PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding...

threelions00
06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
ok...not sure if this is in the right section but anyways...what is port forwarding and would it benefit me? how easy is it to do? sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere...

Twist3r
06-28-2004, 09:27 PM
it will open ports that programs need example Bittorrent, and hosting a FTP server :D

threelions00
06-28-2004, 09:42 PM
ok...maybe that has scratched the surface...anymore indepth explanations??? but please keep it quite simple...

tesco
06-28-2004, 09:47 PM
google it for more detailed info...

basically, a program, to access the internet, needs to use some port to communicate with the server. Firewalls close ports to be more secure (so people can't hack you) and routers do to. Port forwarding makes a port on your router automatically be sent to your computer, instead of being blocked by teh router. Once sent to your computer, the proper progrram will be able to communicate through it...

get it? no need to really know much about what it is unless you are having problems with some programs....

Peerzy
06-28-2004, 09:54 PM
This is proberly more software or the certain download program you are trying to forward ports to, but yeah as Rossco said every program that connects to the interweb uses your ip address a protical and a port.

Examples are:

Bittorent: 6887-6889
IRC: 6660-7000
Slsk : You choose the port

If your internet suppliers see say 3gb of traffic coming from port 9887 and its a well known bittorent/download port there going to try and stop you using it, forcing you to use a different port, some ISP's in an attempt to stop your using so much bandwidth 'throttle' those ports. This means little bandwidth is able to go through these, rendering your download speed to a stupid 2-5kb/s usually.

threelions00
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
would it help my downloads speed if i fiddled with this option? i usually get anywhere between 10 (most common) and 40 (very rare)

you took ya time answering too rossco.... :D

btw the way rossco...ever thought how you could make some cash with your knowledge...i know you're a youngen but gifted in this field...

lee551
06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
the only reason to forward ports is to speed up downloads through p2p programs like bittorrent, kazaa, overnet etc. and to allow for certain apps to work like webservers & such. if you have your ports blocked, it makes it hard to connect to other people that have ports blocked, thus slower speeds & fewer connections.

tesco
06-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by threelions00@28 June 2004 - 17:31
would it help my downloads speed if i fiddled with this option? i usually get anywhere between 10 (most common) and 40 (very rare)

btw the way rossco...ever thought how you could make some cash with your knowledge...i know you're a youngen but gifted in this field...
nahh, won't make it any faster. Think all it will do is make the difference between a program connecting and not connecting. ;)

how do you propose I make cash with my "knowledge"?

threelions00
06-28-2004, 10:52 PM
build custom pc's...all you need is a little capital upfront...add on a bit for your trouble...

and how many people do you know with a pc? they must want to upgrade but not sure how to or maybe need it fixing, they supply the parts, you do the work, add your own expenses for your trouble...same principal as a car mechanic...anyone can buy the parts, not everyone can fix it

it costs hardly anything to advertisement in a shop window...then its word of mouth...you need just one person to give you a good reference and you could be flying

also just seeing from what you write, i'm sure you could sort stereos etc...let me know what you think...for the price of advertising in a shop window or local newspaper, it would be worth a shot and if you want to go into computers later on in life, this would look great on your CV

threelions00
06-28-2004, 10:55 PM
one more thing rossco...give tutorials maybe too, one on one stuff...i went to a shop the other day and they said they charge to reformat a hard drive...1 cd it takes and a few clicks of a button and people pay for this....could call it exploitation or technophobic...i call it as ignorance is bliss in this case

threelions00
06-28-2004, 10:59 PM
gone to bed...11pm UK time...early start...will chek it out in the morning

tesco
06-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Those are good ideas. Problem is, in real life, im kinda shy, hate talking to people I don't know/people I only kinda know (like people's parents). Typing to people I have no problem with. :P

Then there is the problem that most people wouldn't trust a kid (teenager) messing about with their computer. ;)

trillscout
06-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+28 June 2004 - 22:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 28 June 2004 - 22:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-threelions00@28 June 2004 - 17:31

btw the way rossco...ever thought how you could make some cash with your knowledge...i know you&#39;re a youngen but gifted in this field...
nahh, won&#39;t make it any faster. Think all it will do is make the difference between a program connecting and not connecting. ;)

how do you propose I make cash with my "knowledge"? [/b][/quote]
not true. I recently forwarded my ports and my BT speeds are 68+
but there&#39;s 2 problems:
1) If you portFw make sure you have a firewall cause my sygate is going bananas with
pott scans and other attacks on those open ports.
2) My BT program bit tornado crashes occasionally.

Any solutions?

tesco
06-29-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by trillscout+28 June 2004 - 22:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (trillscout &#064; 28 June 2004 - 22:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@28 June 2004 - 22:47
<!--QuoteBegin-threelions00@28 June 2004 - 17:31

btw the way rossco...ever thought how you could make some cash with your knowledge...i know you&#39;re a youngen but gifted in this field...
nahh, won&#39;t make it any faster. Think all it will do is make the difference between a program connecting and not connecting. ;)

how do you propose I make cash with my "knowledge"?
not true. I recently forwarded my ports and my BT speeds are 68+
but there&#39;s 2 problems:
1) If you portFw make sure you have a firewall cause my sygate is going bananas with
pott scans and other attacks on those open ports.
2) My BT program bit tornado crashes occasionally.

Any solutions? [/b][/quote]
It was going so slow before becuase it couldn&#39;t connect. ;)

My explanation was very bad. :rolleyes: Should fix it, but im too lazy lol.

to answer your question, bittornado (experimental version) used to freeze a lot for me aswell, i just stopped using it and switched to torrentstorm, and since switched from that to azereus.

Getting all those attacks on your firewall is normal...lots of attacks going on these days.

threelions00
06-29-2004, 06:26 PM
rossco, you got to overcome that shyness...could be the difference between making a few cents and dollars...just blind people with science and they will usually leave you to it...as for being a teenager, what do they expect? these things weren&#39;t around when they were your age...just make sure you can do the job before taking it on...please give it a go, could be a furture development for yourself

threelions00
06-29-2004, 09:25 PM
i use bit tornado...what would be my best port settings?

threelions00
06-29-2004, 09:38 PM
ok...call me stupid right...but i don&#39;t have a router...do i even need port forward? i just got a modem, connected to the pc (as you do) and that is it. i use cable...

but i still want to know best settings for bit tornado or maybe switch from bit tornado to something else...any recommendations?

tesco
06-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by threelions00@29 June 2004 - 16:46
ok...call me stupid right...but i don&#39;t have a router...do i even need port forward? i just got a modem, connected to the pc (as you do) and that is it. i use cable...

but i still want to know best settings for bit tornado or maybe switch from bit tornado to something else...any recommendations?
ATM I like Azereus best. Using ports 6881-6999.

I will try to overcome my shyness, just for you. :P

threelions00
06-29-2004, 10:24 PM
good lad about the shyness...i checked out azureus....which bugger do i want...seems to be shed loads... :angry:

tesco
06-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by threelions00@29 June 2004 - 17:32
good lad about the shyness...i checked out azureus....which bugger do i want...seems to be shed loads... :angry:
There is each version, then for each version 5 or 6 different files, choose the last one (i think) it is the one that says win32 setup or something like that...

threelions00
06-29-2004, 10:36 PM
hey rossco, remember my new pc i had a prob with, i took it back...hardrive is kaput...either replacing it,or giving me an equal spec macine or better...hopefully better...

Twist3r
06-29-2004, 10:48 PM
i agree Rossco you could go to your local news paper company and give them a stack of papers and pay them to add it with the paper

on the paper have it say somthing like this:

Rosso_2004 Computer Repair Man&#33;

(phone number)

have problems with your computer?
give me a call and i will work you through
it over the phone or I can come to your house
and work on it myself&#33; for 15 dollers a hour&#33;

then you get loads of cash&#33;

my neighbor did that exact thing and now he is the local pc repairman&#33; :)

threelions00
06-29-2004, 10:52 PM
ok...using azureus now...any chance you can tell me best setings on the configuration, as i said, i am using a usb cable modem, no router...

any input would be appreciated...cheers

tesco
06-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by threelions00@29 June 2004 - 18:00
ok...using azureus now...any chance you can tell me best setings on the configuration, as i said, i am using a usb cable modem, no router...

any input would be appreciated...cheers
well, i guess what they are at should be fine for most people that have no router lol.

only thing i had to change was the tcp incoming port to something else casue it was set below my port forward for bittorrent...