PDA

View Full Version : Masking, Hiding Your Ip

Alucard1475
07-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Is there a particular software that lets me hide my IP.

I've tried many, but none worked.

cheers :)

[B][O][T]
07-01-2004, 05:24 PM
When You browse the net? I use proxies in Firefox works like a charm :)

BOT

Aaron_T
07-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by [B][O][T]@1 July 2004 - 16:32
When You browse the net? I use proxies in Firefox works like a charm :)

BOT
i use proxies in IE works like a charm also :lol:

spelunker121
07-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey gang.........Can you expand on the subject of proxies for masking IP addy??

I need to know more........will it hide me from download nazi's???

Knowledge is power.

[B][O][T]
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
However it's much easier/faster with Firefox :) And We've the switch proxy toolbar :01:

BOT

hungrylilboy
07-01-2004, 08:31 PM
i use IE with proxy pal and change the proxy reg. Check bluetack for "good" countries then find a list. Then honey pot check it

manker
07-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Single proxies provide low level protection, like against individuals, proxy chaining is slightly more secure but if you need to be anonymous to organisations you'd better use some software like JAP (http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html). Thousands of indistinguishable surfers all with the same IP, it is virtually impossible to be tracked by anyone if you surf or fileshare using this method.

Thats mainly for the ultra paranoid though, the only time I use JAP or a similar anonymiser is if I'm filesharing in work :)

shn
07-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Here is my 2 cents on proxy servers. Their only skin deep. When you use a proxy server most of them announce themselves and the other party pretty much knows your using one. If you use them to browse sites that you "do not" browse on a daily basis and you changed them frequently either manualy or automated then you reduce the risk of disclosing your true identity.......at least in an http/s ftp gopher or socks sense.

But truthfully have you seen what some of theese proxie servers are running? If someone really wanted your true ip then maybe the ip you have is the least bit importance. It can also be the sites you visit.

Lets say you go to site.con frequently and site.con has tools to see right through proxy servers,especially when they announce as stipulated above. What is a proxy? A cache server duh! So site.con compromises the proxy server you were using anyway either because you use the same proxy server everyday without changing up or because it just got owned. So the cache has of all things, instanced of site.con. Grep yourself or find it in the cache however you want. Ok then what client/s have been requesting site.con? More than likely site.con can get the ip/domain. At the very least your domain and hostname. Even worse for broadband users because their ip's hardly change.

And the moral is..................no sense hiding behind a proxy server that may be even more insecure than your box anyway.

orcutt989
07-02-2004, 02:00 AM
What is a proxy server?

manker
07-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by orcutt989@2 July 2004 - 02:08
What is a proxy server?
An intermediate server that sits between the client and the origin server.

Alucard1475
07-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Cheers to everyone. Was very informative. :)

hungrylilboy
07-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by manker@1 July 2004 - 21:08
Single proxies provide low level protection, like against individuals, proxy chaining is slightly more secure but if you need to be anonymous to organisations you'd better use some software like JAP (http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html). Thousands of indistinguishable surfers all with the same IP, it is virtually impossible to be tracked by anyone if you surf or fileshare using this method.

Thats mainly for the ultra paranoid though, the only time I use JAP or a similar anonymiser is if I'm filesharing in work :)
whats the general opinion on JAP now? after they public announced that it wasnt offering max protection.
Also didnt they have trouble with police or something awhile back or was that something else?

manker
07-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy+2 July 2004 - 16:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy &#064; 2 July 2004 - 16:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-manker@1 July 2004 - 21:08
Single proxies provide low level protection, like against individuals, proxy chaining is slightly more secure but if you need to be anonymous to organisations you&#39;d better use some software like JAP (http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html). Thousands of indistinguishable surfers all with the same IP, it is virtually impossible to be tracked by anyone if you surf or fileshare using this method.

Thats mainly for the ultra paranoid though, the only time I use JAP or a similar anonymiser is if I&#39;m filesharing in work :)
whats the general opinion on JAP now? after they public announced that it wasnt offering max protection.
Also didnt they have trouble with police or something awhile back or was that something else?[/b][/quote]
From what I&#39;ve read the public opinion on JAP is that it&#39;s the best free anonymiser anywhere. I know a lot of ppl that won&#39;t surf without it.

The announcement on their homepage that they have not yet acheived 100% anonymity serves a dual purpose I think; the first is a disclaimer because if there was someone listening to every port of your PC and deciphering the streams of coded information then they could, theoretically, follow your cyber trail. The second is to draw attention to their other ultra high anon service which they presumably charge/request a donation for.

Whatever, when JAP is running I feel pretty safe browsing www.bigjugs.com (http://www.peakdistrictproducts.co.uk/jmj/big%20jugs.jpg) while in work ;)

manker
07-02-2004, 04:53 PM
forgot to add, not heard anything about trouble from the police :unsure:

Hunted
07-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Dang, JAP makes IE go slow... anyways, what is a good one for Firefox?

james_bond_rulez
07-02-2004, 06:05 PM
u guys barely scratched the surface when it comes to p2p ANONYMOUSLY :P I use some website to download all i need

a shame that some phags on the forum think it&#39;s spam and I wont share this valuable information <_<

RGX
07-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Do you do anything other than complain?

shn
07-03-2004, 05:08 AM
I heard he also picks up trash for a living.

Ya old bagger&#33;

Izagaia
07-03-2004, 05:27 PM
So, in a nutshell, common softwares such as "GhostSurf Pro" are nothing more than laughable attempts at concealing or masking your IP address at best...

of course the joke being that someone would be actually duped into shelling-out &#036;30 over-the-counter for it. <_<

I suppose that would make me a "half-dupe". :frusty:

manker
07-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Izagaia@3 July 2004 - 17:35
So, in a nutshell, common softwares such as "GhostSurf Pro" are nothing more than laughable attempts at concealing or masking your IP address at best...

of course the joke being that someone would be actually duped into shelling-out &#036;30 over-the-counter for it. <_<

I suppose that would make me a "half-dupe". :frusty:
err no. Ghostsurf and other anonymiser products are excellent at masking your originating IP, far superior to single proxies. I used JAP as an example because it&#39;s my favourite and it&#39;s free :)

Liam100
07-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Can i ask if IP spoofing hides your ip address? and stealth mode browsing? I have sygate pro and it has these options.

hungrylilboy
07-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Liam100@3 July 2004 - 19:41
Can i ask if IP spoofing hides your ip address? and stealth mode browsing? I have sygate pro and it has these options.
no anti ip spoofing on sygate is to stop other people spoofing ip....
and stealth browsing just stops website seeing what OS ur using

Liam100
07-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy+3 July 2004 - 20:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy @ 3 July 2004 - 20:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Liam100@3 July 2004 - 19:41
and stealth browsing just stops website seeing what OS ur using [/b][/quote]
Cheers for the stealth covering what OS you use, but not sure about ip spoofing, does that mean without ip spoofing people can fake your ip address?

hungrylilboy
07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Liam100+3 July 2004 - 21:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Liam100 @ 3 July 2004 - 21:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by hungrylilboy@3 July 2004 - 20:33
<!--QuoteBegin-Liam100@3 July 2004 - 19:41
Cheers for the stealth covering what OS you use, but not sure about ip spoofing, does that mean without ip spoofing people can fake your ip address? [/b][/quote]
quoted from sygate website

Stealth Browsing:
Prevent Internet browsers revealing OS and browser version info, which can be used by attackers to exploit known security vulnerabilities.

Anti-MAC & Anti-IP Spoofing:
Capable of protecting a system from MAC-Spoofing and IP-Spoofing attacks, which disable systems and/or hijack Internet sessions.

Liam100
07-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy+3 July 2004 - 21:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy @ 3 July 2004 - 21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Liam100@3 July 2004 - 21:03

Originally posted by hungrylilboy@3 July 2004 - 20:33
<!--QuoteBegin-Liam100@3 July 2004 - 19:41
Cheers for the stealth covering what OS you use, but not sure about ip spoofing, does that mean without ip spoofing people can fake your ip address?
quoted from sygate website

Stealth Browsing:
Prevent Internet browsers revealing OS and browser version info, which can be used by attackers to exploit known security vulnerabilities.

Anti-MAC & Anti-IP Spoofing:
Capable of protecting a system from MAC-Spoofing and IP-Spoofing attacks, which disable systems and/or hijack Internet sessions. [/b][/quote]
Cheers&#33;