View Full Version : Recommend Meh A Heatsink/fan

TRshady
07-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey all,
heres my relevant specs:

1800+ AMD Athlon XP
ECS K7S5A PRO mobo
350watt PSU

the fan I have at the moment has a noise level of 34db which is bloody annoying and I am hoping someone here can point out a decent fan I could replace it with. Main thing from stopping me is I'm unsure of weather the current heatsink will fit other fans, do all fans come with a heatsink and .. well, unsure if it suits my processor/motherboard. =(

RGX
07-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (Socket A) (HS-003-AK)
The Akasa AK821 offers superb performance for such a quiet cooler, with official AMD approval for Athlon XP 2800 processor the AK821 is certainly no slouch but with a super quiet 60mm Sanyo Denki fan it is almost impossible to hear when fitted.

£11.10

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl..._Akasa_119.html (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Akasa_119.html)

About a quarter of the way down or...

Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail (HS-007-ZA)
The Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu is a super-quiet cooling solution for Intel Pentium 4 (Socket478), AMD Athlon (Socket A) and AMD Athlon 64 (Socket754) CPUs. It features a heatsink constructed entirely from pure copper for the very best heat dissapation. It is cooled by a 92mm fan with fully adjustable fan speed controller (1350 - 2450RPM).

Overkill maybe for your processor and expensive but it is very very quiet and reccomended by many on this board...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...Zalman_121.html (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Zalman_121.html)

TRshady
07-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Would this one work with my current hardware .. and is there much of a difference between 34db and 28db?

TRshady
07-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply ... surprised to see the one I found was same manufacturer and range as which you presented. =) ... Seems that's 33db .. only one db less then my current compared to 28db fan I just linked too. Only want to spend £15 max but it would make a big difference ... currently feels like there's a bus parked in my room.

RGX
07-02-2004, 04:44 PM
If you are looking just for quiet fans, here are a good range, to find out which you need just measure the diameter of your currrent one. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/zalman_fans.html

RGX
07-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Also check out these: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Vantec.html

Virtualbody1234
07-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Use a fan adaptor.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...-3614&CatId=497 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=612727&Sku=C250-3614&CatId=497)

http://images.tigerdirect.ca/skuimages/large/C250-3610-rn.jpg

tesco
07-02-2004, 05:10 PM
80mm fan and an 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor.

Or, if you wwant it REALLY quiet, try to find a 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor, and combine it with the 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor....might be so big that it break your socket off teh motherboard lol...but atleast it is really quiet :lol:

clocker
07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@2 July 2004 - 10:18

Or, if you wwant it REALLY quiet, try to find a 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor, and combine it with the 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor....might be so big that it break your socket off teh motherboard lol...but atleast it is really quiet :lol:
Have you ever tried such a set up Ross?
I have not.

I have spoken to someone who has, and results were very disappointing.
Apparently, unless you allow for a substantial length for the diameters to funnel down, the backpressure will render the big fan almost usless.

His adaptor was a beautifully machined aluminum piece, but only about 1" thick, not enough depth as it turned out.

I think the 60 to 80mm adaptor ( which I HAVE tried) is the best comprimise....

tesco
07-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by clocker+2 July 2004 - 13:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 2 July 2004 - 13:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@2 July 2004 - 10:18

Have you ever tried such a set up Ross?
I have not.

I have spoken to someone who has, and results were very disappointing.
Apparently, unless you allow for a substantial length for the diameters to funnel down, the backpressure will render the big fan almost usless.

His adaptor was a beautifully machined aluminum piece, but only about 1" thick, not enough depth as it turned out.

I think the 60 to 80mm adaptor ( which I HAVE tried) is the best comprimise.... [/b][/quote]
lol it was kinda of a joke, if it was only 1 inch wide it wouldn&#39;t work at all for exactly the reason you said, "back pressure" (wouldn&#39;t have been teh term I used , because i don&#39;t know any terms...lol).

80mm to 60mm adaptors look pretty short as well, but they work. ;)

clocker
07-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@2 July 2004 - 11:16

80mm to 60mm adaptors look pretty short as well, but they work. ;)
I have tried two different 60-80mm adaptors.
Oddly, ( and in total contadiction to my theory about length) the shorter of the two worked the best.
It was a translucent blue plastic one that I got at CompUSA, about 1"-1 1/4" tall.
The other was black plastic about 2 1/2-3" tall.

I don&#39;t recall if I used the same fan on both adaptors...maybe that explains the results.

Virtualbody1234
07-03-2004, 01:35 AM
As many of you already know, I&#39;ve made many fan adaptors. The best results I have seen is with one that is only ½" tall. That&#39;s what I currently have in my machine.

clocker
07-03-2004, 05:31 AM
These are 60-80mm adaptors?

What other lengths have you tried?

Virtualbody1234
07-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes clocker, 80mm fan to 60mm heatsink.

The first one I made was 1½" in height. I then tried 2" and noticed poorer performance so I tried going shorter and shorter until reaching ½". I don&#39;t think that going any closer would work very well. The angle of the sidewalls would just block airflow from the fan.

clocker
07-03-2004, 02:08 PM
I&#39;m curious.
As we have both noticed the same result...longer adaptor=worse performance, have you a theory to explain this?
I&#39;m thinking that the fans I was using simply didn&#39;t generate enough pressure to penetrate to the bottom of the HS, but this is only a guess.

Virtualbody1234
07-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Same here. The force of airflow feels strongest when you put your hand very close the fan. I guess that extra force better reaches the base of the heatsink. That was my concern with that tower of yours. The airflow never reaches the base.

Virtualbody1234
07-03-2004, 02:22 PM
That could also explain why the Zalman cooler works well even with a slow quiet fan. The fan is so close to the base.

http://www.pc-idea.net/picture/zalman/7000cu.jpg

clocker
07-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Well, in theory, there is no heat at the base of the SilentTower...it is conducted up to the finned area by the heatpipes.

Just for general information...
I have not given up on the SilentTower swap, but I am obsessed with the idea that I did a poor job of testing it on Sprocket and before I let it go I should retry it.
Although many reviews state that it is a mediocre performer, none has reported the truly awful results that I got.
I may have just screwed up somehow.
Also, I have in mind a design for a new fan shroud for it that would reorient the fan(s) to the more desirable ( theoretically) front/back configuration.
Being a lazy bugger by nature, I haven&#39;t actually gone any further than the "staring/pondering stage", but I am loathe to give up on it before I at least try.

Also, I read about an mod to the Zalman 7000 that I&#39;m interested in trying.
Looking at the pic you posted VB, it would seem logical to assume that a lot of the air from the fan would take the easy route out of the sink and flood out the two large gaps at the sides of the fins.
Plugging these gaps ( I&#39;m thinking of using foam) would force more air through the fins and improve the heat transfer.
Simply done and potentially effective.

Naturally, either of these two paths would require me to remove the watercooling system that I just installed, but I have soured on that anyway the past few days.
Performance is still good, but as my room ambient temp has increased ( summer has finally arrived in Denver) the temp advantage over my aircooled configs has decreased to the point that the added complexity/risk/difficulty of servicing is becoming a signficant factor.
An upgrade in the waterrig is due ( after all, the AquariusII IS a low end kit), but I think an external box might be the way to go, so removing the kit now is probably not such a loss.

My problem is that I think too much and can&#39;t seem to just settle on a layout and leave it alone.
Too many ideas, not enough energy to try them all out.

Virtualbody1234
07-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by clocker@3 July 2004 - 09:03
My problem is that I think too much and can&#39;t seem to just settle on a layout and leave it alone.
Too many ideas, not enough energy to try them all out.
I had noticed that about you. :P

I try to keep to the most simple layouts for ease of service. I look for the shortest route to effective performance. Overengineering isn&#39;t always good but it can certainly be entertaining. :)

Don&#39;t use foam. It could melt or be a fire hazard.

clocker
07-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Well, it&#39;s hardly a closely held secret is it?

You should see what I&#39;m doing NOW.

Virtualbody1234
07-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Just in case you missed it. I just edited my post above to add:

Don&#39;t use foam. It could melt or be a fire hazard.

You should see what I&#39;m doing NOW.
I&#39;m afraid to ask...

clocker
07-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Oh, I think the closed cell foam I have in mind can easily tolerate the temp that a HS attains.
But thanks for caring.

I&#39;m afraid to ask...
You won&#39;t have to ask.

Shameless extrovert that she is, Sprocket is demanding a new thread.
I was just taking a last look around before she gets stripped down and the new plan is implemented.

tesco
07-03-2004, 05:19 PM
:blink: His CPU runs at like always under 40 so i doubt the foam is going to melt. ;)