PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows Xp

stoi
03-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Just wondering if this is possible, or even updating 2000 to xp from a virtual drive using alcohol or daemon, ive been tempted to try but dont want to do any serious damge to my pc, as i dont think i would know how to fix it.

also i have not got a cdrw, thats why i am asking.

south-paw
03-19-2003, 11:52 PM
I've tried what you are suggesting. Eventually you are asked to insert a cd...and there the story ends.If you have the XP Corp, be wary of using the provided key. :(

Rip The Jacker
03-20-2003, 04:01 AM
I don't know about you, but that sounds like a BAD idea.... :blink:

M|k0r
03-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Get VMware which is virtual partition and a virtual drive...

Do u have a good pc? If u do use VMware to test out all the stuff ur asking. U can do this on VMware without doing anything to the rest of ur pc. So install Win2k on the VMware partition then test the update to XP from a virtual drive... If it works ok and everything then do it on ur main partition.

VMware rules for doing unsure tests like this. Its like setting a test pc but on ur own pc if u get what i mean :lol:

Supernode
03-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Open the ISO(or what) whith iso buster, then install. An upgrade dont need a cd.

south-paw
03-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Supernode@20 March 2003 - 11:39
Open the ISO(or what) whith iso buster, then install. An upgrade dont need a cd.
Yeah thats my point, it did ask for a cd for the upgrade. Its the questionable-blacklisted?-key that I am wondering about...is that why it asked for a disc? Or maybe I havent used iso buster correctly?... :(

stoi
03-22-2003, 04:10 AM
OK just tried it with Alcohol, needs the cd when it reboots and that was from an upgrade win2k to xp. so i guess and upgrade does need a cd and it does reboot so the system doesnt recognise the virtual cd before windows starts.