and therebye transmitting information or doing damage.

Hope this has helped you even more on the subject.

Peace
UKMan

edit:typos

M|k0r
03-19-2003, 05:06 PM
To be honest i dont think firewalls are any good at all!

Software firewalls only block the selected/defined ports, but say if someone was icmp/udp bombing you then the firewall will not work as the packets will totally screw u and probably disconnect you from the internet...

Also if a REAL hacker wants access to ur pc software firewalls are a small obstacle in the way, all he needs to do is probe you to see if u have a firewall then download or write an exploit (piece of software code) that enables him/her to disable the firewall without ur knowledge and still creep in undetected...

Personnaly i think the best firewalls out there are hardware firewalls e.g. that are either built into routers/modems or just a standalone piece of kit.. These tend to reflect these packets and probes and exploits do not affect them as they are hardware.

whoeva
03-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Here's a link to a page where you can find the latest version of zone alarm pro.

The link (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=17745)

I guess as it's new it may be hard to find new sources but it should spread soon enough, just like baarp!!!! ;)

the-ninja69
03-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Zone Alarm sux!!! Why does everybody like it, it is no good and provides minimal protection. If you want protection get BlackIce how many times do i have to stress this. I know many hackers and they say Zone Alarm suz and is easy to get around and has many holes. Now come on now it is so dumb ow everybody like it. Wow it works this is so good!!!!!!!!

N00bs use ZAP!!!!!!!!

Fuck all Zone Alarm Fanboys!!!!!

UKMan
03-21-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by the-ninja69@21 March 2003 - 02:07
Zone Alarm sux!!! Why does everybody like it, it is no good and provides minimal protection. If you want protection get BlackIce how many times do i have to stress this. I know many hackers and they say Zone Alarm suz and is easy to get around and has many holes. Now come on now it is so dumb ow everybody like it. Wow it works this is so good!!!!!!!!

N00bs use ZAP!!!!!!!!

Fuck all Zone Alarm Fanboys!!!!!
Dont call me dumb please untill you get your facts right !!

Peace
UKMan

whoeva
03-21-2003, 09:20 AM
I knew zero about firewalls and have only used ZAP. I've found it very easy to use and works. It can provide a locked door, and if it can be picked, as you suggest, wouldn't somebody just go and find an open door instead?

MagicNakor
03-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I&#39;m starting to think the-ninja69 works for the developers of BlackICE. <_<

:ninja: