PDA

View Full Version : Another Longhorn Topic!?!?!?! [help!]

KXM
03-19-2003, 11:25 PM
I partitoned my drive using Partiton Magic 8
I burned the Longhorn ISO to disk.
I installed LH, using a legit serial. [By 'legit' I mean 'working']
It ran through 'Phase 1'. It claimed to be rebuting to start 'Phase 2', but didn't....
My system booted to an error message that read:
"Not system disk"
I ran the PM8 boot disks, and reinstated XP as my 'active' boot drive.
I loged on to XP a selected LH as my next boot.
It did it again. I rebooted.

I than took it from the top and tryed again. Same results. :(

I than installed XP on to the 2nd partiton. I ran LH as an 'upgrade'... No luck...

Any help?

THNX,
KXM

Ad
03-20-2003, 02:07 AM
What did it do when u ran it as an upgrade?

KXM
03-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Update:

Using this tutorial, I've gotten to step 4...

Every time 'phase 1' ends, my comp reboots to WinXP home...

What up with that?

WHERE'S 'PHASE 2'? Hell I don't know if it's even called 'Phase 2'
For all I know it could be "Bill's New install Pt 2. [The sequal!!!]"

Longhorn 4008 Install and Optimize Guide
by twiztid

1) First get your hands on a good copy of Longhorn 4008 (longhorn_usa_4008_x86fre_procd1.iso 687,122,432 bytes).

2) Burn to a cd.

3a) Install from an opertaing system such as XP (seems to work best!)

3b) Use this key to install: CKY24-Q8QRH-X3KMR-C6BCY-T847Y.

4) Longhorn has a new setup it will not ask you any questions throughout setup so just start the install and leave if you wish!

5) After the setup is complete you will find yourself at introduction screen similiar to that of Windows XP asking you for the users on the computer.

6) Fill that out and login.

7) Run TweakNT (included in the package) and check remove timebomb. You will be prompted to restart immediatly. Go ahead and restart.

8) Afterwords lets preform the activation crack:
a.) Boot up into safe mode, by pressing F8 before the boot screen.
b.) Run the file winxp_crk.exe (included in package) as Administrator.
c.) Reboot into normal mode.
d.) Click "Activate Windows" either on the start menu or when it popups up in system tray
e.) Choose to activate by telephone.
f.) Type in "401111" in all fields, omitting the quotes.
g.) Click next.

As a side note, I've noticed in the licsnes agreement, it refers to 'Longhorn' as 'Whistler' ('Whistler' was the codename for XP) Dose this mean it is fake? I D/L'd the file listed on this board. It's the same name as the one listed in the tutorial.

So again I'm compelled to ask:
What up with that?

THNX in advance,
KXM

KXM
03-20-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@20 March 2003 - 03:07
What did it do when u ran it as an upgrade?
That was a mistake. Ib thought I selected 'upgrade' but upon futher inspection, I realized you can only select upgrade if you are running Longhorn 4000 or higher.

What I ment was, I opened the install CD in WinXP. Not from DOS.

skelley521
03-20-2003, 03:28 AM
I read that the version you have is a bad copy; if it is the one on the install sheet....file size on the fixed version is 655M.
Did you download the "Longhorn 4088 Install Guide and Fix.rar"...I believe it patches your version.
Did you read the NFO also?

the-ninja69
03-20-2003, 03:40 AM
Why is everybody talking about installing Longhorn. It sucks really badly and has many bugs. I seen many topics about installation of longhorn its fucking alpha stage really buggy and has a lot of problems not worth the struggle i think.

Rip The Jacker
03-20-2003, 03:59 AM
Seriously man, why is everyone complaining about Longhorn problems! Of course your gonna have problems, its an ALPHA verson! There should be a Windows Longhorn section, cus of so many Longhorn threads.

Alpha means Install At your own Risk!

skelley521
03-20-2003, 04:05 AM
I don't know...it is software and we are in Software-world.

Hopefully we can find all the major installation bugs/fixes and cracks to make future installations go smoother. It is through this process that several OS's have been crk'd, whether it be in this forum or another......but why not here :D
I have seen several negative post on this matter and to them I say......Dont click to read.
I personally would like to see a whole thread of screen shots and directory shots myself :teehee:

Steve

TheMan1891
03-20-2003, 04:18 AM
I dont want to come off as mean or anything but it is an alpha version. It has problems. Deal with it. Or just get XP Pro and be happy.

KXM
03-20-2003, 04:40 AM
TNX for all the info Steve... I'll do some reading. :D

As for 'WHY'?

Because you can crack it to run as LH Media Edition... This is GREAT news!!!

My computer is my multia-media center. It's connected to EVERY TV & sterio in my house. I have a 25-ft mouse, Keyboard, & comp Remote; that work from every roome, as well.

I'm big on media. I don't wanna run it as a OS but as one big ass Juke Box, (If all goes well.)

THNX again all.

ProwL418
03-20-2003, 05:59 PM
ok when it wants to reboot to phase 2........remove the longhorn disk!!! i had a phew of the same errors, and after a few bugs, removing the disk at that point worked for me.. good luck
u should definately check out the longhorn cracks on kazaa if u plan on using it though...

TRshady
03-20-2003, 06:20 PM
I did exactly the same thing! But didn't make but disks :(

Count yourself lucky

Wizzandabe
03-20-2003, 06:51 PM
Longhorn master here.

i did the same. i partitioned the hdd (5gb) with pmagic 8

i then shut down my pc with the longhorn disk in.

it sed boot for cd (i am running win 98)

then i presed a key

it did phase 1

half way through pase 2 it come up with a fatl error and setup did not continue
so i turned off the pc by the mains

then it booted into xp longhorn and worked fine from there n.

this is weard i onlt did 1 and a hlaf phases and it worked.

i took a load of screanshots and i am going to post em on a web site. so look out for my post.

comming soon